Charles Krauthammer, MD may he RIP

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
This comment is not in any way meant to get into politics or religion so if you take it that way you have misread it.

One of the things that I found interesting about CK is that he was born into a family of Orthodox Jews but didn't himself seem to be observant, or even believe in god. But, he found Atheism to be the least plausible form of theology (hopefully I got that right). I find that really interesting.

I didn't always read his stuff but he seemed to conduct himself with integrity which is about all we can ask from people today.

He suffered at the end which is really unfortunate. My guess is that given his challenges along with the way he likely had a pretty good tolerance for discomfort.

Yes it’s an interesting journey he took as a kid. There is a big or was a big population of Orthodox Jews in Montreal, my grandfather was one of them in the early 1900s and for whatever reason many of them “rebelled” against the Jewish Orthodoxy. Maybe it was his vacationing in Long Beach, Long Island where many of the Orthodox converts to Conservative or Reformed spent many a summer when he was a kid.

Despite his choosing against religion and the coming of the Messiah (he really Messianic beliefs) he was incredibly well versed in Judaism, it’s teachings and few could argue against his logic.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Your points are petulant. He was a journalist and conservative pundit who made tremendous contributions to society. Does that mean the man can’t be honored?

When Dylan won the Nobel Prize it was clearly for his political verbiage, praised by many (including me after some thought) despite my disagreement with his politics. I initially was against it, recognized my bias, and upon reflection did realize how much of an influence the man had on my generation and me.

It doesn't matter what his thoughts really are - its still a political response and shouldn't be on an audio forum. If we had a thread on Dylan's politics, it would be inappropriate as well because...its leads to political discussion.

Again, I don't care what anyone's politics are or who they consider esteemed or intellectual because of them. If someone posted up a Lenin's Birthday thread and praised his intellectual being, it would be the same thing. You are misinterpreting my position.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Yes it’s an interesting journey he took as a kid. There is a big or was a big population of Orthodox Jews in Montreal, my grandfather was one of them in the early 1900s and for whatever reason many of them “rebelled” against the Jewish Orthodoxy. Maybe it was his vacationing in Long Beach, Long Island where many of the Orthodox converts to Conservative or Reformed spent many a summer when he was a kid.

Despite his choosing against religion and the coming of the Messiah (he really Messianic beliefs) he was incredibly well versed in Judaism, it’s teachings and few could argue against his logic.

Based on my last visit to that section of Montreal I think the Jewish Orthodox community is still sizable.

My mother grew up on Long Beach (my grandfather owned one of the first automatic car washes on LI) but I was not aware of any of the religious leanings there. She never talked about.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
It doesn't matter what his thoughts really are - its still a political response and shouldn't be on an audio forum. If we had a thread on Dylan's politics, it would be inappropriate as well because...its leads to political discussion.

Again, I don't care what anyone's politics are or who they consider esteemed or intellectual because of them. If someone posted up a Lenin's Birthday thread and praised his intellectual being, it would be the same thing. You are misinterpreting my position.

No I am not misinterpreting your position and your analogizing Lenin’s birthday to this thread says it all.

Plus you obvious miss the Dylan thing.

Continue if you must but for someone against this thread there is no dearth of your participation. Again you seem to be the only one politicizing his death.

Don’t get it.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
And the point?

He's not a journalist, he was a pundit, just like Rachel Maddow.

In this day an age people are being confused by facts and opinions. It was Krauthammer's opinion that there atheism was an "impossible" ideology. In my opinion atheism is the most possible, and the most probable ideology. That's my opinion....

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Your points are petulant. He was a journalist and conservative pundit who made tremendous contributions to society. Does that mean the man can’t be honored?

When Dylan won the Nobel Prize it was clearly for his political verbiage, praised by many (including me after some thought) despite my disagreement with his politics. I initially was against it, recognized my bias, and upon reflection did realize how much of an influence the man had on my generation and me.

We don’t have to get into politics to recognize great people, artists, writers etc contributions to society when they are deserved.

+1

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

In this day an age people are being confused by facts and opinions. It was Krauthammer's opinion that there atheism was an "impossible" ideology. In my opinion atheism is the most possible, and the most probable ideology. That's my opinion....

Sorry but will not go for the absurdly contorted bait.

Your opinion is duly noted. Thank you.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
No, I'm just tired of people putting politics on this audio forum.

With high end audio comes high end people; Charles is high end people.
Screw politics and screw religions. There is none here; it's a universal world, free in the heart and soul.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Bob Dylan, Roger Waters, ...we love them for their greatness...creative music artists/singers/composers/players/poets.
The rest is their own business; we share what we love, the music, the lyrics, the messages.
Charles we love for what he stands, for who he is, for his greatness, his positive communication skills, for peace.

R.I.P. Charles ... There is more greatness to discover in life as in death.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Based on my last visit to that section of Montreal I think the Jewish Orthodox community is still sizable.

My mother grew up on Long Beach (my grandfather owned one of the first automatic car washes on LI) but I was not aware of any of the religious leanings there. She never talked about.

Long Beach is making a big comeback. Interesting how they are building it up and some of the pricing of the real estate. My parents lived their for a few years when it was run down in the 80s.

The Rockaways and Long Beach was where many middle class Jews escaped to. Most were Reformed and Conservative

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Sorry but will not go for the absurdly contorted bait.

Your opinion is duly noted. Thank you.

It's not my opinion that he was a pundit. Here's the opening line from the Washington Post's obit:

"Charles Krauthammer, a Pulitzer Prize-winning Washington Post columnist and intellectual provocateur who championed the muscular foreign policy of neoconservatism that helped lay the ideological groundwork for the 2003 U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, died June 21 at 68."

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Long Beach is making a big comeback. Interesting how they are building it up and some of the pricing of the real estate. My parents lived their for a few years when it was run down in the 80s.

The Rockaways and Long Beach was where many middle class Jews escaped to. Most were Reformed and Conservative

That’s what it was like in the 70s and 80s. I was born in Far Rockaway and grew up on East Rockaway (which isn’t that close to Far).

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
It's not my opinion that he was a pundit. Here's the opening line from the Washington Post's obit:

"Charles Krauthammer, a Pulitzer Prize-winning Washington Post columnist and intellectual provocateur who championed the muscular foreign policy of neoconservatism that helped lay the ideological groundwork for the 2003 U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, died June 21 at 68."

First here is your absurd post I was replying to:

In this day an age people are being confused by facts and opinions. It was Krauthammer's opinion that there atheism was an "impossible" ideology. In my opinion atheism is the most possible, and the most probable ideology. That's my opinion”

For which I said not taking the bait.

Second, your response is nothing more than what I described in the “non thinker” post as the typical “cut and paste” and therefore it is mentality. You are trying your hardest to turn this into a political debate by quoting an obviously biased WaPo obit. Enough

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

It's a good read:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...08400242c2e_story.html?utm_term=.10e17b38ba90

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
First here is your absurd post I was replying to:

In this day an age people are being confused by facts and opinions. It was Krauthammer's opinion that there atheism was an "impossible" ideology. In my opinion atheism is the most possible, and the most probable ideology. That's my opinion”

For which I said not taking the bait.

Second, your response is nothing more than what I described in the “non thinker” post as the typical “cut and paste” and therefore it is mentality. You are trying your hardest to turn this into a political debate by quoting an obviously biased WaPo obit. Enough

He wrote for the Washington Post, and one of his commentaries in the Washington Post won him the Pulitzer. I pasted the WP obit because of this.

I suggest you read the obit, it's quite good and a fitting send off to a great champion of sensible conservatism. Pro science, pro logic....

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Gentlemen, can we please quit the bickering back and forth and simply stay on the topic of honoring the life and accomplishments of Mr. Krauthammer? This is not that difficult a task. If you cannot contribute something to the thread that is about him, don't post anything.

Tom

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Whenever you start a thread on an audio forum ( last time I looked, that is what it is) about a right wing..or a left leaning, or any other political figure, you are inevitably going to bring forth political opinions:eek: This thread is loaded with them ( like many other threads and posts that seem to pass muster with the Mods). IMHO, Keith R's points are completely on point and correct.
While I can certainly can hit the 'ignore' button on this thread- and any of the political posts ...why should i have to???:confused: Therefore, the original point about it being closed seems to me to be prudent.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I never agreed with him but always respected him. That is until The George Bush era, when he abandoned his logic and began to tow the party line. He does not have to answer to any humans now. May he rest in peace .May God have mercy on his soul.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing