Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
True what you've just said; the proof is in his film's audio soundtracks...some of the top gun best. I'm sure Tom has something to do with it, working with the music composers and film mixers. I am amazed @ the audiophile motion picture soundtracks of his films.

I can give many examples but if Tom's Mission Impossible fans are reading this, plus his other films in the last number of years...Live - Die - Repeat, Oblivion, Top Gun (a sequel is in the works, that's right), ...they know what I'm talking about; on 4K, in 3D, on Blu-ray, on DVD, on Laser Disc, on VHS tape.

The surround sound action in his films is generally top notch, and the bass impact is tremendous...read very very very satisfying. Look no further than just the last two Mission Impossible flicks...M:I-4 and M:I-5 ... M:I-3 and M:I-2 too.

Edge of Tomorrow the same, and Oblivion.

Tom Cruise is affiliated with excellent action scenes and excellent audio soundtracks.

...Collateral, War of the Worlds, Eyes Wide Shut, Jack Reacher, Minority Report, Magnolia, Days of Thunder, The Last Samurai, Born on the Fourth of July, The Color of Money, Knight and Day, Far and Away, ...

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
True what you've just said; the proof is in his film's audio soundtracks...some of the top gun best. I'm sure Tom has something to do with it, working with the music composers and film mixers. I am amazed @ the audiophile motion picture soundtracks of his films.

I can give many examples but if Tom's Mission Impossible fans are reading this, plus his other films in the last number of years...Live - Die - Repeat, Oblivion, Top Gun (a sequel is in the works, that's right), ...they know what I'm talking about; on 4K, in 3D, on Blu-ray, on DVD, on Laser Disc, on VHS tape.

The surround sound action in his films is generally top notch, and the bass impact is tremendous...read very very very satisfying. Look no further than just the last two Mission Impossible flicks...M:I-4 and M:I-5 ... M:I-3 and M:I-2 too.

Edge of Tomorrow the same, and Oblivion.

Tom Cruise is affiliated with excellent action scenes and excellent audio soundtracks.

...Collateral, War of the Worlds, Eyes Wide Shut, Jack Reacher, Minority Report, Magnolia, Days of Thunder, ...

Wow, War of the Worlds - W stands for worst.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/art...ble-fallout-is-the-perfect-showcase-for-next/

https://www.laineygossip.com/mission-impossible-fallout-starring-tom-cruise-movie-review/50450/amp

? https://nationalpost.com/entertainment/movies/mission-impossible-fallout-tom-cruise-ethan-hunt

This film is everywhere, no matter which beach I'm walking on.
I think I'm going to see it, in (((3D)))

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Another great review: http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/movie-review-mission-impossible-fallout

What would be Tom Cruise's number one trademark?
1. Doing all his stunts himself.
2. Doing all his stunts himself.
3. Or doing all his stunts himself.

We have Star Wars, we have Guardians of the Galaxy, we have Avengers, we have Jurassic Park, we have Black Panther, we have Wonder Woman, we have James Bond, we have Aquaman, we have Jack Reacher, we have John Wick, and we have Mission Impossible.

Between James Bond and Ethan Hunt, how long till one gives up before the other one?

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I went to see Fallout today. Very good crowd for an early matinee at my local theater.

Enjoyed the movie for what it was - fun action flick. Good locations in Paris, London and Kashmir.

Lots of car chases and aerial chases, too.

Was a bit too long in my opinion at 2 hours and 28 minutes. Caught myself checking my watch at about the 2 hour mark.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I think the older we get long movies take a toll on us, in particular inside a public movie theater. I could handle them better when I was much younger.

* 'Interstellar' is twenty minutes longer (2h. 49m.), but somehow I was able to go along for the entire ride, @ the movie theater.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I went to see Fallout today. Very good crowd for an early matinee at my local theater.

Enjoyed the movie for what it was - fun action flick. Good locations in Paris, London and Kashmir.

Lots of car chases and aerial chases, too.

Was a bit too long in my opinion at 2 hours and 28 minutes. Caught myself checking my watch at about the 2 hour mark.

..2 hrs 28 mins of Tom Cruise?...uh no

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Another great review: http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/movie-review-mission-impossible-fallout

What would be Tom Cruise's number one trademark?
1. Doing all his stunts himself.
2. Doing all his stunts himself.
3. Or doing all his stunts himself.

We have Star Wars, we have Guardians of the Galaxy, we have Avengers, we have Jurassic Park, we have Black Panther, we have Wonder Woman, we have James Bond, we have Aquaman, we have Jack Reacher, we have John Wick, and we have Mission Impossible.

Between James Bond and Ethan Hunt, how long till one gives up before the other one?

Wooden acting? having his so called wife's on contracts?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Trailer looks amazing and just watched a video where he was training and they did the HALO jumps in real life with Cruise, no stuntman/double. Amazing....WOW was not a great film with respect to his acting but I do enjoy the MI franchise. The supporting cast makes it even better...

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I like most of these MI movies. I was a big fan when it was a TV show. I'm not a Tom Cruise "fan" but these particular movies are quite entertaining. And for those of us who have 3D audio systems (aka Dolby Atmos or DTS:X), some of these have those soundtracks and make the movie even more "engaging".

Looking forward to seeing this one at home.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I like most of these MI movies. I was a big fan when it was a TV show. I'm not a Tom Cruise "fan" but these particular movies are quite entertaining. And for those of us who have 3D audio systems (aka Dolby Atmos or DTS:X), some of these have those soundtracks and make the movie even more "engaging".

Looking forward to seeing this one at home.

Cruise is a strange person, but he always brings it when it comes to action movies. Also, as a science fiction fan, I like that he sponsors science fiction projects that are usually high quality. Oblivion, Edge of Tomorrow and Minority Report are some of my favorites.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
For me, Tom Cruise is perhaps less an actor than someone whose performance style has reduced acting to action. That is, he has transposed the inner journey of a character into a collection of external physical signifiers, existing solely on the surface in which they are manifest in on/off dynamics.

There is so little nuance in these flexions that any sense of the character’s humanity is erased, and is replaced with a domineering physical presence in an attempt to make up for a lack of internally-generated characterisation. Instead of character beats offering a degree of shading, complexity or juxtaposition to the story beats deepening our connection to the story and the character’s journey, we’re given character beats that mimic and literalise them. Tom Cruise no longer stars as a character in action films - he is the action.

That he has occasionally demonstrated abilities of surprising subtlety (most notably in Magnolia), those few exceptions appear more as a testament to the willingness of the casting director to embrace the idiosyncrasies of the director (1).

Cruise’s career then is one that can be ultimately summarised as see Tom run, see Tom jump, see Tom yell.

That he has now become his own stuntman is perhaps the ultimate expression of this.

All in my opinion, if that wasn't already obvious.

853guy

(1) Paul Thomas Anderson also managed to eek a similarly career-best performance out of Adam Sandler in Punch Drunk Love, while I thought Francis Coppola and Doug Liman got nice performances from Cruise in The Firm and Edge of Tomorrow, respectively.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Cruise is a strange person, but he always brings it when it comes to action movies. Also, as a science fiction fan, I like that he sponsors science fiction projects that are usually high quality. Oblivion, Edge of Tomorrow and Minority Report are some of my favorites.

Did you mean Science fiction or Scientology

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing