Preamps... nothing is perfect.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It was the older series, not newer. I forget the model because it was the pre amps I was focused on

IMHO the original series had the problem you refer - you were probably looking the preamplfier that could mitigate it in this shootout. All users of the first series I know about sold it and got the much better sounding version II - there was no possible upgrade.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hey Micro

What do you find are the main differences between GAT and GAT2?

Cheers

We have to listen side by side to get a real notion of the differences. One thing is sure : deeper, more articulate bass - perhaps this is enough to sound more airy and spacious. Surely more transparent in micro details and micro dynamics . Really worth the price of the upgrade.

But if I had not tried the GAT2 I would be very happy with the original GAT.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I second Micro's observations...my own:

- The extremes of the GAT2 are more finely polished and articulated. The ACT 2 was perhaps articulate in the upper treble but not nearly as refined nor as tonally pure as the GAT series (and I am told the original ART series though i have never heard those).

- On the bass end, i suspect capacitance, power-related upgrades have improved its punching ability quite noticeably. It is a continuation of an extreme purity refinement that the GAT finally started to get right as a blending of the various powers of the original ACT 2 and the ART series from my discussions with various fellow owners and reviewers

- The system is also much, much quieter once the GAT 2 went in. The GAT did also have more trouble not eating through tubes, and so far I have not had this problem...and having swapped for Mullards...cannot say that going back to stock tubes does not truly satisfy as well. (i could not say this about the stock tubes of the original GAT which went noisy within a few months...consistently. Like many owners including XV-1, i went to Telefunkens).

- It seems to have found a following of owners who have 'set it and forgotten it'...i am one of them. I long ago stopped thinking about preamps.

The only other comment i would make is about Roy Gregory who has kindly offered me great and very well considered advice for nearly 10 years...very generous with his time and experience. I do think from his shoot-out review that the VTL brand is something for which he has a deep affinity. He has said the Siegfried II has no peers (at least that is how i interpret his review of it). Since he loves the Siegfried II and is also a reviewer who needs both SE and XLR, etc, etc...I suspect that combination probably does put the VTL 7.5III at the top of his personal list. Not that it matters...we all have our favorites. For me, the CJ GAT 2 is it. If i ever were to consider the Siegfried II...that is probably the only way i might swap in the 7.5III to see what happens. But with the Gryphon Colosseum...i am not sure i see that happening either.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
LOL What does that comment even mean?

The fact that it can sound better than preamps with balanced circuitry if used with balanced amps says everything.

Not better than a balanced preamp of equal quality, in my opinion.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Not better than a balanced preamp of equal quality, in my opinion.

I would say probably true, IF all other things were truly equal...ie, quality, implementation, circuit design, etc, etc...also including how the equipment fares with the equipment attached to it. However, given how many variables which are involved...not least of which is that the cable runs in a home system are sometimes far shorter and less complicated than in a professional recording studio...i do wonder. And i suspect that is where it may not be that one person actually prefers SE over XLR (though some who know far more than I and listened far more than I actually do prefer it)...but in actual fact, it might be that they simply prefer how one designer who uses SE has actually designed the overall piece and then incorporated into that person's overall system.

Case in point was the wonderful ARC ref 3...it was a disaster in my system against the ACT 2...but i STRONGLY suspect it being attached to my existing system was the wrong implementation. Even the dealer who brought it to the house was absolutely confused at how badly the audition went...we had real issues (not just less good here or there)...such as noise issues. And back at the store, it was perfectly fine again.

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
I know it's not on your list, but checkout VAC SigMKIIa SE or Master. It's only uses 2 6922 and very sensitive to tube rolling. Sound is neutral and extended in both directions with Siemen or Telefunken.

You can borrow one from Fidelis AV in Merrimack, NH to demo.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Damn you Micro and Lloyd.:D see what you have done, got me thinking about doing the GATs2 upgrade again. not sure I could live without my GAT for a month or so.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) For me, the CJ GAT 2 is it. If i ever were to consider the Siegfried II...that is probably the only way i might swap in the 7.5III to see what happens. But with the Gryphon Colosseum...i am not sure i see that happening either.

I would not consider the new VTL's with your current old speakers. When I had old Wison's I always found that conrad johnson was the way to go. They matched particularly well. In order to get the Siegfried II you should get the XLF or Arrakis first ...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I know it's not on your list, but checkout VAC SigMKIIa SE or Master. It's only uses 2 6922 and very sensitive to tube rolling. Sound is neutral and extended in both directions with Siemen or Telefunken.

You can borrow one from Fidelis AV in Merrimack, NH to demo.

Vac, absolare, and CH seem to be Steve Dobbins' favorites

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Besides the sound, the most important things for me in a preamp are both rca and xlr connections for every input (Like my Pass XS) and a tape loop. Remote control is the next priority.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I would look at Aries Cerat Impera pre-amplifier. They do fantastic SETs and the pre-amps are superb, very dynamic and solid, lots of body and realistic timbre. It could inject the required bit of warmth and weight (including silky smooth detail) that could be a great match.

Sorry, I seem to be banging on about Aries Cerat, but their DAC and amps are so special and so real sounding compared with the usual top suspects, it is one I would seriously consider.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Besides the sound, the most important things for me in a preamp are both rca and xlr connections for every input (Like my Pass XS) and a tape loop. Remote control is the next priority.
Do you realize that probably you will not have balanced inputs in your future ML3.1 ? :D

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think one should have two preamps, one to maximize the analog chain and one for the digital chain.

In the Roman Arena in Verona now to watch Aida

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I would not consider the new VTL's with your current old speakers. When I had old Wison's I always found that conrad johnson was the way to go. They matched particularly well. In order to get the Siegfried II you should get the XLF or Arrakis first ...

Thanks...in truth, am likely to keep CJ/Gryphon which probably enables me to go XLF or Arrakis in any event, particularly Arrakis given how often I have seen Rockport work with CJ and Gryphon over the years.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I would look at Aries Cerat Impera pre-amplifier. They do fantastic SETs and the pre-amps are superb, very dynamic and solid, lots of body and realistic timbre. It could inject the required bit of warmth and weight (including silky smooth detail) that could be a great match.

Sorry, I seem to be banging on about Aries Cerat, but their DAC and amps are so special and so real sounding compared with the usual top suspects, it is one I would seriously consider.

I have to say, if there is one brand i continue to be intrigued to hear, it is Aries Cerat.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Why a tape loop, Christian? Do you record?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ian, is there anyway to hear each of your contenders in your own system?

Last week I voted, for myself, for the VTL TL-7.5 Series III with my wallet. (The fact that I had already decided on the Siegfried IIs just made my preamp decision even easier.)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing