Does anybody hear difference with a coffee table in place?

T Boost

VIP/Donor
Jul 21, 2018
Canada
20180721_154350.jpg Hey chaps, I just joined this forum and I've searched and can't see that anyone has asked this question before.
Do you have a coffee table in your room between you and your gear? Can anyone hear difference if one is there or not?
Here's mine. It's not large or bulky, maybe why I can't hear a difference.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
View attachment 42790 Hey chaps, I just joined this forum and I've searched and can't see that anyone has asked this question before.
Do you have a coffee table in your room between you and your gear? Can anyone hear difference if one is there or not?
Here's mine. It's not large or bulky, maybe why I can't hear a difference.

I can hear the difference with a small 16" x 16" low table next to (on the side of) my listening position I use for my remote, lap top, cell phone and beverage. for serious listening or groups all tables are banished to either the rear of the room or out of the room. for daily casual listening the table stays.....as I multi-task.

will every system/room have the same sensitivity?

that is a good question.....my guess is that mine is more revealing than some others of this type thing. this is an easy thing to check as small tables are easy to move.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
oh and btw, welcome to What's Best Forum.......and I like the picture of your listening room. looks like a very nice and elegant spot to listen.....with some serious gear.

best regards,

Mike

Reactions: T Boost

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I also hear a difference with my side table in place and even a difference when the laptop on the side table is open or closed. I would think it also depends on your room size, amount of or lack thereof of room treatment, sweet spot position, the system and your ears. Drinking alcoholic beverages seems to reduce any side or coffee table inclusion effects ;-)

Welcome to WBF! Nice system!

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Welcome!

In addition to objects between the listener and the speakers, some people prefer not to have any equipment between the speakers. That is a more difficult problem to solve (I have my equipment between, but behind my speakers). People have their equipment on the side or on the back wall. Finally, some people use material to diffuse or dampen the rear reflections from hard surfaces behind the speakers, and first and second reflection points on the side walls Rear walls are often left more live.

I even visited a home recently with a very nice system with a fancy sound absorbing/reflecting/resonating device positioned half way between the two speakers (nothing else between or behind the speakers - equipment on the side).

Larry

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I can hear a difference, but it isn't particularly significant.

The biggest change you could hear in your room would be if you covered the glass behind your system. I believe it would be a major change for the better. It is at least an experiment worth looking into. My two cents, for whatever that's worth.

Reactions: Opabin

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I am a “purist” in this sense. My chair is low back, no reclining and nothing between me and my speakers.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Some of us are fortunate to have dedicated rooms where we don not have to place tables between us and our speakers, nor do we have to place tall objects between them. For those who must accept some trade offs I wouldn't mess up the fictionality of a room just for improvements that would not be apparent to most just walking into a room.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I am a “purist” in this sense. My chair is low back, no reclining and nothing between me and my speakers.

Same here. I add the coffee table back in when we have dinner parties, but most of time it is out of the room. I agree with Mosin about the glass front wall.

Wecome to WBF. Are those Eggleston speakers? I used to own a pair of Rosas.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
More Canadians the better. :b
Welcome to WBF!

* Your table is elegant; it fits your room and it is practical to put your books, your cognac and your cigar box. Leave it there, because I too can't hear a difference for the better or worst.
___

And Peter you are correct.
http://www.chantlibre.com/enceintes-egglestonworks-emma.asp

https://youtu.be/TSEFBDQyl-0
___

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Tw5dWRNvpm8/WLwGmLQO5-I/AAAAAAAB9SM/OiPcVkUen8sREaMc9s5ZKLHDz6_2uFbpwCK4B/s640/16819158_1972516382977255_3770401650134887654_o.jp g

?http://www.tonepublications.com/review/egglestonworks-emma-loudspeakers/

Because "All You Need" ... from the review above ^

https://youtu.be/PHG6dtPT6vs

Last edited:

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Some of us are fortunate to have dedicated rooms where we don not have to place tables between us and our speakers, nor do we have to place tall objects between them. For those who must accept some trade offs I wouldn't mess up the fictionality of a room just for improvements that would not be apparent to most just walking into a room.

My perspective of this is that everything matters. Looking at your system I can't imagine you have "things" between your speakers and listening location or that you have a lounge chair/recliner with a high back.

The point being, it depends what we are looking for and what are preferences are. If I wanted my listening area to be a show and entertaining area, yeah no problem with a coffee table, high back chair, ottoman, speakers stuck in a wall unit, etc BUT if I were looking for high fidelity that befits a system with X2s, Momentum M-400s, etc, there would be no way I would compromise that experience.

Just my opinion but also just laying out the bare truth as I see it, especially if you are investing big time in a gear. It took me years to find the optimal listening chair.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I hope you continue to enjoy your music, system while putting up your feet on a coffee table. Listen comfortably.
My system is in my office. I sit behind a huge glass working table. Any sound differences? Of course. But my wife keeps reminding me not to be too silly ;). I like it when my system “caught me off guard” working while listening. I don’t hear any differences when my dog sleeps in front of one side of my horn though.

Kind regards,
Tang

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
it_prd_ovw_nelson_platform_bench_01.jpg.rendition.480.480.jpg

This is the coffee table I use, Nelson Bench by Herman Miller. And, as a bonus, it acts as a scatter plate.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
This is one of those differences usually easily measurable (and audible). I did some work in mixing/mastering studios and both the soffit speakers and console mounted speakers had an obvious bounce off the console. In your room, of course, the distance (and angle) to the table is much different.

But how large is the problem and how much does it affect your listening pleasure? If not much, leave it alone and put your feet up and enjoy your music.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing