Alma

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015
I am familiar with her, although I have not seen this interview.

As a musician (violinist and pianist) she is extremely talented. Tons of potential.

As a composer, I am not impressed.

Regurgitating music styles from over a century ago, does nothing for me. But then, she is only 13, after all.;)

Hopefully this is her way of absorbing the history of musical theory, until she matures enough to compose modern pieces unique to her.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I am familiar with her, although I have not seen this interview.

As a musician (violinist and pianist) she is extremely talented. Tons of potential.

As a composer, I am not impressed.

Regurgitating music styles from over a century ago, does nothing for me. But then, she is only 13, after all.;)

Hopefully this is her way of absorbing the history of musical theory, until she matures enough to compose modern pieces unique to her.

+1

Unimpressive as a composer for the reason you cited.

Sure, Stockhausen also was more conservative for a few years before he became himself as a composer -- and became one of the greatest, no less, in my view.

But he was never that conservative, and even his 'Choirs for Doris' had an impressive, fresh quality about them that is just lacking with Alma. But ok, he didn't compose as a child.

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
A 13 year old with that talent will hopefully become a legend as an adult. We can always use more talent! That reminds me, is there a thread here in the classical forum regarding modern composers? I'd like to learn more about them if possible.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
A 13 year old with that talent will hopefully become a legend as an adult. We can always use more talent! That reminds me, is there a thread here in the classical forum regarding modern composers? I'd like to learn more about them if possible.
Watched some of her YouTube videos over the past years even used them to push my own kids to practice more when they’re not in the mood, she’s an amazing talent.

Not a lot on post modern composers on wtb forums, would be a nice thread to start.
david

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Watched some of her YouTube videos over the past years even used them to push my own kids to practice more when they’re not in the mood, she’s an amazing talent.

Not a lot on post modern composers on wtb forums, would be a nice thread to start.
david

Check out Frederic Bernard. Like his work.

https://soundcloud.com/fredericbernard/spaghetti-con-brio

https://soundcloud.com/fredericbernard/the-amazing-adventures-of-mr-alice

https://soundcloud.com/fredericbernard/kitchen-fiasco

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing