Sharp Objects on HBO

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Just finished the book by the author of "Gone Girl". This looks interesting.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Mark, did you like the book? I read mixed reviews. I plan on watching the show.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Not as good as Gone Girl. I am intrigued with the casting of Amy Adams as the main character.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I found the first three episodes a bit slow. Amy Adams was an Executive Producer, hence her involvement in the miniseries

She also looks kind of frumpy as she seems to have gained a few pounds

I like the pacing, especially compared to the book. The languid visuals are a substitute for the extensive inner monologue in the book rather than having a narrator.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Mark

How true is it to the book. We are still watching and will finish it. I loved Gone Girl

Adheres pretty close to the book but the pacing is different. One thing that has not been developed as extensively as the book so far is the relationship with the dead sister, especially vis a vis Amma. I thought the book was too short which made the ending rushed. I'm looking forward to the second half of the series. I suspect that Amy Adams packed on a few pounds for the role as an alcoholic cutter just out of the hospital. In my minds eye, it fits the idea of someone who was the most beautiful girl in the small town and who has prematurely faded...

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Adheres pretty close to the book but the pacing is different. One thing that has not been developed as extensively as the book so far is the relationship with the dead sister, especially vis a vis Amma. I thought the book was too short which made the ending rushed. I'm looking forward to the second half of the series. I suspect that Amy Adams packed on a few pounds for the role as an alcoholic cutter just out of the hospital. In my minds eye, it fits the idea of someone who was the most beautiful girl in the small town and who has prematurely faded...

makes sense

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

You nailed it. Really like this show and this modern take on Noir. We'd think nothing of a hard boiled, hard drinking, self destructive male detective working a small town to solve a mystery. Simply casting a woman throws the whole genre on its head.

Steve Williams

as I said we are in but I really like watching a good miniseries when all the episodes are available at once like Netflix or Prime

I haven't read the book but the characters are all small town strange starting with Adora, then Amma, then the police chief and the FBI detective. The manner of death with missing teeth of the young missing girl was spooky.

As Jeffrey points out, this is film noir. Im just not into watching self mutilation but we enjoy watching it.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

I haven't read the book but it seems like the first half of the series was focused on introducing the characters and the relationships, both current and in the past. I am hoping they start to drill into them now and add more details which may result in insight as to who did what, and why.

Adams and Clarkson are top notch actors and are both doing a great job.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
There are times I ask myself why I am still watching this, then again at times it is pretty good. I guess I will stick with it.

My wife keeps asking, why is she continuing to stay at her mothers house?

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
There are times I ask myself why I am still watching this, then again at times it is pretty good. I guess I will stick with it.

There's nothing that says "self mutilation" more than staying at your mother's house.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

She is hoping that maybe, one time, Adora will show her some love.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I found the first three episodes a bit slow. Amy Adams was an Executive Producer, hence her involvement in the miniseries

She also looks kind of frumpy as she seems to have gained a few pounds

Agreed, got bored.

Steve Williams

well the series is over and we were one of the few who probably stuck with it until the end

8 episodes of which the first 6 1/2 episodes were filled with dreams, memories and flash backs many of which were so back and forth that it made me pause to think where am I in the story. Throughout the series my wife and I suspected who the killer was and it wasn't until more than all the way through episode 7 that the killer is "revealed. Episode 8 is almost a classic denouement until the last 2 minutes of the story when a typical Gillian Flynn moment occurs that leaves you with a wtf just happened ?

Then "the end"with the rolling credits. If you didn't watch the end of the rolling credits you missed it all

All in all I would give it a 6.5 out of 10. I thought Amy Adams acting in it was just meh

Amma was terrific as was Adora

Glad it's over. Watch at your own peril

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
We were watching a pretty interesting Netflix series that we started the other night so we missed the final episode last night. We have it recorded so we will finish it off this evening.

Steve
If you haven't watched the first two seasons of the Netflix series "Occupied" it is well done. It takes place in Norway so only part of the dialog is in English. It is subtitled but we never found it to be distracting and usually my wife will pass on these shows. Not this one. Looking forward to Season 3 next year.

The premise of the show is not too farfetched.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing