Sharp Objects on HBO

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
We were watching a pretty interesting Netflix series that we started the other night so we missed the final episode last night. We have it recorded so we will finish it off this evening.

Steve
If you haven't watched the first two seasons of the Netflix series "Occupied" it is well done. It takes place in Norway so only part of the dialog is in English. It is subtitled but we never found it to be distracting and usually my wife will pass on these shows. Not this one. Looking forward to Season 3 next year.

The premise of the show is not too farfetched.

Jim

make sure after you have the wtf just happened moment make sure to watch the rolling credits where at the end in a series of rapid sequences that must be watched over and over and pause your DVR to see each scene

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Jim

make sure after you have the wtf just happened moment make sure to watch the rolling credits where at the end in a series of rapid sequences that must be watched over and over and pause your DVR to see each scene

Steve
Will do..Thanks for the heads up!

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Jim

I enjoyed this series. It slowly built up and especially enjoyed the ending. That last scene is a WTF moment, but as Steve says watch until the very end credits.

Steve Williams

I enjoyed this series. It slowly built up and especially enjoyed the ending. That last scene is a WTF moment, but as Steve says watch until the very end credits.

Hi Vern. I can’t say we didn’t enjoy it. Rather it was a slowly growing story that quickly peaked and ended But get your pause buttons ready amfor the final few seconds of the rolling credits

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I enjoyed the series but they tied things up pretty poorly.

Don’t read past this point unless you have seen the ending.

They didn’t have to show Camille withering on the floor for 5 minutes and then show who the killers were during the credits. If you blinked you missed some really important facts. If the writers didn’t think these facts were important enough to give them their proper due during the actual show they should have left them out.

Second, they did not show that Adora knew that Amma was responsible and decided to take the fall for her. That was a pretty important part.

The character development was excellent and I enjoyed Amy Adams, Patricia Clarkson and the rest of the cast, but the writer falls short as a mystery writer.

I enjoyed HBO’s other murder mystery, The Night Of, much more.

Steve Williams

SPOILER ALERT-DONT READ UNLESS WATCHED

I enjoyed the series but they tied things up pretty poorly.

Don’t read past this point unless you have seen the ending.

They didn’t have to show Camille withering on the floor for 5 minutes and then show who the killers were during the credits. If you blinked you missed some really important facts. If the writers didn’t think these facts were important enough to give them their proper due during the actual show they should have left them out.

Second, they did not show that Adora knew that Amma was responsible and decided to take the fall for her. That was a pretty important part.

The character development was excellent and I enjoyed Amy Adams, Patricia Clarkson and the rest of the cast, but the writer falls short as a mystery writer.

I enjoyed HBO’s other murder mystery, The Night Of, much more.

Great points, certainly Adora who did have Munchausen By Proxy and did take the fall,but one has to wonder if she was trying to eliminate both Amma and perhaps Camille with her blue bottle concoction at the end

I couldn't get why Camille went home thinking she knew who the killer was only to lay down and succumb to her wishes. She had a lot of sh!t going on her mind I guess

So many implausible things such as how easily it was for the FBI agent (Richard) get a hold of the medical records

One has to wonder how Camille mutilated her back by writing words and sentences on her back

I totally agree but then again she was the Executive Producer

However you can't leave out that info but honestly we watched it over and over with and without the pause button and it is so important that it somehow needed to be shown differently in the story. That was a 4-5 second multiple scene key to the entire thing

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Steve, I thought Richard got the hospital records from the nurse who was fired. She said she kept a copy.

I agree with your other points. One shouldn’t have to work so hard to know who did it!

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Last two episodes were too cute; much better done in the book. The episode with the Calhoun Days was superfluous and not in the book. The book ending was better....For example, Camille figured out Adora was poisoning Amma and had killed her sister. She took the 'medicine' so that when she puked, they could analyze for poison....

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Amma using the dead girls' teeth to recreate the ivory floor in the doll house is the best thing I've seen this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Amma using the dead girls' testy to recreate the ivory floor in the doll house is the best thing I've seen this year.

Do you think that the loose tooth that Camille found was from her newly murdered friend?

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Last two episodes were too cute; much better done in the book. The episode with the Calhoun Days was superfluous and not in the book. The book ending was better....For example, Camille figured out Adora was poisoning Amma and had killed her sister. She took the 'medicine' so that when she puked, they could analyze for poison....

I thought the Calhoun days episode was one of the strongest of the series. The juxtaposition between Adora's revisionist Lost Cause of the Confederacy Calhoun Day and her Munchausen By Proxy was perfect.

Steve Williams

That's what I thought. Haha....twisted.

It had to have been as it was the only one there and she was Amma's newest friend who unfortunately pissed Amma off by stating her life's ambitions

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Well we did watch the final episode last evening, I am sorry that I ended up watching the entire series. I don't like having to work so hard to figure out what the heck is going on. I wasn't surprised that it turned out to be Amma and her friends who murdered the two girls. Those three were about the only ones who weren't afraid to be out skating and partying at night while the hunt for the murderer was ongoing.

I am sure we would have missed the insight provided by those scenes buried in the credits had Steve not suggest4d we watch for them. I would have turned it off when Amma's final words at the end.

What I didn't get was the jump from when Det. Willis left the house being told Camille was with her friends but seeing her car in the drive. Then he shows up shortly thereafter lights flashing along with the Editor from Kansas City.

Steve Williams

What I didn't get was the jump from when Det. Willis left the house being told Camille was with her friends but seeing her car in the drive. Then he shows up shortly thereafter lights flashing along with the Editor from Kansas City.

I agree. The last episode was a total denouement until Amma's final words which then turned to the rolling credits.

Interestingly halfway through the series my wife and I both wondered if Amma was involved.

Adora suffered from Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy however in the final episode one has to wonder if Adora was trying to kill both Amma and Camille. The true ending was so abrupt and not until the end of the rolling credits do we know that it was not only Amma but so also her 2 friends who were accomplices. I just think there should have been a better way to portray what happened. It was tough to spend 8 weeks to have something drag on for 7 episodes only to bring the story to a quick and somewhat unsatisfying ending

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Steve
Here are three series that IMO were much better to watch.

Broadchurch
The Fall
Happy Valley

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
The Fall was much better. I had a hard time with Sharp Objects. If someone asked me if they should watch, I would answer no.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
The Fall was much better. I had a hard time with Sharp Objects. If someone asked me if they should watch, I would answer no.

+1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing