MIT vs Transparent cables

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
For me, I like both MIT and Transparent but (yes, there is a "but") I have come to prefer Transparent. Both have a sonic signature to me. Both are excellent cables IMO and I actually prefer the network boxes over any straight cable. That's just me though, YMMV.

When it comes to MIT, I have heard them from the bottom of the barrel to the TOTL and there is something about the coloring of the cables that just does not appeal to me. In my system or any of the others I have heard. As mentioned before by some other members, it boils down to a personal preference. I have very few trusted ears that I will rely on from time to time. One of those few trusted ears prefers MIT and touts them often. He prefers MIT while I prefer Transparent. Both add a little bit of coloring IMO/IME but the Transparent (for me) adds it better/less than the MIT's I have heard.

Like LL21 and Jfrech, I have had Transparent for years now and I have no desire to hear anything else in my rig. The synergy is top notch and I am a very happy, albeit very picky consumer of Transparent cables. You may hear Transparent and prefer MIT. It may be the exact opposite. IMO, this question simply boils down to your system and preference. FWIW.

Tom

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
For me, I like both MIT and Transparent but (yes, there is a "but") I have come to prefer Transparent.

Tom
I am sure personal tastes matter here. I am yet to hear Transparent. Would you describe the sonic differences between Transparent and MIT the way you hear them ? Thanks.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I would but......

It would be fruitless.

Call me and I will be honest. On this board? It would be fruitless and end up in an argument. PM me for an answer to your query. FWIW.

Tom

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Why should we consider these cables as EQ networks if they are tuned to hundreds of kilohertz, well above the audio band?

Well im expirimenting now with that at the moment , i ve put some filter components in my LS cables.
At values that shouldnt interfear much in the audible range , first first order filters then second order
When i rig up my Clio Gear i Will post the effect in the audible range OR Just above
I must say it doesnt sound bad.
I could off course also design a cable which will solve a hot tweeterdesign in a ls.
May be Andromeda design is going boxed cables lol, the housing will be HPL for sure, plus i Will tell the customer what they do and where they cut off

Last edited:

audioway

Mar 28, 2015
Voronezh
It’s a really good question

I like both cables, but everything comes down at this level to taste, and the exact implementation in your system

At this level, you need to consider a complete loom, to keep the magic happening thru the system

I have only compared complete loom of mit oracle with zensati and Odin, not transparent so cannot comment

What’s the rest of your system and speaker cable

Hello awsmone. Can you describe sound of ZenSati compared to MIT Oracle and Nordost Odin (you say that you compared it)? Thanks

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
well, now you can use Ethan's 'null box' and see for your self ...........

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Winer makes a comeback on WBF. Or in his own words, this is pure bullshit

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
When it comes to EQ networks like these, it's a personal preference thing. There is no universal correct answer.
One man's great euphonic coloration is another man's worst.
Actually, they aren't EQ boxes. An EQ box would have to be wired in series to act like an EQ, but these networks are NOT wired in series. They are wired in parallel so they create each network for a specific very narrow band to help that frequency "articulate' to it's best abilities. They have their "What's inside the Box" video that explains this. IT's to help NOT color the sound since cables by themselves tend to color the sound because they don't "articulate" across the 20hz to 20khz bandwidth which they have measured. Everyone else, other than Transparent, has to rely on cable geometries, etc. etc. to achieve hopefully a linear cable, but it's probably impossible to achieve that, that's why MIT decided to go the network route. It's a lot more controllable, repeatable and much quicker since they already know what they are doing. It's just unfortunate, the MIT has a unique methodology for measuring cables and they do have some custom measurement tools only available to them.

Otherwise, it's a try and see if it's good for you in your system. Regardless of what cables you end up with, they still have to be matched properly to the system. MIT has their impedance matching in their higher end cables, which makes it a lot easier, otherwise I believe you can send your cables in to have them change the impedance should you have gear that requires it..

Reactions: Scott W

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
well, now you can use Ethan's 'null box' and see for your self ...........

A few things that bother me about Ethan's test. First off, he hasn't given his box to any cable mfg. for them to examine to see if there's any monkey business going on. Second, he turns a knob to achieve a desired result, that bothers me a LOT. Thirdly, his test bench has a TON of noise and that also bothers me when it comes to doing any tests with cables. And finally, he has only done one test with one cable, he hasn't tested a lot of different cables. Also, I would like it if people like Bruce Brisson would make a public comment on reasons for or against a Null test. He, IMO, is one of the leading authorities on cable measurements..

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
It doesn't get in the way of the music. While I liked the beefed up bass of MIT (speaker cable only), I did not like the treble leading edge transients...especially on music that has some sibilance recorded like Armstrong for example. I have a full Odin loom. It sounds more natural to me, balanced...not hyped up in one area or more.
With the MIT cables, how long did you have them? The reason I ask is whether or not they were burned in long enough. Due to the dielectrics they use, they typically take about 100 hours or so to fully burn in. Things tend to change after they've been fully burned in. For me, I've never heard any MIT cable sound edgy or harsh and I've been using their products since the 90's when their Shotgun products first came out. And I've been using later gen Magnums and love them!! Very natural highs and I never get ear fatigue with ANY of their cables.

And were they impedance matched to your system?

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
Why should we consider these cables as EQ networks if they are tuned to hundreds of kilohertz, well above the audio band?
They aren't tuned to hundreds of kilohertz. They are tuned to frequencies that are related to musical notes and/or their relative harmonics, but their highest frequency isn't anywhere near 20khz. I think they kind of end around 10khz, but I could be wrong on that. They are definitely related to musical note frequencies as that's what they are trying to preserve. They aren't trying to color them like an EQ. That's why they are wired in parallel vs in series like an EQ. GO watch their "What's inside the Box" video on YouTube, they give a pretty good explanation of what they are measuring, etc. etc.

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
I didn't know that.So are they Zobels and very situation specific? Or are they RFI filters and very situation specific?
They use noise filters on their power cable products and their "articulation" filters for speaker and interconnects. They aren't a Zobel design, they have their own design that has a patent. What frequencies they design them around are based on what frequencies aren't articulating properly and they just add more frequencies to get more linearity and better resolution. The more the better concept.

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
I am trying out MIT Oracle series interconnects and I like what I hear. Outstanding soundstaging with natural harmonics and timbres. Not thin and edgy. However the big network boxes are quite off putting as each cable has its own box. I think the Transparent interconnects have much smaller boxes that don’t need to rest on the floor. I have not heard Transparent. Would experienced members share your thoughts on the MIT vs the Transparent sound?
I have only tried one pair of Transparent interconnects and they were The Link which are entry level cables. I did enjoy them EXCEPT. The problem with that model is the connectors. They are VERY small and they are VERY tight connection which is good, but unfortunately, I damaged the cables because I had to exert a tremendous amount of pressure to remove them and since the connector is so dang small, my fingers slipped off the connector and accidentally grabbed the cable and ultimately damaged the termination. I don't know if they have changed the connectors or how good their connectors are for their higher end cables, but The Link cables I had sucked because of that. As far as sound quality? They were exceptional, especially for the price.

I've owned MIT cables of various types for over 30 years and they are EXCELLENT cables and NEVER had any problems with them. Some of the earlier connectors were very nice as they had an outer shell that you could easily tighten and loosen when you plug and unplug them into the socket. I don't think they use that design anymore, but I do highly recommend MIT. Transparent is very much behind MIT In terms of what they are doing. But ultimately, buy what you like and get a pair of demo/loaner units and evaluate them for as long as you can. I know MIT has had loaner programs so you can try before you buy and all you do is pay to ship them back at the end of a 30 day period. MIT's do need about 100 hours of burn in before they sound their best, so make sure they are burned in. I don't know if the Transparent's need to be burned in, but ask them if they do. Some cable mfg.'s use different dielectrics and some require burn in periods and some don't. It's all dependent on the Dielectric constant.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
They aren't tuned to hundreds of kilohertz. They are tuned to frequencies that are related to musical notes and/or their relative harmonics, but their highest frequency isn't anywhere near 20khz. I think they kind of end around 10khz, but I could be wrong on that. They are definitely related to musical note frequencies as that's what they are trying to preserve. They aren't trying to color them like an EQ. That's why they are wired in parallel vs in series like an EQ. GO watch their "What's inside the Box" video on YouTube, they give a pretty good explanation of what they are measuring, etc. etc.

180 kHz as measured by Martin Colloms in their Reference XL type. You are probably addressing their vintage entry level cables, that are not representative of their range since long. We will not learn anything worth our time from cable manufacturer videos, they are just marketing videos to attract our attention, addressing just fancy technological aspects of manufacture. We have to rely on our ears in the cable choice, or then just become non-believers!

From a technical/scientific point of view some one buying a $100 IC is as guilty as someone buying a $10k one - science will tell us to spend $50 at maximum!

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
A few things that bother me about Ethan's test. First off, he hasn't given his box to any cable mfg. for them to examine to see if there's any monkey business going on.

OMG, damn near fell of my chair with laughter.........Cable manufacturers / monkey business , you gotta be kidding ?? I'm not trying to imply Ethan is all 'above board' but to think that the cable / wire industry is not without its fair share of snake oil salesmen is ridiculous.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Dave,

Haven't seen Ethans name mentioned in a long time. He is my favorite audio expert and I BELIEVE EVERYTHING HE SAYS.

Gordon

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing