Furutech Nanoflux NCF Powercords

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
They are unnecessary very expensive I can get you cables with furutech FI50NCF at half the cost which beats the Kraken stage 3 and for your info I am using these cables for my complete Ypsilon setup and they are amazing

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
Hello, does anyone have experience with these power cables?

Yes, I have 2 of them as well as some of the earlier non-NCF versions.
These power cables have fullness, weight, and tonal saturation like few other cables that I've auditioned.

The non-NCF are good in a system that is somewhat brighter or tipped up.
The NCF Nanoflux has MUCH more resolution but on less full range speakers may be perceived as less weighty or even brighter. But that isn't really the case - they have better weight, bass resolution, treble clarity and focus. There is a much purer midrange in the Nanoflux NCF, though, such that one could perceive it as less saturation. While that's true, it's also more accurate, I think. The better your speakers, the more you can appreciate the Nanoflux-NCF. I've used them in my system with two different speakers, one that was less full range than the other. I appreciate the Nanoflux NCF much more with the better speakers.
In my system, the NCF Nanoflux cables are most ideal for power amplifiers. They give punch, weight, and clarity. After extensive trials in my system, that's where I use mine.

I've only heard one cable better than the Nanoflux NCF - the Siltech Triple Crown, which is cut from the same cloth but does everything audibly better, and with a blacker background, which is hard to believe, because I don't hear anything to criticize when listening to the Nanoflux NCF on my amplifiers.

I've also experimented adding NCF connectors to the earlier non-NCF Nanoflux cable and it adds a third "flavor" of Furutech cable that sounds compelling, yet different than the other two. It's added flexibility for component matching in my system.

I think the Furutech cables are worth an audition and purchase at the right price. I have no regrets with mine.

This past weekend, I've have an Audioquest Hurricane power cable in-house to demo and I'll say this - it punches way above its price point. Before considering spending over $2K on a power cable, I'd recommend listening to one of these Audioquest Hurricane cables. The even higher Dragon series could very well perform in the Nanoflux NCF territory, based on what I hear with the Hurricane.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I have auditioned power cables made with the Furutech NCF plugs and the much hyped Furutech DPS-4 raw cable and then compared them to the Absolute Fidelity power cables with Furutech NCF plugs (I have 12 of these in my system).

I found that in my system to my ears the Absolute Fidelity power cables (around $1800 list price + the NCF plugs) are superior in transparency, tonality and nuance, and about equal in dynamics and bass articulation.

not sure how different the new Nanoflux-NCF power cords are from what I tried. I looked on the Furutech web site but what I read was inconclusive.

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
I have auditioned power cables made with the Furutech NCF plugs and the much hyped Furutech DPS-4 raw cable and then compared them to the Absolute Fidelity power cables with Furutech NCF plugs (I have 12 of these in my system).

I found that in my system to my ears the Absolute Fidelity power cables (around $1800 list price + the NCF plugs) are superior in transparency, tonality and nuance, and about equal in dynamics and bass articulation.

not sure how different the new Nanoflux-NCF power cords are from what I tried. I looked on the Furutech web site but what I read was inconclusive.

From what I've gathered, the DPS-4 was marketed to offer performance out of its price class. I haven't heard it, but it's interesting Furutech hasn't used it to make their own cables, as far as I know. The one review of it that I read, didn't describe the resulting sound as how I would describe the sound from the Nanoflux power cables that Furutech makes. And the review wasn't enough for me to look to audition it, either.

I'd offer that the Furutech Nanoflux series are worth an audition if one is unsatisfied with weight and saturation in their system. I think that's where they excel. They're certainly not perfect, but can be a good match in some systems.

Reactions: 270kkms

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
It's best to demo power cables, they do not perform consistently across all systems.

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy

Sorry Mike... what are using actually for the power amps of MM7? do you have Absolute Fidelity also or the Evolution Acoustics PC-one?
Just for knowledge... in Autumn I'll begin to look for two power cords for my MM3...
thanks in advance.
Marco

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Sorry Mike... what are using actually for the power amps of MM7? do you have Absolute Fidelity also or the Evolution Acoustics PC-one?
Just for knowledge... in Autumn I'll begin to look for two power cords for my MM3...
thanks in advance.
Marco

I use 12 Absolute Fidelity power cords;

4--2 on each bass tower of the MM7's
2--MSB Select II power supplies.
4--3 Studer A-820's + King Cello tape repro
1--NVS tt
1--SGM server

2 Evolution Acoustic TRPC (triple run power cord) on the dart 458 mono blocks

all these have the Furutech NCF plugs.

Marco, I did do some comparisons back in 2011 when I bought the Absolute Fidelity power cords for my then MM3's. I was a bit surprised by how great they sounded compared to my then Jena Labs 'The One' power cords. since then I have compared the Absolute Fidelity to some others and always preferred them for my system.

the one exception was the Evolution Acoustics TRPC which were better, but at twice the price, which is why they are on the 458's. not sure I could swing 12 more of those.

Last edited:

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
These power cables have fullness, weight, and tonal saturation like few other cables that I've auditioned.

The NCF Nanoflux has MUCH more resolution but on less full range speakers may be perceived as less weighty or even brighter. But that isn't really the case - they have better weight, bass resolution, treble clarity and focus. There is a much purer midrange in the Nanoflux NCF, though, such that one could perceive it as less saturation. While that's true, it's also more accurate, I think. The better your speakers, the more you can appreciate the Nanoflux-NCF. I've used them in my system with two different speakers, one that was less full range than the other. I appreciate the Nanoflux NCF much more with the better speakers.
In my system, the NCF Nanoflux cables are most ideal for power amplifiers. They give punch, weight, and clarity. After extensive trials in my system, that's where I use mine.

I've only heard one cable better than the Nanoflux NCF - the Siltech Triple Crown, which is cut from the same cloth but does everything audibly better, and with a blacker background, which is hard to believe, because I don't hear anything to criticize when listening to the Nanoflux NCF on my amplifiers.

I've also experimented adding NCF connectors to the earlier non-NCF Nanoflux cable and it adds a third "flavor" of Furutech cable that sounds compelling, yet different than the other two. It's added flexibility for component matching in my system.

I think the Furutech cables are worth an audition and purchase at the right price. I have no regrets with mine.

This past weekend, I've have an Audioquest Hurricane power cable in-house to demo and I'll say this - it punches way above its price point. Before considering spending over $2K on a power cable, I'd recommend listening to one of these Audioquest Hurricane cables. The even higher Dragon series could very well perform in the Nanoflux NCF territory, based on what I hear with the Hurricane.

Very helpful information. Thank you! if It is even close to the Triple Crown, it is a strong endorsement already , given the huge price differential. I heard the TC powercord once and I was extremely impressed.

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
I use 12 Absolute Fidelity power cords;

4--2 on each bass tower of the MM7's
2--MSB Select II power supplies.
4--3 Studer A-820's + King Cello tape repro
1--NVS tt
1--SGM server

2 Evolution Acoustic TRPC (triple run power cord) on the dart 458 mono blocks

all these have the Furutech NCF plugs.

Marco, I did do some comparisons back in 2011 when I bought the Absolute Fidelity power cords for my then MM3's. I was a bit surprised by how great they sounded compared to my then Jena Labs 'The One' power cords. since then I have compared the Absolute Fidelity to some others and always preferred them for my system.

the one exception was the Evolution Acoustics TRPC which were better, but at twice the price, which is why they are on the 458's. not sure I could swing 12 more of those.

Thank you very very much for your detailed answer. Unfortunatly here in Italy Absolute Fidelity is unavailable; neverthless I'll check for availability in autumn.
Again there are a few competitors I'll try to compare, starting from some local Italian brands. In any case I'll contact the staff of A-F; maybe the PC cords will be available also with Schuko terminations.
My best
Marco

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
Very helpful information. Thank you! if It is even close to the Triple Crown, it is a strong endorsement already , given the huge price differential. I heard the TC powercord once and I was extremely impressed.

I don't want to mis-speak and give the impression that they sound the same. They don't. The TC is more open with the impression of greater extension and resolution on the top and bottom end.
I have two of them but I don't know if I could use them on the front end components AND amplifiers.
It's by no means thin sounding, but I hear a more full mid-bass sound as very natural, and if I were to use all TC, I think I'd lose some of that quality that the Furutech cables offer.
I said the same thing about the Furutech Nanoflux NCF cables when I got them, but now I DO find them superior to the original Nanoflux. As much as I sometimes question burn-in of cables, perhaps there's some of that in play with the Nanoflux NCF.

To quote myself from above, "I'd offer that the Furutech Nanoflux series are worth an audition if one is unsatisfied with weight and saturation in their system. I think that's where they excel... They give punch, weight, and clarity."

Both the Nanoflux NCF and the TC provide me with equal musical satisfaction is the best way to put it, but they don't sound the same, and on technical merits, it's would be difficult to refute that the TC is the "better" cable.

Last edited:

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
It's best to demo power cables, they do not perform consistently across all systems.

Agree. I just had the same experience with my Furutech NCF cables. It outperforms in my system, where the in wall cable is Nano, the outlets are the ones you sold me (NCF) and the IEC on the amps and pre are NCF too.
In another system we tried today, same amps, it didn’t show a big change replacing Shunyatas on the amps.

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
I don't want to mis-speak and give the impression that they sound the same. They don't. The TC is more open with the impression of greater extension and resolution on the top and bottom end.
I have two of them but I don't know if I could use them on the front end components AND amplifiers.
It's by no means thin sounding, but I hear a more full mid-bass sound as very natural, and if I were to use all TC, I think I'd lose some of that quality that the Furutech cables offer.
I said the same thing about the Furutech Nanoflux NCF cables when I got them, but now I DO find them superior to the original Nanoflux. As much as I sometimes question burn-in of cables, perhaps there's some of that in play with the Nanoflux NCF.

To quote myself from above, "I'd offer that the Furutech Nanoflux series are worth an audition if one is unsatisfied with weight and saturation in their system. I think that's where they excel... They give punch, weight, and clarity."

Both the Nanoflux NCF and the TC provide me with equal musical satisfaction is the best way to put it, but they don't sound the same, and on technical merits, it's would be difficult to refute that the TC is the "better" cable.

I take it you mean to say the TC has better extensions but the NanoFlux NCF has fuller mid bass? I have the NanoFlux NCF in its early days and not sure if it is burned in yet. I don't have the TC to A-B. In my auditory memory, the TC had impressive resolutions and soundstaging and very balanced from top to bottom.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

What does “purer midrange” mean?

What does “treble clarity” mean?

You can honestly distinguish clearly, predictably and repeatedly the midrange from the midbass of a cable?

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
Hi Ron - fair enough - you bring up valid points to the response I offered to the OP's question.

There is some difficulty describing the subjective "what I hear" (the musical details?), as well as "tone of what I hear" (the color of the sound?), all within the larger context of what I consider to sound natural and the preferences of how I like my system to sound. As audio enthusiasts, I think we try to describe sounds in language that we hope is understandable. Without some kind of comparison, though, those words may not convey the intention. It was lucky that the OP heard the other cable I brought up as point of comparison, the Siltech TC. The differences I tried to describe, however imperfectly, seemed to be understood, and I'm happy I could convey that to him/her.

"Purer midrange" may not be an ideal descriptive on its own, but in the context of the rest of the sentence, "such that one could perceive it as less saturation," my intent may be better understood (or not) by the OP.

"Treble Clarity" as I intended it to be understood, meant how certain fine details in the music, often subtle or softer, are easily perceived in comparison with another cable/component. Can I hear it clearly or can't I? As I intended it, the details I'm describing are cymbals and high hats - sounds commonly extending into the treble frequencies. I think presentation of those details can be indicative of the technical merits of the cable - some resolve it better than others.

As you propose, trying to "predictably and repeatedly" describe the differences a cable contributes to the midrange and midbass could be unreliable given the frequency overlap of instruments that play in those ranges. That said, unless I'm entirely wrong, the Furutech Nanoflux NCF cables have a more colorful 100-600 Hz than a lot of other cables I've auditioned over the years and that's the point I was trying to make.

I'm enthusiastic about the Furutech cables the OP asked about and I like the way my system sounds with them in use. Obviously, any description isn't a substitute for someone hearing them for themselves, in their own system and room.

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
I take it you mean to say the TC has better extensions but the NanoFlux NCF has fuller mid bass? I have the NanoFlux NCF in its early days and not sure if it is burned in yet. I don't have the TC to A-B. In my auditory memory, the TC had impressive resolutions and soundstaging and very balanced from top to bottom.

That's generally what I'm saying. Your description of the TC is similar to how I'd describe it.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Ron - fair enough - you bring up valid points to the response I offered to the OP's question.

There is some difficulty describing the subjective "what I hear" (the musical details?), as well as "tone of what I hear" (the color of the sound?), all within the larger context of what I consider to sound natural and the preferences of how I like my system to sound. As audio enthusiasts, I think we try to describe sounds in language that we hope is understandable. Without some kind of comparison, though, those words may not convey the intention. It was lucky that the OP heard the other cable I brought up as point of comparison, the Siltech TC. The differences I tried to describe, however imperfectly, seemed to be understood, and I'm happy I could convey that to him/her.

"Purer midrange" may not be an ideal descriptive on its own, but in the context of the rest of the sentence, "such that one could perceive it as less saturation," my intent may be better understood (or not) by the OP.

"Treble Clarity" as I intended it to be understood, meant how certain fine details in the music, often subtle or softer, are easily perceived in comparison with another cable/component. Can I hear it clearly or can't I? As I intended it, the details I'm describing are cymbals and high hats - sounds commonly extending into the treble frequencies. I think presentation of those details can be indicative of the technical merits of the cable - some resolve it better than others.

As you propose, trying to "predictably and repeatedly" describe the differences a cable contributes to the midrange and midbass could be unreliable given the frequency overlap of instruments that play in those ranges. That said, unless I'm entirely wrong, the Furutech Nanoflux NCF cables have a more colorful 100-600 Hz than a lot of other cables I've auditioned over the years and that's the point I was trying to make.

I'm enthusiastic about the Furutech cables the OP asked about and I like the way my system sounds with them in use. Obviously, any description isn't a substitute for someone hearing them for themselves, in their own system and room.

That all makes sense.

Thank you for this thoughtful and introspective reply!

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing