Musical Paralysis - at age 30?

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Graham,

yes, as I wrote at the end of my essay on Stockhausen's Mikrophonie I , which is very scratchy, noisy, clangy music for tam-tam, 2 microphones, and 2 filters with potentiometers (6 players):

"MIKROPHONIE I is a thoroughly amazing work and one of my Stockhausen favorites, "noisy" as it is. And yes, on the other end of the musical spectrum I also love the brooding romanticism of Schubert’s late piano sonata in B major, D 960, with its marvelous melodic and harmonic magic (such kinds of magic are heard in many Stockhausen works as well). Great music comes in many forms."

http://home.earthlink.net/~almoritz/mikrophonie1.htm
Thanks Al,
Haven’t listened to Stockhausen in a long long time, just put on his piano pieces, forgot how much I enjoyed this and will chase up Mikrophonie for a listen.

On Schubert... yes, any day is a good day for Schubert (his music always on my desert island playlist) I have been a bit abducted by Roon, quobuz and tidal over the last few years and find no end to marvellous new to me music. Music, so little time and such a big universe.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
My dad loved the Beatles and the Eagles and Dr. Hook and Creedence Clearwater Revival. I can remember when I got old enough to be able to lower the stylus onto the records, and soon after purchased my first ever cassette tape: The Cars Heartbeat City, followed not long after by Frankie Goes to Hollywood, the Sex Pistols, Iron Maiden and Falco.

And while I was playing in bands and hanging out with other music nerds, by the time I was in the last year of high-school I was the only one who was listening to Bad Brains and Peter Gabriel. Steve Reich and Verdi. Branford Marsalis and Rush. Brian Eno and Pantera. The Art of Noise and Henry Rollins.

By my mid-twenties, I was reading NME, Mojo, Q, the Wire, Downbeat and Gramophone religiously. I was devouring everything in the ECM catalogue; buying remastered reissues from Sony Classical Masterworks, Columbia, Impulse and Blue Note; tracking down obscure dark ambient works on now-defunct labels in the Netherlands; recommending Julie Miller, Nina Nastasia and Gillian Welch to anyone who’d listen; mining indie/post-rock/electronica/free-jazz artists on Chemikal Underground, Warp, Hathut, Touch and Go, Tzadik, Thrill Jockey, Apollo, Axiom, Earache, Screwgun, and JMT, et al; and finding my male singer/songwriter itch scratched by Joe Henry, Ron Sexsmith and Robbie Fulks.

Now in my early forties, as my posts in "What’s Spinning Tonight" perhaps attest to, I still find it pretty easy to discover new music. I don’t buy as much as I once did, though that’s partly because I used to buy an album a day if not more, and that I’ve become more discerning about what I do buy (I really didn’t need all of those Keith Jarrett albums, but they looked good stacked together on the shelf). That, and I now have other priorities aside from food, shelter and a massive record collection.

And though my appetite for new music is as insatiable as perhaps it ever was, it’s also true to say that there are many genres I’ve simply never connected with. If anything, I’d say my tastes have become more refined within a select range of musical forms. I’d be the last person to claim I’m not stuck in a few well-worn ruts. Perhaps I'm fortunate those same ruts happen to be filled with artists and labels still committed to putting out new music and reissues, despite the fact many of them are little more than passion projects.

Best,

853guy

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Al, it was a touring group of young Dutch string musicians, 14-18 years of age, w the avowed aim of publicising lesser known composers.
And absolutely fantastic they were too.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing