Durand Tonearms Tosca

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
At T.H.E. Show Newport 2018 Joël Durand debuted a prototype of his newest tonearm, the Tosca. The Tosca is Joël's first gimbal bearing design.

Visually, the Tosca reminded me of the SAT tonearm. But the Tosca looks even more solid and massive than does the SAT.

The Tosca has what looks like an intermediate connector (that black piece) to attach the headshell to the armwand. Joel said this allows the user to adjust azimuth easily.

With the Tosca looking more massive than his unipivot designs I asked Joël if the Tosca has a higher effective mass than his unipivot tonearms. Joël answered that the Tosca has approximately the same effective mass as the Telos.

IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
The all-important question being, is it 9" ? Actually, on a serious note (pun intended), where is the anti-skate mechanism on the Tosca? The SAT appears to have a rather traditional (if not somewhat cheesy) fishing line with counter balance weight and pulley system. But, in these pics, I can't quite see how the Tosca does anti-skate.

Thanks!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Same style of headshell junction as Axiom.

C9AF34C2-0BC2-40E6-B217-DE19BC940D2C.jpg

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . where is the anti-skate mechanism on the Tosca? . . . I can't quite see how the Tosca does anti-skate.

Thanks!

I have no idea.

On a different feature Joël was proud of how releasing a nut or knob or something allows a little vertical elevator mechanism to go up and down to adjust VTA.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Good point, Tang. I wonder of what material Joël's black connector piece is made.

I have a feeling that someday there will be a very serious showdown between the Tosca and the SAT: A Thai tonearm version of the "Thrilla [sic] in Manila"! :D

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
the headshell design really works well (I was skeptical). it has a clamp, and a scale for azimuth adjustment......in the correct plane. when azimuth is adjusted at the bearing yet the cart angle is offset it's less accurate.

super solid.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I bet Mike is already a testing ground for this arm...with confidentiality agreement :).

Tang

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
At T.H.E. Show Newport 2018 Joël Durand debuted a prototype of his newest tonearm, the Tosca. The Tosca is Joël's first gimbal bearing design.

Visually, the Tosca reminded me of the SAT tonearm. But the Tosca looks even more solid and massive than does the SAT.

The Tosca has what looks like an intermediate connector (that black piece) to attach the headshell to the armwand. Joel said this allows the user to adjust azimuth easily.

With the Tosca looking more massive than his unipivot designs I asked Joël if the Tosca has a higher effective mass than his unipivot tonearms. Joël answered that the Tosca has approximately the same effective mass as the Telos.

Thanks for posting, Ron. How long is the arm and did Joel mention if it will replace any existing arms in his lineup? The SAT gimbal cradle actually looks beefier to me. The VTA adjustment seems interesting. I wonder of Joel has a preferred protractor or alignment method.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Thanks for posting, Ron. How long is the arm and did Joel mention if it will replace any existing arms in his lineup? The SAT gimbal cradle actually looks beefier to me. The VTA adjustment seems interesting. I wonder of Joel has a preferred protractor or alignment method.

the Tosca uses the identical alignment as the Durand Kairos.

typically Joel provides a Mint LP protractor (the only type I've observed him using) with all his arms (custom to the spindle size of the customer tt).

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Peter, I posted everything that I know. I do not have any other details.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
The all-important question being, is it 9" ? Actually, on a serious note (pun intended), where is the anti-skate mechanism on the Tosca? The SAT appears to have a rather traditional (if not somewhat cheesy) fishing line with counter balance weight and pulley system. But, in these pics, I can't quite see how the Tosca does anti-skate.

Thanks!

I asked him and he said it was 10 1/2"

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Anyone know the expected price point for this arm? Thanks.

I asked Joel this question. His answer was that it was a prototype and he didn’t have an exact price yet. When I asked him if it was going to be in the same league, price wise, as the SAT, he told me that it would definitely be less.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
How long is the arm and did Joel mention if it will replace any existing arms in his lineup?

The arm is about 10.35" in length and will not replace any of the existing arms.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing