Preamps... nothing is perfect.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Here is a nice chart,note the vast difference in voltage drop(the lower the better)

Why should lower be better? IMHO we should use the the rectifier that introduces the voltage drop intended by the designer. Changing it will operate the stage at voltage and currents that will differ from what was meant originally.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi Stavros. Flyer came over to my place this afternoon with his Incito S. As I had several rectifiers at hand (Philips 5R4GYS and KR 5UAG Lampizator Anniversary), we tested them and we quickly concluded that the Sylvana you selected was the best.

Kind regards,

dcc
Thanks for the info regarding your recti rolling.
How did you like the Incito S?
What preamp did you compare it to?
I love my regular Incito but I guess the Incito S is quite a step up in sound quality.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
Why should lower be better? IMHO we should use the the rectifier that introduces the voltage drop intended by the designer. Changing it will operate the stage at voltage and currents that will differ from what was meant originally.
When choosing for a new design,lower is usually better as it means lower internal resistance. Of course changing rectifier type ,in existing design from user side is not only not optimal ,but many times dangerous.
Ex.if you replace a rectifier with 50v drop with one with 10v drop,not only you change operating point but some equipment with marginal voltage rating in capacitors may not like it too much.the opposite also applies.replacing a rectifier in a design using 5ar4 with a 5r4 for example sets the OP way off.

Reactions: microstrip

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Thanks for the info regarding your recti rolling.
How did you like the Incito S?
What preamp did you compare it to?
I love my regular Incito but I guess the Incito S is quite a step up in sound quality.

It was not a comparison as such. I already heard the Incito S in another system and I have heard Flyer's Impera many times at his place. Flyer is very close audio buddy and we were both interested to listen to the Incito S in my system and to do some tube rolling.

We opted for my Tenor Audio Hybrid power amp instead of the big Krell mono amps. We only listened to vinyl through the Allnic phono stage. So it was somehow a full tube setup.

Unfortunately, the Incito S was missing true balanced inputs, so we coud not connect the big Studer tape deck.

I really enjoyed the Incito S. It is transparent with a great sense of pace and rhythm.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
It was not a comparison as such. I already heard the Incito S in another system and I have heard Flyer's Impera many times at his place. Flyer is very close audio buddy and we were both interested to listen to the Incito S in my system and to do some tube rolling.

We opted for my Tenor Audio Hybrid power amp instead of the big Krell mono amps. We only listened to vinyl through the Allnic phono stage. So it was somehow a full tube setup.

Unfortunately, the Incito S was missing true balanced inputs, so we coud not connect the big Studer tape deck.

I really enjoyed the Incito S. It is transparent with a great sense of pace and rhythm.
Thanks
How would you compare the Incito S to the Impera?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
@bazelio. Are you able to set the bias on the tubes in any way?with these specific tubes can change dramatically with a minor operating point shift.both tubes are top notch as almost all in this family

I'm just following the recommendations from the designer here. He shipped it with the Russian 6J11, Siemens E280F, D3a and said I could swap to find the sound I liked. I really did not like the 6J11, but fell in love with the unit after first hearing the E280F in it. Then recently I changed my passive line stage and now I'm enjoying the D3a.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I would definitely opt for the Impera. The Inceto S is a great preamp but the Impera is even better.
I bought my Incito from my friend Michael who bought an Impera :cool:
I wonder if the Incito can be upgraded to the Incito S, but I have a sneaky feeling that it is not possible :oops:

fish fingers

May 11, 2015
How about the nutube B1 First Watt? The only issue is it's a kit. Pretty sure the full kit inc chassis is now available to order

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Pete Millet designed a headphone amp around the Korg Nutube a couple years back. I demoed it for a week or so. Interesting and all, but sound-wise it was all midrange all the time. Also, those Nutubes were hyper-microphonic. A slight fingernail tap on the chassis would be amplified.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing