Guidance on selling prices please.

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Today I am trying to sell a few items and no one has even squeaked at me with interest. Normally it’s price that determines interest. I thought as a starting point.
Two of these items are upgraded. I’ve invested somewhere north of $1000 per piece to upgrade them internally.
One is a Finale Galliard 829B SE stereo tube amp. MSRP is over $10k. I bought mine from Finale as a demo unit. So some hours but few. I hardly used it and my total investment including upgrade and new tubes is over $6k. I wonder what price I can expect to get for it? Is 50-60% of my costs reasonable after less than a years ownership and about 50-60 hours use?
The second is my Cocktail Audio X40 SE. The Swiss Army knife of digital sources. It owes me over $3800 including upgrades. Again is 50-60% of my reasonable for about the same use?
Do I need to be cut-throat to make sales?
I have a Cambridge CXUHD that I bought new three months ago. What percent of new price can I expect it will sell at? Of course...but be reasonable.
I offer free shipping or half price shipping...so I have thought of ‘incentives’.
But now it seems I have to get comfortable with letting things go much cheaper than I thought. And I suspect that the upgrades are not understood by almost every buyer and so difficult to monetize. Until they hear the thing! Dammit.

Any good Hi-Fi sales coaches out there please?

89466409-BB9D-4C9D-B8FE-0F0EE478C1FE.jpg

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
At the risk of stating the bleedin obvious, the value is set by how much the market is willing to pay.
So research what price those components fetch when sold s/h
Simply adding up your costs will rarely give an accurate market value, and modifications are only worth more to someone specifically looking for them, so may not inflate the price in the way you hope

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
At the risk of stating the bleedin obvious, the value is set by how much the market is willing to pay.
So research what price those components fetch when sold s/h
Simply adding up your costs will rarely give an accurate market value, and modifications are only worth more to someone specifically looking for them, so may not inflate the price in the way you hope
Indeed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing