Gryphon Colosseum Stereo v Antileon Evo Stereo

newbiecapri

Dec 20, 2019
Hi...sorry, i put a kind of double negative. The Evo + SF is a sound that would be consistent with Tube + Evo. (In my post, I had said that Evo would not be inconsistent with choosing a tubed amp. I should have said choosing Evo would be consistent with choosing Tube amplification.)

Hope that makes it clearer. Evo is a good choice if you wish to go for a sound that is Tubed + SF and want all-out assault grunt and bass power.
Thanks for the clarification.
My concern though, do you guys feel the Antileon EVO is an upgrade over the Essence Stereo Or its a sideway move ?
I have heard the Essence a few times and its quiet good. But my curiosity takes the better of me and ask if the bigger brother would bring me more to the plate.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Thanks for the clarification.
My concern though, do you guys feel the Antileon EVO is an upgrade over the Essence Stereo Or its a sideway move ?
I have heard the Essence a few times and its quiet good. But my curiosity takes the better of me and ask if the bigger brother would bring me more to the plat
It's simple Essence stereo is a downgrade move VS Evo stereo.
Essence Monos is a sideway move VS Evo stereo.
Keep in mind that if you value mostly warmth and engagement you will need a tube linestage with the Essence amps, VAC and Aries Cerat come to mind.
With the Evo you don't necessarily need a tube linestage, CH Precision L1 would be fantastic with the Evo stereo very liquid.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
My Essence combo suggestion would be Essence Monos + Aries Cerat Impera ll Ref.
Just my 2 cents.

newbiecapri

Dec 20, 2019
It's simple Essence stereo is a downgrade move VS Evo stereo.
Essence Monos is a sideway move VS Evo stereo.
Keep in mind that if you value mostly warmth and engagement you will need a tube linestage with the Essence amps, VAC and Aries Cerat come to mind.
With the Evo you don't necessarily need a tube linestage, CH Precision L1 would be fantastic with the Evo stereo very liquid.
Thanks for this info...
I think I can believe the Tube pre + Essence stereo combo.
However having heard the Essence pre & power = quiet impressive as well, however on some recordings it can sound a "tad" bright but still very much listenable.
Whats your take on the Essence Pre + ANTIleon Evo combo ?
That's what I thought also on the Essence hierarchy vs the Antileon Evo.
Antileon Evo costing almost twice as much, it has to have something to give more than what the Essence can give.
Thank you again for this nice discussion.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Thanks for this info...
I think I can believe the Tube pre + Essence stereo combo.
However having heard the Essence pre & power = quiet impressive as well, however on some recordings it can sound a "tad" bright but still very much listenable.
Whats your take on the Essence Pre + ANTIleon Evo combo ?
That's what I thought also on the Essence hierarchy vs the Antileon Evo.
Antileon Evo costing almost twice as much, it has to have something to give more than what the Essence can give.
Thank you again for this nice discussion.
Well the linstage used with the Antileon is the Zena it's the same as the Essence pre just the chassis look that changes if i recall.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Vac Pre-amp / CJ/ ARC is more accessible to me than Aries Cerat..
The Aries Cerat Incito S is not too expensive i don't know if it's within your budget otherwise VAC is good too.
I'm not fan of ARC but that's just me.

Reactions: newbiecapri

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing