Vibration isolation - found one with science attached!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tim, I think you’ll find vibration isolation is the one tweak in audio which has the most science and predictable effectiveness, whether passive like Minus K and Stacore, or active like Herzan and Taiko Tana.

The Minus K has great specs but suffers from one major disadvantage which precluded me from buying it.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hey all,

Looking at Minus K isolation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9J8-YAMQKo

This seems to have some science attached and actually works!

What is your opinion?

Thanks, Tim

Even a inner tube tire and a box of sand have a lot of science - I remember doing some rough calculations to calculate the optimum characteristics of an isolation table for a Mossbauer spectrometer more than thirty years ago! Isolation tables are very well studied and understood, nothing new in this field, except some peculiar aspects of the implementation. Curiously we could expect that the advances in DSP, transducers and microelectronics could make the prices drop, but we do not see it, on the contrary.

What should be relevant is audio science - in this case the connection between vibration and subjective performance of electronics components. And here we are are almost zero level - except for some cases known since long, such as tubes, coils, ceramic capacitors. All we have is empirical data and secret information that manufacturers wisely do not share with us.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Tim, I think you’ll find vibration isolation is the one tweak in audio which has the most science and predictable effectiveness, whether passive like Minus K and Stacore, or active like Herzan and Taiko Tana.

The Minus K has great specs but suffers from one major disadvantage which precluded me from buying it.

As you saw in my previous post, I do not find the actuation of such devices either predictable or scientific.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing