Determining tonearm/cartridge compatibility

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have been reading with much interest the latest threads about arm length. There was some discussion about moment of inertia, cartridge compliance, etc. It seems to me that the various resonance frequency calculators are fairly basic. They ask for the arm's effective mass, the cartridge plus mounting hardware weight and the cartridge compliance, but it seems much more complicated than that.

I have been playing with the dampening trough of my SME arm recently and have observed how this effects sound. It seems to me that many factors can influence the cartridge/arm match up and overall sound of the combination:

1. Where the counterweight is located in relation to the arm's pivot point which effects inertia,
2. Where the mass of the armtube is concentrated (straight tube or tapered away from the bearing),
3. The length of the arm versus the weight of the cartridge effecting inertia,
4. Is additional fluid damping being used, at the cartridge end or near the pivot,
5. Bearing type in the arm.

There may be other factors.

I am noticing that because my two cartridge have a difference in weight of 2.0 grams, have different compliances, 8 vs. 10, that some of the differences in sound may be related to how my 12" arm moves which is a result of its changing effective mass, the changing moment of inertia, and the dampening with which I am experimenting.

I guess the calculators are a starting point, but there are many factors which contribute to a good tonearm cartridge match and for optimizing the performance of the system.

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Peter, your post touches on just some of the numerous reasons why analog can be so very frustrating to so many hobbyists. The number of variables is enormous in regards to 'correct' set up. Some will argue that once VTA, SRA, VTF and correct arm to spindle is set...then that is the actual 'best' set up. Others will experiment with damping, and a host of other variables..before claiming that nirvana has been reached. To some, the ability to constantly modify the set up is paramount. ( For each and every record!)
The tonearm/cartridge compatibility is another variable...and BTW, are we assuming that all cartridges of the same make and model are exactly the same in all their parameters? Somehow,I think one can go down this rabbit hole and never come back.IME, once the cartridge is set up as to my first point, I personally leave it alone...too many other things to enjoy within the music...and too many other variables in overall system set up that I believe have a much greater effect on the whole.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing