Does anybody hear difference with a coffee table in place?

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
In the last few days we installed new Art Novion absorbers at Priaptor's Palace .
We had been discussing cleaning up the area between his speakers and removing the TV on wall ( covered with a custom cloth cover) and also removing the clutter that the TV required ( some small speakers, a receiver and some other crap). He had room treatments in the center as well.

This relatively small activity made huge changes in Sound Stage and width, dynamic range and detail.
I will let Howie speak for his feelings if he so desires however for those on this thread that want to deny the facts about the room, speaker placement and the path that sound will travel in
All i can say is party on Garth! Party on Wayne!
All the tweeks in the world can not fix what is wrong to begin with.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
2018-08-05 20.24.01.jpg

this is an after photo, and a bad picture taken in a dark room with a flash

T Boost

VIP/Donor
Jul 21, 2018
Canada
oh and btw, welcome to What's Best Forum.......and I like the picture of your listening room. looks like a very nice and elegant spot to listen.....with some serious gear.

best regards,

Mike
Who knew? This was 5 yrs ago.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Anything between the speakers and a direct beam to you is bad.

Reflections aside? This is true.

Tom

Yeti

Dec 25, 2020
France
If you have to suffer a coffee table between you and the speakers, can you ameliorate the effect slightly by cluttering it up to break up reflections? I’m very adept at this.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Many years back when I had my main system in our living room I had no choice but to live with a coffee table. I found that by putting a soft blanket or 2 over it when playing music greatly diminished any deleterious sonic effects.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Smith

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
Many years back when I had my main system in our living room I had no choice but to live with a coffee table. I found that by putting a soft blanket or 2 over it when playing music greatly diminished any deleterious sonic effects.

A soft table with an easily removable top would be my choice if I had to have a coffee table. Wicker would probably suffice as well.

T Boost

VIP/Donor
Jul 21, 2018
Canada
These things can get pretty loud I guess IMG_0046.jpeg

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing