9” vs 12” pick up arms. The mechanics explained minus the anecdotal B.S.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey Mike, thanks for sticking with us.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Nicely written by Gomez, and he also claims he offers the 12" for those who still think it's superior

I decided to add a 12 inch version for each of the lines. This decision was driven by the request from some of the exiting owners to be able to have an additional SAT arm that could be mounted on a position or a turntable where a shorter model wouldn’t fit; I also wanted to give the opportunity to experience the SAT performance levels to those who feel a 12 inch is a better choice, based on their preferences.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I don’t recall ANY other designer stating it the way Marc has. He’s to be commended for total transparency.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Nice comprehensive write up. If Gomez stops making arms, he can teach physics. Bravo !
Thank you Fremer for sticking around!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
thank you Michael for the link, and thanks to Marc for the 'as understandable as possible' explanations and going to the trouble to help us all understand.

I don't have the techie chops to judge the science, but seems to make perfect sense.

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
Great article. Thanks!

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
Someone who listens to a lot of orchestral music with high groove modulations toward the end of the record may want to notice that the non-traditional alignment of the SAT arm results in much higher than typical tracking error at the end of the record, on the order of 3 degrees and corresponding distortion well in excess of 3%. This is due to the inner null appearing much further from the spindle than is traditional, and is basically a result of Gomez choosing the reference innermost groove at 75mm rather than the traditional 60mm of the IEC/RIAA standard. The practical significance of this will be subject to debate.

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
Very good explanation. He must have worked on that publication for quite a few hours. (To make it simple enough for us to understand.)
Would an even shorter arm be even better ?
I know you could have mounting issues but all things ignored ?

Narayan

Oct 6, 2015
Thank you Michael for the link and Marc for writing down the facts in a non-soporiferous manner.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
9 inch vs 12 inch effective length

"For all the above reasons, I chose to design the original SAT Pikcup Arm as a 9 inch model instead of a 12 inch one. After three years of production, and taking advantage of the launch of the new CF1 and LM series of arms, I decided to add a 12 inch version for each of the lines. This decision was driven by the request from some of the exiting* owners to be able to have an additional SAT arm that could be mounted on a position or a turntable where a shorter model wouldn’t fit; I also wanted to give the opportunity to experience the SAT performance levels to those who feel a 12 inch is a better choice, based on their preferences.

As physics hasn’t change since I developed the original SAT Pickup Arm, for a given moment of inertia, the shorter arms provide in general a more accurate sound reproduction - which is not to say many might prefer the sound of the 12 inch versions. I have intentionally not changed the basic design of the 12 inch models and created something different; they are clearly based on the 9 inch versions, with some changes required to compensate for the different mass distribution. Whatever design changes I would make on the 12 inch models to improve rigidity, I could also make on the 9 inch models - it doesn’t make sense to make them compete with each other. The differences will always be there and are dictated by physics.

Both the LM-12 and CF1-12 models have a consistent different sound when compared to their 9 inch siblings. It all can be explained by the physics of their design and how they interact with the cartridges. At the same time, the original SAT Pickup Arm and all four new models share a common sonic identity, with very high resolution, low distortion and precise transient response, at the highest levels available today."

Marc Gomez, Gothenburg 2018-06-02

The last part of the pdf paper.

* existing

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Very good explanation. He must have worked on that publication for quite a few hours. (To make it simple enough for us to understand.)
Would an even shorter arm be even better ?
I know you could have mounting issues but all things ignored ?

I think the 9" length is a result of 12" media, the need to trace the particular arc and the resulting math. what is the shortest choice that is workable?

I don't actually know the answer.....but it just makes sense.

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
I think the 9" length is a result of 12" media, the need to trace the particular arc and the resulting math. what is the shortest choice that is workable?

I don't actually know the answer.....but it just makes sense.

Doing the math now. (looking for minimal length) ViV makes their Rigid Float in 7 inches.

Edit: Quick math says around 6.75 inches is the minimal if you want to have a rigid mounting point.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It was great to read the original source at due time, but IMHO Mark Gomez article adds little to the serious debate, keeping the physics at the almost childish level.

He dismisses the 12 inch tonearm in a single sentence : "The very small reduction in the absolute tracing error associated from going from a 9 inch to a 12 inch arm is marginal compared to the much greater potential for improvement in terms of rigidity and its associated distortions, in a properly designed 9 inch arm."

The argument of some of the 12 inch proponents is just that this distortion is incremental, and that the difference between a 9" and 12" is important, as the threshold of clear audibility is reached with 9" tonearms.

I do not have any horse in this race, but a quick search has shown me that this subject has been studied in many articles along decades, including refereed scientific journals, and is of great complexity and divergence. A simplistic intuitive approach can help to understand the problems, but never to rank their dimension. Just to show how a small detail that can affect our intuitive perception - should we address distortion before or after the RIAA filter? Manufacturers just pick what favors their designs to teach us.

The final judge in this debate is the subjective audition. Mark Gomez is a talented engineer and has designed a great tonearm, appreciated by many. He feels that 9" is his best approach. I am prepared to accept that his 9" should be better than his 12" after reading from him. But also to accept that another designer, using a different approach, can design a 12" tonearm that betters it.

Last edited:
Reactions: LETSO

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Michael, for posting the link to this very interesting and illuminating article!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It was great to read the original source at due time, but IMHO Mark Gomez article adds little to the serious debate, keeping the physics at the almost childish level.

He dismisses the 12 inch tonearm in a single sentence : "The very small reduction in the absolute tracing error associated from going from a 9 inch to a 12 inch arm is marginal compared to the much greater potential for improvement in terms of rigidity and its associated distortions, in a properly designed 9 inch arm." . . .

I think you are trying hard to be contrary, Francisco. Marc does not "dismiss" the 12" tonearm at all.

Marc explains in detail the pros and cons of 9" versus 12", and arrives at a reasonable and thoughtful conclusion for himself. He explicitly discusses how other factors weigh more heavily on the aggregate distortion aspects of vinyl playback, compared to the very slight natural advantage of lower distortion the 12" has over the 9".

I found nothing at all dismissive of the 12" in Marc's careful and thoughtful analysis.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think you are trying hard to be contrary, Francisco. Marc does not "dismiss" the 12" tonearm at all.

Marc explains in detail the pros and cons of 9" versus 12", and arrives at a reasonable and thoughtful conclusion for himself. He explicitly discusses how other factors weigh more heavily on the aggregate distortion aspects of vinyl playback, compared to the very slight natural advantage of lower distortion the 12" has over the 9".

I found nothing at all dismissive of the 12" in Marc's careful and thoughtful analysis.

No, I just want to keep a balanced view on the problem - I asked for this article in the original thread.

Calling the effects of tracking error as "marginal" is dismissing the 12" IMHO ... All other arguments are against it.
An no he does not explain anything in detail ... Surely YMMV and we will disagree on it.

BTW, the first two sentences should not be decoupled from the following ones that explain the "why's".

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I'm going to continue relying on my ears and not worrying about engineering theory between 9, 10 and 12" arms. I use 15 ips safety master tape as a guide. If my vinyl version I also have on tape sounds almost as good, I know I'm on the right track. No 9" arms in my setup...5-12" and 2-10.5". Maybe someday I will try the SAT. Thanks MF not leaving us on such a sour note ! :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing