Best DACs comparison test result [[My Subjective Opinion]]

jh901

Jun 22, 2018
PITTSBURGH
Wow, amazing. Where is Playback Designs MPD-8? Any way you can get your hands on one?

Hopefully, it will compete ok against Select Dac despite huge price gap.

I had A-B test about 2 months.

And I make Best DAC Quality Ranking list.

This ranking is just my subjective thinking.

The formats that is used in comparison test is all 16bit / 44.1KHz, not DSD

The Result :

1st : Select DAC II Full Option - 100%
2nd : Trinity DAC - 90%
3rd : Formula xHD - 77%
4th : d1-Six - 75%
5th : La Scala MK II Optologic - 70%
6th : Terminator - 69%
7th : Golden Atlantic - 65%
8th : Dave - 61%
9th : Analog DAC - 60%
10th : Manhattan II - 56%
10th : DirectStream - 53%
11th : Spring Lv. 3 KTE - 51%
12th : Yggdrasil - 47%
13th : Brooklyn - 31%

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Congrats Highstream - Lampi’s are high on my list of interest. The ps audio direct stream w/ newest firmware “windom” really expanded and clarified the sonic picture in my setup and I see in this thread there are many many others of r2r and delta sigma camps that garner much more praise and attention. So anyway I have the itch to push the dac in my system but am stymied by analysis paralysis. Would love to do in home auditions of some of the favorites in this thread. Did PS audio’s direct stream‘s new firmware close the gap with some of the aforementioned reference level dacs or should I scratch that itch? Also any love out there for esoteric k’s and if so where might their dac fit in style and in the opinion hierarchy?
The Esoterics are fast and detailed buy highly artificial IMO. I have heard the K-01 a LOT and know it will. Also heard the D-02. There is an Esoteric sound if you like IMO, it is not my cup of tea personally.

The latest Esoteric model - they have dropped the chip array and upsampling, gone for FPGA and discrete and are supposed to sound smoother. I haven't heard them yet.

Reactions: Peterranxiang

jh901

Jun 22, 2018
PITTSBURGH
The Esoterics are fast and detailed buy highly artificial IMO. I have heard the K-01 a LOT and know it will. Also heard the D-02. There is an Esoteric sound if you like IMO, it is not my cup of tea personally.

The latest Esoteric model - they have dropped the chip array and upsampling, gone for FPGA and discrete and are supposed to sound smoother. I haven't heard them yet.

Right, the new K 01HD and K 03HD feature Esoteric's proprietary fpga from their cost-no-object gear. Pretty cool that they are bringing that tech down into the semi affordable offerings.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Any familiarity w the APL Dsd-Mr? The one review I read was essentially empty, but a fine read.

joelha

Jun 16, 2013
spiritofmusic, what specifically would you like to know about the APL DSD-MR?

I have one of the first models of the new MK2 version.

If you were referring to Chris Connaker's review, his remarks concerned the earlier MK1 version.

As an audiophile, it's very tempting to listen for whether a component makes the highs sound harsh, or whether the midrange is realistic or if the bass is tight and well defined.

I'm sure you know the routine concerning that and numerous other "measures" audiophiles employ when evaluating a product.

This might be the first component I've heard that sounded so natural that I stopped "analyzing" and just wanted to listen to the music.

My body relaxed almost as soon as the dac started playing. I didn't have to focus, just listen.

The DSD-MR MK2 is both the most analogue sounding and most detailed dac I've ever heard.

I've traveled to audio shows all over the world and I've never heard anything to equal it.

As I don't want to leave you feeling as if my comments were also "empty", I'll try to answer any other questions you have.

As an aside, Alex Peychev, the creator of APL products, is one of the kindest and most decent people I've ever met in the audio industry.

Joel

Reactions: redgogo

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Joel, all I meant by empty comments was that there wasn't much beyond praise and relation to an analog type sound, with not much specific comparison.
I totally agree w you, the moment you "hear" or "notice" bass, treble etc, you're aware of the component and not the music.
I'm lucky enough to own one of the most natural self-effacing cdps in existence, and hugely affordable. But of course, I love window shopping and perusing top tier systems including illustrious more familiar gear like Lampi, TD, MSB, Ares Cerat, Aqua.
After reading that review, and remembering the reverence APL had back in the day, alongside the Stahl Tek and Trinity dacs that were the heavy hitters 10-15 yrs ago, I was just curious as to whether this APL is good enough to be considered along today's top brands. I do lust over gear like the JMF 3.7 universal disc transport, and could see this w APL being a nice way to spend $100k+ lol.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I can say this. The last time I heard an msb sel ii it has just gotten the new res book filter. It was the best red book I had heard to that date.
Now having said this since then I now own a pac by lampizator. I feel if it were on that list or would be in the top 3. There being a choice of system synergy at this point. nice trial good read.

Verastarr

Dec 4, 2015
Unfortunately first hand listening to $20K plus DACs in house is not possible for most, so I provide a valuable resource and a way to compare the DACs with one another. This way if you have heard one of them, and I think I compared the 14 DACS I had at the time, so nearly every Audiophile has heard at least one of them, it gives a way to judge if its more lean or more full or some general sense of feel type characteristics. The key to Youtube listening to get the most out of it is to use a smartphone and earbuds because that is how the website is optimized for listening.

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
Esostar- Any chance of inserting a Bricasti into your listening? They have a familial sound so any would be a good choice. Why not one of the top models, M12 or M21?

Reactions: KLH007

Echos

Jul 14, 2019
Unfortunately first hand listening to $20K plus DACs in house is not possible for most, so I provide a valuable resource and a way to compare the DACs with one another. This way if you have heard one of them, and I think I compared the 14 DACS I had at the time, so nearly every Audiophile has heard at least one of them, it gives a way to judge if its more lean or more full or some general sense of feel type characteristics. The key to Youtube listening to get the most out of it is to use a smartphone and earbuds because that is how the website is optimized for listening.

Echos

Jul 14, 2019
Verastarr - u should compare directstream in your shootouts as well. That would be great.

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
For 2 Months, I had added DAC comparison test.

So, my subjective DACs ranking list is various.

The way of comparison test is that I visit Korean distributor's HI FI room with my Trinity DAC, Formula xHD, and Terminator, and compare best DACs.

My new DACs Ranking List is include Aries Cerat flagship model.

Kassandra flagship model's score is made by users' reviews.

Here is my [Subjective] Best DACs Ranking List (only PCM comparison) :

Famous DACs Quality Ranking List

1st : Select DAC II Full Option - 100%

2nd : Kassandra MKII Sig LE - 96%

3nd : Trinity DAC - 91%

4th : d1-Twelve - 90%

5th : Atlantis DAC - 89%

6th : Reference DAC Full Option - 87%

7th : Vivaldi 4 Stacks / Vivaldi One - 87%

8th : Pacific DAC - 86%

8th : C1 + X1 + T1 - 86%

10th : d1-Seven - 82%

11th : Golden Gate 2 - 81%

12th : Formula xHD - 78%

13th : d1-Six - 76.5%

14th : Golden Gate - 75.5%

15th : Terminator - 73%

16th : d1-tube-mk II - 72%

17th : La Scala MK II Optologic - 70%

18th : Golden Atlantic - 67%

19th : Venus - 61%

19th : HD DAC - 61%

21th : QX-5 Twenty - 59%

21th : C8 - 59%

23th : MPD-5 - 56%

24th : DA 2 - 55%

25th : Dave - 53%

26th : Manhattan II - 51%

27th : DirectStream - 50%

28th : Spring DAC LV. 3 KTE - 45.5%

29th : DAC 8 DSD - 44%

30th : Yggdrasil - 40%

31th : BDA-3 - 38.5%

32th : Brooklyn + - 35%

This is just my subjective list.

I hope you read for fun~!
Where is Mola Mola Tambaui? It deserve upfront place in this list, I strongly believe that.

Reactions: musicfirst1

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Great thread!

I am looking to upgrade my current DAC -- an Ayre QX-5 Twenty. I have shortlisted to the following list. Which one would you recommend:

1 - MSB Discrete
2 - dCS Bartok
3 - Mola Mola Tambaqui
4 - Chord DAVE (add the M Scaler later)
5 - Keep my Ayre QX-5 Twenty, do nothing

Thanks!
Mola Mola, it is sooo good.

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Mola Mola, it is sooo good.
Just auditioning Mola and I like it very much but I really like the concept of Aries Cerat, maybee Helene or stratch the budget for Kassandra LE? I am going crazy here :) I drive car for 6000 euros but sometimes I drive with highend gear over 30 000 euros, crazy is it not ? :)

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Great thread!

I am looking to upgrade my current DAC -- an Ayre QX-5 Twenty. I have shortlisted to the following list. Which one would you recommend:

1 - MSB Discrete
2 - dCS Bartok
3 - Mola Mola Tambaqui
4 - Chord DAVE (add the M Scaler later)
5 - Keep my Ayre QX-5 Twenty, do nothing

Thanks!
Highstream. Yes,
Did you read the thread?
some of it I did read, yes :)

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Highstream. Yes,

some of it I did read, yes :)

Try reading all, at least all of the OP’s posts to understand how this list came about and thus its limitations.

To be clear, my reply comes in response to the tone of your post. Instead of asking about the Mola-Mola, it’s posed as if the OP unjustifiably failed in some way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Try reading all, at least all of the OP’s posts to understand how this list came about.. Speaking as someone who receives email notifications and thus must open the thread each time someone posts, I appreciate when the poster has done their homework first.
Ok, sorry, I will do that. It is very interesting thread, I just did not have enough time. Thanks for understanding

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Where is Mola Mola Tambaui? It deserve upfront place in this list, I strongly believe that.

Welcome to WBF, Zappadaddy!

A member posts the most exhaustive comparative survey of any audio component I personally have ever seen: thirty-two (32) candidates. He even concedes at the beginning and at the end of his post comparing DACs that this is merely his "subjective" preference ordering. But he left one off the list? :oops:

Please tell us which of the 32 DACs on this list you have compared directly to the Mola Mola.

I like your system: 833 SETs driving Westminster Royal Golds! Please start a new thread and tell us more about your system!

Last edited:
Reactions: Zappadaddy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing