T.H.E. Show Newport 2018 Ron Report: JBL Everest DD67000

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
JBL EVEREST DD67000

For JBL horn aficionados we saw and heard the top-of-the-line modern JBL horn system: the Everest DD67000.

IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

Driven by 80 watt push-pull amplifiers KeithR and I heard great dynamics and dynamic range. We both found the sound to be on the bright side, but JeffT who heard the system the next day — and who owns the PBN Audio M2!5, which features the JBL D2430H mid-range/tweeter compression driver with dual-diaphragms in a custom M-T-M configuration — did not agree.

IMG_0085.JPG

PROJECT EVEREST DD67000

Under a program called Project Everest, JBL® engineers designed the ultimate loudspeaker system: the Project Everest DD66000. But they wanted to outdo themselves. Using the latest technologies, they created the DD67000. This three-way speaker features dual 15-inch (380-millimeter) three-layer (pure-pulp layers over and under a foam-injection core) sandwich cone woofers for articulate, authoritative bass response. Clear high and midrange frequencies come through a 4-inch (100-millimeter) pure beryllium compression driver. And a 1-inch (25-millimeter), pure-beryllium ultrahigh-frequency driver delivers sounds up to 60kHz – far above the range of human hearing.
Available in rosewood and maple, the Everest DD67000 stays true to our heritage: the world’s most coveted sound equipment.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Dual 15? (380mm) three-layer sandwich cone woofers for authoritative bass response
• 4? (100mm) pure-beryllium diaphragm for crystal-clear highs
• 1? (25mm), pure-beryllium diaphragm for extreme highs
• Extremely smooth and wide frequency response
• Proprietary Bi-Radial® horns
• 100 – 500 watts suggested amplifier power range
• Excellent terminals and system controls
• Bi-wiring capabilities
Flawless enclosure construction (Less)

SPECIFICATIONS
Description Dual 15? (380mm), three-way, floorstanding speaker designed for a superlative listening experience
Frequency Response 29Hz – 60kHz (half space); 45Hz – 60kHz (anechoic)
Recommended Amplifier Power 500 watts
Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m) 96dB
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms; 5.0 ohms @ 80Hz; 3.0 ohms @ 40kHz
Crossover Frequencies (Hz) 150Hz (LF1 6dB/octave) 850Hz (LF2 24dB/octave) 20kHz (UHF 24dB/octave)
Ultrahigh-frequency Drive Components 1? (25mm) pure-beryllium compression driver
High-frequency Drive Components 4? (100mm) pure-beryllium compression driver
Low-frequency Drive Components Dual 15? (380mm) three-layer, pure-pulp sandwich/foam core cone woofer
Height 43.7” (110.9 cm)
Width 38” (96.5 cm)
Depth 18.5” (47 cm)
Weight Weight: 313 lb (142.1 kg) / Shipping Weight: 383 lb (173.9 kg)
Finishes Rosewood or Maple

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Odd, something would have to be hella bright sounding to make those sound bright. They're pretty relaxed otherwise.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Odd, something would have to be hella bright sounding to make those sound bright. They're pretty relaxed otherwise.

It was piercing on classical album "Round Up" - i chalked it up to room although they actually used a lot of treatment? Sometimes I sit a little high due to my chair and cant adjust back enough - but Ron and my friend Doug all agreed without hinting at eachother the room was bright.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Ya... I think some times to assist old ears.

But also there is this annoy complication that the standard EQ curve from a studio is to turn bass up a little and highs down.... so then you have audiophile systems trying to tilt it back to normal but that doesn't work with all music. :rolleyes:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I also thought that this room/speaker combo was too bright. Unfortunately, I felt the imaging wasn't that precise here either, and the speakers seemed too large for the room. As in most rooms at this show, the rooms acoustics were poor and extremely hard to deal with ( according to most exhibitors I spoke with). In this room, although there were some acoustic treatments, these speakers seemed to be the wrong choice.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Good point, I don't see 6ft between the speakers, and anything less never works right...

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
A friend of mine who has heard these elsewhere confirms they tend towards being a bit bright and hard. He agrees with Ron and doesn't think it was an issue with the room.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Ron,
I want back into the room and I have to agree with KeithR and you, it was bright. When I was in the room earlier, they were playing classical music that had limited highs and dynamics. Also, I found the vertical dispersion of the driver and the corresponding small sound stage disappointing. These speakers were on the top of my list when I was out shopping for my next speaker. I'm happy I went with the PBN's....

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
JBL Everest is disappointing. I have heard the 66000 and the 67000 with multiple amps now. Accuphase, jadis, a class D, and also heard the K2 though only at shows with the ML. They all around the same. Thin, poor bass, low on tone. No vertical dispersion, that's bang on. However a custom theater horn made with vintage JBL drivers was awesome

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
JBL Everest is disappointing. I have heard the 66000 and the 67000 with multiple amps now. Accuphase, jadis, a class D, and also heard the K2 though only at shows with the ML. They all around the same. Thin, poor bass, low on tone. No vertical dispersion, that's bang on. However a custom theater horn made with vintage JBL drivers was awesome

If you make it out to So. Cal again you'll have to check out my custom horns Kedar, they tick the boxes the 67000's miss.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
The fact of the matter is the speaker does sound quite poor, especially given the asking price. I concur I find it bright, hard, brash at times. It's hard work to listen to, especially on brass.

The JBL 4367 is, oddly, far, far superior. And a lot cheaper. Which is mad, but hey.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing