Ayon Apheris vs EMT JPA66 MkIII vs CH P1+X1

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Wow Tang, superb insight. When you say CH is better on bass, is that only very low bass, or also Midbass?

Do you know when you are going to shift to do the test from another TT set up? Also if the difference in much lower output carts is larger?

The EMT and Ayon has excellent mid bass. Only low bass that P1 is clearly better.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Have you ever tried your EMT going directly into the amps ?

No. Too many cables switching hurts my back. Also my system requires two sets of outputs. The EMT has only one.

Kind regards,
Tang

Tbzc

Feb 4, 2011
Tang, hi.

A bit off topic: if I see correctly you have a Ayon Conquistador preamp. Would you be so kind and describe your experience with it, compared to your previous preamps. If my memory serves me well you had Spheris III which I also had and found it to be an excellent preamp. Thanks.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang, hi.

A bit off topic: if I see correctly you have a Ayon Conquistador preamp. Would you be so kind and describe your experience with it, compared to your previous preamps. If my memory serves me well you had Spheris III which I also had and found it to be an excellent preamp. Thanks.

Hello Tbzc,

I told Gerhard that changing from Spheris III preamp to the Conquistador was the biggest improvement delta in upgrading any equipment of the Ayon brand. The Conquistador is like a Windex window cleaning liquid. I got super transparency and air between instruments moving from Spheris III to the Conquistador. I am not a very trained ear audiophile Tbzc. I don’t have bat ears hearing and detecting every small changes in sound and photographic hearing memory when changing equipment like many gurus. I can only state the more obvious differences. While there would probably be more micro differences, those were the difference I heard and remember upgrading to the Conquistador.

Here is an internal of the Conquistador.

C9D3F1F6-168F-4B66-A6E3-B02917A2A3A6.jpg

Kind regards,
Ang

Tbzc

Feb 4, 2011
Thanks for a quick reply, Tang. But has Conquistador retained musicality, organic sound and good bass despite higher transparency? Because we see many designers today striving for ultimate transparency but losing the natural flow and organic density.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Thanks for a quick reply, Tang. But has Conquistador retained musicality, organic sound and good bass despite higher transparency? Because we see many designers today striving for ultimate transparency but losing the natural flow and organic density.

The conquistador is a "better" preamp not just "different" meaning no gaining something in the expense of others. It offer the kind of transparency that only enhances realism. And it still has a remote control!! :)

Kind regards,
Tang

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing