Audioquest Hurricane Power Cord

pke10000

Jan 22, 2018
Wow!
Thank you GSOphile. Actually the gap between hurricane and dragon was so far.
If the new firebird locates at the mid point, it looks good.

redandgold

Jun 3, 2018
Last weekend I asked explicitely an audioquest sales manager about the rumours concerning a new hurricane cable. He refused this rumours. He told me AQ has only changed the colors because the different colors mean a different class inside the cable program. Nothing else. The only change AQ has made half a year ago at all cables with DBS that a small cable beside the DBS box is vanished because had antenna effect.

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
Wonder how the Hurricane compares to the High Fidelity Pro cord.
There's a substantial $ difference!
High Fidelity Cables top of the line PRO cord.
I'm anxious to see what kind of sound/video improvements I get, feeding it into my High Fidelity Hemisphere power conditioner.
Everything is plugged into the conditioner, including my Kuro plasma TV.
I'll post my impressions when I receive it!

Attachments

• HFpro_mainx_sm.jpg
    HFpro_mainx_sm.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Last weekend I asked explicitely an audioquest sales manager about the rumours concerning a new hurricane cable. He refused this rumours. He told me AQ has only changed the colors because the different colors mean a different class inside the cable program. Nothing else. The only change AQ has made half a year ago at all cables with DBS that a small cable beside the DBS box is vanished because had antenna effect.

I stand corrected. This is what I was told recently as well.

Reactions: Alpinist

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I was told Audioquest is coming out with a new power cord in between the Hurricane and Dragon, called the Firebird.

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
I was told Audioquest is coming out with a new power cord in between the Hurricane and Dragon, called the Firebird.
That is true. AQ' marketing manager for Europe has confirmed this to me.

Rozza

Nov 26, 2018
Wow!
Thank you GSOphile. Actually the gap between hurricane and dragon was so far.
If the new firebird locates at the mid point, it looks good.

Went to a recent dealer event with Garth Powell as the guest speaker. Went through comparison of a couple of speaker cables but was really concentrating on the power cables. Sis comparison of stock cable, thunder, hurricane, dragon. Massive difference between the first three with each iteration. Much much much less so between hurricane and Dragon. Considering their relative prices, hurricane is definitely at the sweet spot of performance vs cost

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Went to a recent dealer event with Garth Powell as the guest speaker. Went through comparison of a couple of speaker cables but was really concentrating on the power cables. Sis comparison of stock cable, thunder, hurricane, dragon. Massive difference between the first three with each iteration. Much much much less so between hurricane and Dragon. Considering their relative prices, hurricane is definitely at the sweet spot of performance vs cost

Thanks for the information. That is good to know since I have purchased 4 Hurricanes so far.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Brilliant result I’d say.

Did you trial other cables too?

I have had an assortment of cables over the years. The Hurricanes for my power amp were a huge improvement.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
There is now a source version of the Hurricane available this month in the US at a savings over the HC.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
There is now a source version of the Hurricane available this month in the US at a savings over the HC.

I wonder if the high current version would still be advantageous with source components and pre-amps.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I think I read somewhere where AQ said using a Source PC might actually have a slight advantage over using a comparable HC. This probably best checked out with AQ.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
From those who have both, just how much better is the Dragon than the Hurricane? Could you also describe the sonic differences?

Thanks,
Ken

Number9

Oct 15, 2018
I have both the Dragon and four Hurricanes, all HC. The Dragon came after all the Hurricanes. When I first put the Dragon in my system I was concerned. I was trying to find the component that it made the least impact on. A testament to the Hurricanes. I found some improvements on my server but not across the board. My intenion was to use it on my D’agastino amp but I also preferred the Hurricane. I finally ended up wih it powering my AQ 1000 which is powering all my digital components via Hurricanes and the excellent Siltechs which are different but I prefer to the Hurricanes on the components they’re being used on. My opinion is you gotta try for yourself. “MAGIC” is the only descriptor I can come up with that distinguished the difference in favor of the much less expensive Hurricanes. In the end though I wouldn’t change my power configuration the way it is. I think the sound was influenced by the fresh Dragon vs nicely aged Hurricanes. I am now using my mono amps instead of the stereo and I am not planning on getting an additional Dragon to power each channel.

Reactions: mulveling

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
I have both the Dragon and four Hurricanes, all HC. The Dragon came after all the Hurricanes. When I first put the Dragon in my system I was concerned. I was trying to find the component that it made the least impact on. A testament to the Hurricanes. I found some improvements on my server but not across the board. My intenion was to use it on my D’agastino amp but I also preferred the Hurricane. I finally ended up wih it powering my AQ 1000 which is powering all my digital components via Hurricanes and the excellent Siltechs which are different but I prefer to the Hurricanes on the components they’re being used on. My opinion is you gotta try for yourself. “MAGIC” is the only descriptor I can come up with that distinguished the difference in favor of the much less expensive Hurricanes. In the end though I wouldn’t change my power configuration the way it is. I think the sound was influenced by the fresh Dragon vs nicely aged Hurricanes. I am now using my mono amps instead of the stereo and I am not planning on getting an additional Dragon to power each channel.
Are you saying the Hurricanes are better than Dragons?

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Thank you Number9 for your response!

Ayreman, I would also appreciate your feedback since I read you also have both Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables.

Best,
Ken

Number9

Oct 15, 2018
Are you saying the Hurricanes are better than Dragons?
No, not at all..... I am just satisfied with my set up they way as is. I wouldn’t replace the one Dragon I have now with anything else either. I switched over from my previous loom not too long after the whole “Storm” series was first released and I understand that the entire series was recently revamped so this is another consideration. For me to get a helpful comparison I would need to.buy at least two (more) HC Dragons.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Thanks for this detailed response. I have all Hurricanes at this point and hadn't planned on going to any Dragons. If I did it would only be for my Vandersteen amps. Based on your experience it doesn't seem like I should hurry to do this.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Thank you Number9 for your response!

Ayreman, I would also appreciate your feedback since I read you also have both Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables.

Best,
Ken

Ken,

What are you using on your Vandy Amps? When I put in the Hurricanes to replace some Cardas/RSA power cables I noticed a huge difference.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing