Miyajima Zero

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I just purchased a Miyajima Zero cartridge which I am going to mount on my SME 3012R.

For those who have used this cartridge what tracking force and loading did you prefer?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
David, according to my notes, my Zero is set at 4.0 grams tracking. I think we did 1000 ohms loading. I remember the tracking force is pretty heavy. Stirling Trayle is my TT setup guy, so he dialed in things. My Zero is in a VPI wand. Good listening. It is a great cartridge. Larry

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
David, according to my notes, my Zero is set at 4.0 grams tracking. I think we did 1000 ohms loading. I remember the tracking force is pretty heavy. Stirling Trayle is my TT setup guy, so he dialed in things. My Zero is in a VPI wand. Good listening. It is a great cartridge. Larry

Thanks Larry. That’s what my dealer suggested.

SMKL

Feb 5, 2018
David,

I’m tracking mine at 3.5g with great results. Antiskating set to 3.0

Do you have a Miyajima ETR-Mono? It’s superb with the Zero.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
David,

So you are playing the ETR into your stereo phono? Are you throwing a mono switch?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
David,

No, I am using my Doshi phono preamp with the Zero.

SMKL

Feb 5, 2018
So you are playing the ETR into your stereo phono? Are you throwing a mono switch?

Unfortunately my phono doesn’t have a Mono switch. The ETR-Mono does output a coherent signal to both channels and it in the hands of faith to see if my stereo phono messes up.

SMKL

Feb 5, 2018
No, I am using my Doshi phono preamp with the Zero.

I have tested the stereo phono once where I fed the Test LP Azimuth test track (with L-R at recorded 180 degrees difference)using a stereo Cart into the ETR Mono to collapse both channels which in turn goes into the stereo phono for playback. It was dead silent. From there, I am pretty comfortable running the stereo phono for mono duties as well. Give it a try.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
My experience with the Miyajima Zero into my stereo phono pre is very similar to playing a mono tape through my preamp. No issues. What I get with a good mono recording is a fabulous big sound. I have to listen for specific instrument locations to realize that it is a mono recording. Otherwise, it just is a great big, wide and deep sound. The surface noise of older mono recordings is also greatly reduced. I play with the phono EQ settings on early pre RIAA mono recordings.

Larry

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
My experience with the Miyajima Zero into my stereo phono pre is very similar to playing a mono tape through my preamp. No issues. What I get with a good mono recording is a fabulous big sound. I have to listen for specific instrument locations to realize that it is a mono recording. Otherwise, it just is a great big, wide and deep sound. The surface noise of older mono recordings is also greatly reduced. I play with the phono EQ settings on early pre RIAA mono recordings.

Larry

Thanks Larry.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing