Stereo image biased toward right

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Couple thoughts:

1) I have one side open (left speaker) and that side tends to dominate as well.

2) the 18NS balance control does nothing between 10 and 2. The manual says it was designed this way on purpose so that anything close to 12 will be perfect balance.

Interesting. I did not remember this unique aspect . Are you saying that at John's 10 o'clock position the balance is perfect central? Measurements would have shown it immediately.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Interesting. I did not remember this unique aspect . Are you saying that at John's 10 o'clock position the balance is perfect central? Measurements would have shown it immediately.

No, what I’m saying is that the central position is purposely very wide and it probably only starts to affect balance once you move to past the 10:00 or 2:00 positions (give or take some).

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal

This is the explanation of the balance control from the 18NS manual:

"This is not a standard balance control (of course, it
is a darTZeel machine)!
When using the Balance, the change only begins
after about plus and minus 5 degrees of rotation,
ensuring that when you are close to middle posi-
tion, balance channel is kept dead center.
At full right position, R channel is increased by 3.5
dB, L channel lowered by 3.5 dB.
At full Left position, L channel is increased by 3.5
dB, R channel lowered by 3.5 dB.
This feature allows for very fine adjustment, and
keeps global loudness at same level even while
altering the balance control from central position.
User Manual, version 0.93
Page 6 of 10"
I am noticing a difference at the 10 o'clock position which might be where the change kicks in. IMO this means that you can use the balance control to correct an imbalance caused by the room or other cause without compromising the sound.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing