Audioquest Hurricane Power Cord

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
My Vandersteen M7-HPA amps came with stock power cords which I have been using for the past 9 months. While they aren't fancy, I assumed they were pretty good since Richard provides top of the line speaker cables with the amps.

Last week I received a pair of Audioquest's new storm series high current power cable, Hurricane. These have an interesting design with 3 individual, twisted cables.

What a difference they made within the first 10 minutes. Significantly lower noise compared to the stock. I sounded like a veil was lifted.

I don't know if this is a statement about the stock cables or the Hurricane (or both) but I am really happy with these. Anyone with these amps using the stock cable should try out some upgraded cords.

I am going to get another cable to be used with my Doshi preamp and see what it does for components.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Those are good cables, fairly priced too.
I usually recommend people start with the power cords, since they're the ones folks expect the least amount of change, and usually they're the ones that provide the best bang x buck in terms of performance, when upgraded.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Those are good cables, fairly priced too.
I usually recommend people start with the power cords, since they're the ones folks expect the least amount of change, and usually they're the ones that provide the best bang x buck in terms of performance, when upgraded.

That has been my exact experience.

The Dragons look nice too but they were a little to pricey for me.

I am confused as to which cables one should use for sources and components since the storm series cables all say high current.

Do you know?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
They don't have one for the Storm series, only Dragon. But we've used Hurricane for sources with no problem! And some preamps (like our ARC REF 10) actually draw a lot of current, more than most amps.

Iamrael

Nov 3, 2017
I recently (5 months ago) switched from Shunyata Sigma’s to the Hurricane’s (along with the 1000 conditioner for my preamp and DAC). I have a Dragon on the way to try out on the preamp. I still have two Siltech Ruby Hill on my digital(server/DAC). I have been comparing various cables whenever the opportunity comes up and haven’t heard anything that pleases me more than the Hurricane’s. Where the Shunyata (to me) sounded a tad bloated, the AQ is more lively and articulate.

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
I use 5 Hurricanes and 5 Dragons HC in my system. Both cables are unprecedented in their price categories. Hurricage beats anything up to 10K. Dragon HC is simply the best power cord on this planet. Period.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I use 5 Hurricanes and 5 Dragons HC in my system. Both cables are unprecedented in their price categories. Hurricage beats anything up to 10K. Dragon HC is simply the best power cord on this planet. Period.

Well now there's an endorsement... I'll put a Dragon on my audition list for sure. Though is the HC version of the Dragon needed for preamps, phono stages, etc? In fact my amp only runs a 4A fuse, not exactly high current.

pke10000

Jan 22, 2018
Well now there's an endorsement... I'll put a Dragon on my audition list for sure. Though is the HC version of the Dragon needed for preamps, phono stages, etc? In fact my amp only runs a 4A fuse, not exactly high current.

I've ever asked the current capacity of dragon source power cord to audioquest.
They answerd that it generally recommended 6 to 7 amps per marketing for safety reasons. But the cable could handle up to 10 amps RMS, or 1200 watts RMS.
I think dragon source is enough for your amp.

But I recommend you ask it again.

Thanks

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I've ever asked the current capacity of dragon source power cord to audioquest.
They answerd that it generally recommended 6 to 7 amps per marketing for safety reasons. But the cable could handle up to 10 amps RMS, or 1200 watts RMS.
I think dragon source is enough for your amp.

But I recommend you ask it again.

Thanks

I think people are using HC cables with non-HC devices, presumably for sound quality reasons. But I wonder how significant. The difference between the Source and HC Dragon cable is $1100.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

I keep hearing great reports on those new AQ PCs.

I'm waiting for the new version of Hurricane, which should be out this month, to check them out in my system.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I keep hearing great reports on those new AQ PCs.

I'm waiting for the new version of Hurricane, which should be out this month, to check them out in my system.

They have already modified the Hurricane? I thought this is a relatively new design.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
This was the very first cable designed by Garth Powell, introduced 2 or 3 years ago. I was told by AQ ppl they learned some new tricks introducing subsequent models, chence the update.

Iamrael

Nov 3, 2017
This was the very first cable designed by Garth Powell, introduced 2 or 3 years ago. I was told by AQ ppl they learned some new tricks introducing subsequent models, chence the update.

This is not the information I got after speaking with the Regional Sales Mgr. earlier today, as well as the Chief in Command in Calif. I have several Hurricanes and just ordered the HC Dragon and after reading your post wanted clarification. You never know for sure though as often these things are kept under the rug until actually released.

pke10000

Jan 22, 2018

Last week, I audited Tornado power cord at my home. It was enough good in the price range.
I tried to order hurricane, but should I wait for new one ?

AJR

Feb 12, 2018
Last week, I audited Tornado power cord at my home. It was enough good in the price range.
I tried to order hurricane, but should I wait for new one ?

My thoughts exactly re: the Tornado (so I bought 3 of them). But I may need another power cable so I am thinking of buying a Hurricane to connect my power conditioner to the wall and use the Tornado currently from wall for my new unit

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
I auditioned the Hurricane over the last week and I think it's one of the best under $2000 power cables I've heard. A lot of great attributes are packed into that cable. I intend to hear the Dragon cables when I can.

johndoe21ro

Oct 3, 2012
Europe

Are you sure they are going to change anything on the 'inside'? I heard that AQ wants just to 'paint' it blue!

Reactions: oscarnr

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Evidently they changed the jacket on the Hurricane to blue so they can use red on a new Firebird offering (unannounced) that will slot between the Hurricane and the Dragon.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing