Paul McGowan’s Post: More Than Enough

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Guys it’s bad to trash legacy amps lol. Mac amps have sound many love like pass amps too.
I like the sound of SS amps but do use a tube dac so I get a bit of tubby fix

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Mcintosh is known for squashing dynamics. So you won't see it on the meter. LOL

I guess the main point was that the power was quite a bit lower than what one might expect...but that is because power to SPL is not a linear relationship and people are often overestimating what they use.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/understanding-mcintosh-meters

Power meters that show true power need to monitor current, voltage and even phase angle at the output. Most power meters on stereo equipment apparently just take a voltage from somewhere in the driver circuitry and make assumptions about the output i.e. 8 ohms.

Power meters are eye candy. Ken Rockwell measured some older equipment with power meters and found that they are only vaguely accurate around 10 watts RMS into 8 ohms, but tend to overestimate by 50 to 100 percent or more when reading peaks.

So, I guess if a power meter bounces high, it's more because it looks cool than has any relevance to actual power output. They can still show, however, that most routine program material remains at very low power i.e. watts to fractions of watt.

I still kind of like them and use them as general guides while listening.

You aren't gonna take away guys' monster amps any more than you're gonna take away their monster trucks. Damn the sound quality, excess rules!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing