Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Studer A820 owner/operator training in Los Angeles

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar

Studer A820 owner/operator training in Los Angeles

A three-day program in Los Angeles with Fred Thal this September 2018

maximum number of attendees: eight persons

enrollment deadline: July 18, 2018

tuition: to be announced

Produced in Switzerland between 1985 and 1992 the Studer A820 is regarded world-wide as the most sophisticated and advanced analog audio recorder ever created. This course is designed for present day owners of the quarter and half-inch version two-channel A820 mastering machines, to provide them with a deeper understanding and appreciation of what went into the A820 design and construction and why.

Emphasis will be on machine familiarization, construction, service issues facing owners today, analog tape playback fundamentals and using the many powerful advanced features accessible through the A820 software structured user interface.

About the presenter: Fred Thal has a diverse background in automotive, mechanical and structural engineering, physics, metrology, electrical construction and architecture. He began studying analog audio magnetic tape recorder design in the early 1980s. After working for some of the major manufacturers of professional audio tape machines, he specialized in the refurbishment of the famous Studer A80, A800 and A820 recorder/reproducers. Today his company, ATAE, designs and builds new products based heavily on those classic Studer designs.

Additional guest presenters to be be announced.

If you are interested in participating in this training seminar please express your interest on this thread.

(Fred Thal asked me to post this announcement.)
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Air Tight Opus-1; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse; line stage: VTL TL-7.5 Series III; amplifier: VTL Siegfried Series II; loudspeaker: Gryphon Pendragon; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Vintage Audio Nothing racks, Herzan TS-140/Taiko Tana for Io, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Torus AVR60BAL; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; acoustic treatment: ASC IsoThermal Tube Traps, Lumitex drapes

A couple of questions:

- will this be held over a long weekend or during the week?
    - I'm a new owner of a soon to be delivered A810. Would there be any value in me taking this course? I am an electrical engineer by training (although have spent most of my career in the hi tech sw world), so I understand the basics of electronics, have soldering skills, know how to read resistor values, etc. I'd love to learn more about my new machine and how to properly care for, operate, and repair it, when necessary.
    Speakers: Magico M3 + Q-Sub 15 (x2)
    Preamp: Constellation Virgo III
    Amps: Berning 211/845 monoblocks
    Cables: Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 7
    Power: Ansuz Acoustics Mainz8 D-TC, Ansuz Diamond cords
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi Stack
    Analog: clearaudio Master Innovation, clearaudio TT1 linear tonearm w/ Goldfinger cartridge, clearaudio Universal tonearm w/ Benz Micro mono cartridge
    Racks: HRS SXR (4x3), clearaudio TT stand

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] c1ferrari's Avatar
    Preliminary interest, here. It would be informative to see the program/agenda, when available.
    As expressed previously, will the curriculum/instruction be focused on beginning, intermediate, or advanced operators?
    Fred, don't forget recording.
    Vbr,

Sam
    SPQCV

[Industry Expert] Senior Member Fred Thal's Avatar
    ksalno's questions have been answered privately.
    Adolph Friederich (Fred) Thal
    Technical Director and Founder, Audio Transfer Laboratory
    Managing Director, ATAE ataudioeng.com

[Industry Expert] Senior Member Fred Thal's Avatar
    Why A820 owner training?

Car analogies can be apt.

Imagine that you're introduced to a fellow Ferrari owner.

Eager to talk with him, you learn that he owns three of these cars, of different vintages. He proudly recites their horsepower ratings. From that you guess he might be an engine guy.

So you mention how his collection reflects the contributions of Colombo, Lampredi and Jano.

Imagine your disappointment when your conversationalist responds to you with a blank stare.

Then he makes things worse, by volunteering that he's presently having the cylinder heads of his 365GTC "upgraded" by his "expert", a discredited shop with an unfortunate reputation for ruining Ferrari cylinder heads.

What can you say? You dearly love Ferrari, but you realize that you're standing next to an ignoramus. Your evening has been ruined by meeting this guy.

There are perhaps at least eleven A820 owners who look at this forum. That's a significant number.

My concept of A820 owner training is about cultivating deeper owner appreciation. So we cover about forty-five subject areas over three days.

Owner training is also about proselytizing the importance of respecting and preserving something that's a true classic. It's about helping owners become more knowledgeable enthusiasts, so that they can be responsible stewards of these special machines. That level of product knowledge often fosters even greater enjoyment, and some owners might then want to continue on a path of learning much more.
    Adolph Friederich (Fred) Thal
    Technical Director and Founder, Audio Transfer Laboratory
    Managing Director, ATAE ataudioeng.com

Hi Fred,
    I don't own a A820 or a Ferrari but that analogy is classic! "Your evening has been ruined by meeting this guy," I truly feel your pain sometimes in life. I do hope they are maintained well so I can hear one some day.

Dave
    Speakers: Rockport Avior, Rockport Mira, B&W 803D
    Amps: Nagra HD Monos & McIntosh MC601 & MC303
    Pre: Nagra HD Pre
    Source: Aurender W20, Esoteric K-01X & G-01
    Grounding: Tripoint Troy Elite & Thor SE(5) Emperor Mkii
    Cable: Transparent Audio Ref Gen 5

Count me in, Fred!

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Air Tight Opus-1; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse; line stage: VTL TL-7.5 Series III; amplifier: VTL Siegfried Series II; loudspeaker: Gryphon Pendragon; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Vintage Audio Nothing racks, Herzan TS-140/Taiko Tana for Io, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Torus AVR60BAL; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; acoustic treatment: ASC IsoThermal Tube Traps, Lumitex drapes

Me Too Fred, thanks again for sourcing the wonderful A820 machine for me, I’m loving it! You were absolutely right, it is almost NOS, well-loved, and purring like a kitten; that is, until you hit play, then lalala!!

Many thanks to the wonderful folks at ATAE for this fine machine!

...maybe, we can convince Ron to go ahead and uncrate his .

Cheers!
    Alan

I wonder what topics were covered in training courses 32 years ago by STUDER?

Why there was no 1.820.812.XX record amplifier? Was it because of the incorporation of HX-Pro in 1.820.811.XX?

Now the audiences are new owners of A820, really like managers of studio, instead of persons who could maintain it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

So we have Sam, Alan and me. Do we have anybody else?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast