Charles Krauthammer, MD may he RIP

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I'm not saying anything about the man - but as he was *very* clearly in the political realm, it's against the rules.

And oh, by the way, I'm a paraplegic so spare me the disability commentary.

The only one making this political is you. Just about every single person that we pay tribute to or homage to on these forums has a potential political bent, belief or perspective on life some or many disagree with. Roger Waters comes to mind. Does that mean we can’t acknowledge these people for their contributions to society or success in their endeavors?

Your disability comment further jades your obvious disdain for the guy. I have no clue as to what you have accomplished in your life or effect you have had on others as a result of or in spite of your disability but I was doing nothing more than paying homage to a great man who did accomplish great things despite his disability including but not limited to winning a Pulitzer Prize.

As I said if you can’t participate then don’t.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I was fortunate enough to meet the man at a couple of appearances at our community center. He was wise humorous and friendly at the same time, will be greatly missed!

david

Dr. K was a favorite of mine. I don't think, in my lifetime, and I just turned 65, that I have ever heard or seen a more articulate, clever and insightful conservative who always maintained his poise and cleverness through every encounter. His stoic face and as a result of his disability he would take that deep breath before making his point which just had the effect of driving his point home that few others could.

An amazing gentlemen and scholar who serves as a model for all who face disabilities. I wish my brother with advanced MS could find the courage and strength Dr. K found at such an early age and enacted throughout his whole life.

He faced mortality like he did life with strength few of us will ever have the courage to do.

I will truly miss Dr. K. He gave so much more than he took and he was an inspiration.

May he RIP and peace to his loved ones but they can take solace in the fact that Dr. K made this world much better, few can or will ever have the privilege of doing.

This has nothing to do with high end audio but a tribute to a great man.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Nice post Priaptor. I have great respect for the man and his even tempered intellect. He had character and knew about the things that matter.

I do not see the need for the moderators to take action. Can't we just express our appreciation for a great man?

Thanks Peter

I agree.

My post was not about politics but appreciation for a “great man”.

Howie

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I was fortunate enough to meet the man at a couple of appearances at our community center. He was wise humorous and friendly at the same time, will be greatly missed!

david

I missed an opportunity to meet him at my Synagogue years ago and am very sorry I did.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I missed an opportunity to meet him at my Synagogue years ago and am very sorry I did.

Actually that's exactly where I met him. I noticed that he wasn't around for the past year and his columns weren't regular anymore but didn't know why, sorry that he suffered so much sometimes death is a blessing.

david

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
The only one making this political is you. Just about every single person that we pay tribute to or homage to on these forums has a potential political bent, belief or perspective on life some or many disagree with. Roger Waters comes to mind. Does that mean we can’t acknowledge these people for their contributions to society or success in their endeavors?

Your disability comment further jades your obvious disdain for the guy. I have no clue as to what you have accomplished in your life or effect you have had on others as a result of or in spite of your disability but I was doing nothing more than paying homage to a great man who did accomplish great things despite his disability including but not limited to winning a Pulitzer Prize.

As I said if you can’t participate then don’t.

Roger Waters isn't a paid Fox News commentator. I would say the same if it was Keith Olbermann or any other political commentator. And I'm sorry if I missed all the other famous people with disabilities who have passed that you've posted on.

In your opinion we could post up anything political and just hit "ignore" - sorry, that's not cool.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Actually that's exactly where I met him. I noticed that he wasn't around for the past year and his columns weren't regular anymore but didn't know why, sorry that he suffered so much sometimes death is a blessing.

david

Interestingly he was at my Synagogue the night Matt Lauer was holding a fund raiser dinner in memory of his father who passed away in hospice in Palm Beach. It was a week after my son’s Bar Mitzvah and my son chose to donate 1/2 his gifts to the foundation so we were invited and he was honored at the dinner. Lauer treated my son wonderfully. Can’t say the same about Brian Gumbel who was also there but whatever it was a good cause and a good lesson in generosity for my son who turned out pretty good, now 31.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Roger Waters isn't a paid Fox News commentator. I would say the same if it was Keith Olbermann or any other political commentator. And I'm sorry if I missed all the other famous people with disabilities who have passed that you've posted on.

In your opinion we could post up anything political and just hit "ignore" - sorry, that's not cool.

You're the only one politicizing this thread and bullying the rest of us, that's what's not cool.

david

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
If anything it's your posts that need deleting! If we applied this narrow minded pettiness to everything then all music, movie, sports posts with anyone who ever voiced a political view have to be banned too.

david

baloney - the OP even stated in his first post he respected him as a *conservative pundit*

If you can't figure out the difference between the Dixie Chicks and Charles Krauthammer, houston we have a problem.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

I’m not sure your hostile comment deserves a response BUT Keith Olbermann?? Please. If I were talking Sean Hannity or his like I would get your point but we are talking about a Pulitzer Prize winner great intellectual, much more than just a paid political commentator who it appears you never heard speak or read any of his articles or books to think he was so “political”. He spared no one in his analysis.

I’m not sure why you continue to “contribute” to this thread if you can’t show the man the respect he deserved because of your intolerance and bias.

Incidentally Waters has spent tremendous amounts of money trying to impose his will on other entertainers ( and Governemts) and used threats to try to get them to accept “his way”. Despite that, we can all recognize the guys talent whether we like him or agree with him.

What’s not cool is your hostility.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
baloney - the OP even stated in his first post he respected him as a *conservative pundit*

If you can't figure out the difference between the Dixie Chicks and Charles Krauthammer, houston we have a problem.

Your points are petulant. He was a journalist and conservative pundit who made tremendous contributions to society. Does that mean the man can’t be honored?

When Dylan won the Nobel Prize it was clearly for his political verbiage, praised by many (including me after some thought) despite my disagreement with his politics. I initially was against it, recognized my bias, and upon reflection did realize how much of an influence the man had on my generation and me.

We don’t have to get into politics to recognize great people, artists, writers etc contributions to society when they are deserved.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

Troll on I pass.

david

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Troll on I pass.

david

Agreed.

It seems that some people insist on closing any discussion where they are not in one hundred percent agreement. Unfortunately, it bleeds into audio, too.

I am reminded of Luther Burbank who said, "[FONT=&amp]Less than fifteen per cent of the people do any original thinking on any subject. The greatest torture in the world for most people is to think."[/FONT]

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Agreed.

It seems that some people insist on closing any discussion where they are not in one hundred percent agreement. Unfortunately, it bleeds into audio, too.

I am reminded of Luther Burbank who said, "[FONT=&amp]Less than fifteen per cent of the people do any original thinking on any subject. The greatest torture in the world for most people is to think."[/FONT]

Great quote and totally agree.

I don’t want to change the subject of memorializing Dr K but the Net has enabled the phenomenon more than ever.

It’s so easy to assume and believe anything written on the Net is true and then the “copy and paste” mentality ensues “validating” the veracity of what was written no matter how false.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
This comment is not in any way meant to get into politics or religion so if you take it that way you have misread it.

One of the things that I found interesting about CK is that he was born into a family of Orthodox Jews but didn't himself seem to be observant, or even believe in god. But, he found Atheism to be the least plausible form of theology (hopefully I got that right). I find that really interesting.

I didn't always read his stuff but he seemed to conduct himself with integrity which is about all we can ask from people today.

He suffered at the end which is really unfortunate. My guess is that given his challenges along with the way he likely had a pretty good tolerance for discomfort.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I’m not sure your hostile comment deserves a response BUT Keith Olbermann?? Please. If I were talking Sean Hannity or his like I would get your point but we are talking about a Pulitzer Prize winner great intellectual, much more than just a paid political commentator who it appears you never heard speak or read any of his articles or books to think he was so “political”. He spared no one in his analysis.

I’m not sure why you continue to “contribute” to this thread if you can’t show the man the respect he deserved because of your intolerance and bias.

Incidentally Waters has spent tremendous amounts of money trying to impose his will on other entertainers ( and Governemts) and used threats to try to get them to accept “his way”. Despite that, we can all recognize the guys talent whether we like him or agree with him.

What’s not cool is your hostility.

He won the Pulitzer price for commentary, not for straight journalism.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing