Some News About The Site Being Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi all

I have been on the phone for several hours this morning with our web host.

Clearly a server went down and affected many users. It is unknown yet whether the site was hacked but curiously to support this notion both audio shark.org and audiosciencereview.com also are down and they use different servers

The site might still be slightly slow until this is all ironed out

Once the server is up and functioning they will do an extensive search to see if the site was hacked. All of our passwords have been changed at the admin level but just to be safe I would suggest that members not only change their password but do this every three months

Once I know more, I will share it with the membership but in the mean while consider changing your passwords

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
We can do with passwords being hacked but the distress at missing out on the exchanges that were going on the forum was a bit too much

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
It lasted over four hours. I wonder if the Russians are behind this ... ;)

And yes, the site was down for everyone, same with couple other sites Steve just mentioned above. Very strange, I've never seen this like that before.

Steve Williams

It lasted over four hours. I wonder if the Russians are behind this ... ;)

that would be the least of our worries if we were hacked and that is why I suggest changing passwords

Steve Williams

Just as another data point audioaficionado.org was also inaccessible.

Thanks for the follow up

I was on the phone for hours with the support team and the things the hackers can do is mind boggling

Vbulletin sent out a message a few days ago that their database was hacked and everyone was advised to change their passwords to bulletin.com

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
That's four of them now. What do they have in common?
1. whatsbestforum
2. audioshark
3. audioaficionado
4. audiosciencereview

Opinions:)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
First opinion: I think someone found a vBulletin vulnerability with some version(s), and they are hitting any sites running it. We are just mostly interested in audio sites, and we happen to have checked only those.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Trump/Putin meeting and press conference, and an hour later four audio websites go down? A coincidence?

I don’t think so! :D

Steve Williams

First opinion: I think someone found a vBulletin vulnerability with some version(s), and they are hitting any sites running it. We are just mostly interested in audio sites, and we happen to have checked only those.

That was my feeling as well after talking to the support team.

Steve Williams

one final note today from our web host. They ran 35 different antiviral, malware, trojan horse programs etc and there was zero evidence that we were hacked.

7 items were placed in quarantine but no evidence of hacking

Simply put this was a server that went down for 4 hours yesterday

Difficult to know why other sites were also down as they use a different web host.

Hopefully clear sailing from here on out

Again I suggest everyone change their passwords every 3 months as a precaution

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing