Why Archie Bunker is different

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I grew up watching this and I know what kind of portrayal that was. Bunker said rude things and insensitive things, but he ultimately got put in his place. The good values were obvious. These were the values of Edith. It was obviously comedy and I watched it to see Meathead and his sister. She was great. Same with Seinfeld. Good comedy, but bad behavior was never rewarded.

The problem with more recent programming is that it glorifies bad behavior and bad values. Sends the message that it's okay to behave badly and disrespect anyone and everyone. Well it's not okay.

The networks only want to sell advertising and get viewers. They don't care anymore what the programming is. The lowest common denominator is okay with them.

If 15% of the country were rapists, they would make rapist programs.

We have a school shooting every week thanks to this shift in values in the US. We have corrupt, cheating politicians. We have an increasing percentage of students cheating on exams. We have sports heroes lying about doping. We have sports stars assaulting their girlfriends and wives. Movie moguls and other powerful people committing sex-crimes with impunity. More and more of the population doesn't have a problem with cheating on their taxes, breaking driving laws or assaulting someone. The corporate program executives are at fault for a lot of this IMO.

This is not about politics, it's just decent human behavior. The kind your mother should have taught every one of us.

It's time for the pendulum to swing the other way before it's too late, and I believe it will be women that will make that happen.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Mr. Nugent,
Did you get confirmation that Dr. Steve was out on errands again? Otherwise this thread won't last long....

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing