Magnepan 30.7 in San Diego

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
Stereo Unlimited, 3191 Sports Arena Blvd, will be hosting a Magnepan event next Monday, June 4 between 12 pm and 7 pm. Wendell Diller will be there to present the 30.7 and other Magnepan speakers. Refreshments will be served. All are welcome. The store has one of the largest vinyl inventories in Southern California.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Well, I just got back from listening to the new Maggie 30.7’s.
It’s been a long day, so I will give my full impressions later, however, I can say that these speakers are truly exceptional!

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Well, I just got back from listening to the new Maggie 30.7’s.
It’s been a long day, so I will give my full impressions later, however, I can say that these speakers are truly exceptional!

Hi Davey,

I’m really curious in what ways are they superior to the Magnepan 20.7’s, which are also terrific speakers.

Best,
Ken

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Ken,
I have heard the 20.7’s on only two occasions. Therefore, please take what I say about the two speakers in that context.
The biggest difference to my ears was the ability of the 30.7’s to portray accurate bass. The old bugaboo about planars not being that dynamic was always in evidence to my ears...until I heard the new 30.7. This is another area where I feel the new speaker leaves all of the other Maggie’s ( and for that matter all other planar speakers that I have heard) in the dust!
Add to this a larger stage and slightly better high frequency purity...and you have the general differences between the 20.7 and the 30.7. OTOH, this could all be off-set by the fact that the 20.7’s probably will work in far more settings and in slightly smaller rooms.

Basically in thirty five years of being in this hobby, I can say that I have only heard maybe a handful of speakers that sound better than the 30.7’s! None of those speakers were priced at,or below, the price of the 30.7’s. Many were priced at multiples of their price!
In my opinion...if one is looking for that last speaker...one that is full range and will deliver the ability to amaze, and if one has the room size (crucial), then this new 30.7 should be on everyone’s short list. It’s going to take some set up skill, the right gear upstream ( including preferably quad amping or at least bi-amping) a great source and the ability to add room acoustic treatment behind the speakers; but get this done....and you are at the end game. They are that great:cool:

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing