MIT vs Transparent cables

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
I am trying out MIT Oracle series interconnects and I like what I hear. Outstanding soundstaging with natural harmonics and timbres. Not thin and edgy. However the big network boxes are quite off putting as each cable has its own box. I think the Transparent interconnects have much smaller boxes that don’t need to rest on the floor. I have not heard Transparent. Would experienced members share your thoughts on the MIT vs the Transparent sound?

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
It’s a really good question

I like both cables, but everything comes down at this level to taste, and the exact implementation in your system

At this level, you need to consider a complete loom, to keep the magic happening thru the system

I have only compared complete loom of mit oracle with zensati and Odin, not transparent so cannot comment

What’s the rest of your system and speaker cable

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
There are plenty of comparisons spread amongst various threads, but let's keep a couple of things in mind:

1) Nowadays their networks do completely different things - you can't choose their products based on network box size

2) Transparent used to distribute MIT 20+ years ago; then, they decided to copy MIT's low-pass and other filtering and went their own way

3) MIT then introduced this articulation technology, which aims to keep current/voltage phase relationship within the positive leg of the wire as perfect as possible across the audio spectrum and beyond. There may be additional filtering in there as well

3) Around 2000, MIT then introduced impedance-specific versions of its interconnects because of the complexity in their network designs; then, they simply placed impedance switches in their networks, so that people would not have to keep buying and selling cables as their equipment changed. The copy-cats again on the other side then decided to custom-match impedances in their cables; beyond that, they have not been able to do what MIT is currently doing

4) There are real and verifiable patents on the MIT "articulation" networks, none on the other side

I am sure people on either side like what they hear - but the real leader is quite clear, in my mind.

Last edited:

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
It’s a really good question

I like both cables, but everything comes down at this level to taste, and the exact implementation in your system

At this level, you need to consider a complete loom, to keep the magic happening thru the system

I have only compared complete loom of mit oracle with zensati and Odin, not transparent so cannot comment

What’s the rest of your system and speaker cable

I use a mix of Kubala Sosna and Crystal Cables. I am committing to the MIT Oracle 120 speaker cables. Perhaps a loom is ideal. But all the boxes take up real estate on the floor. Wonder anyone ever mixed MIT and Transparent together.

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
Ack, I am new to both brands so do appreciate the background your provided. Thanks.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
What Kubala-Sosna line you have? Have you heard the new flagship, Realization? With the upgrade policy, it might be worth exploring that before moving away...

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I had MIT MA-X SHD speaker cable for a couple years. I always would go back and fourth between it and Nordost Odin. In the end, I kept the Odin and sold the MIT. Always felt a pure simple wire was better than a network box (unnecessary complication, imo). The sound ultimately proved this out to my ears. Can't speak for transparent other than my speakers internal wiring is done with it...but no network boxes !

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
I had MIT MA-X SHD speaker cable for a couple years. I always would go back and fourth between it and Nordost Odin. In the end, I kept the Odin and sold the MIT. Always felt a pure simple wire was better than a network box (unnecessary complication, imo). The sound ultimately proved this out to my ears. Can't speak for transparent other than my speakers internal wiring is done with it...but no network boxes !
Who wouldn’t prefer no boxes. Did you ever try a full loom of MIT? And what is it about Odin ‘s sound that you like over MIT? Thanks.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
When it comes to EQ networks like these, it's a personal preference thing. There is no universal correct answer.
One man's great euphonic coloration is another man's worst.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
When it comes to EQ networks like these, it's a personal preference thing. There is no universal correct answer.
One man's great euphonic coloration is another man's worst.

Why should we consider these cables as EQ networks if they are tuned to hundreds of kilohertz, well above the audio band?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Why should we consider these cables as EQ networks if they are tuned to hundreds of kilohertz, well above the audio band?

Yes , off course we discussed this earlier .
But it remains a if , i never read any documents regarding that by the manufacturers .
I opened a couple of boxes once and they were low pass filters , where they cut off i dont know .
Next time i rig up my clio measurment system and someone will lend /send me a cable with box , i will check the FR of the speaker with or without.
But if people say the bass ¨ improves¨ and the cables are dark sounding i become suspicious

gtz HJ

Reactions: junerpp

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
What Kubala-Sosna line you have? Have you heard the new flagship, Realization? With the upgrade policy, it might be worth exploring that before moving away...
I use the Elation. Would love to hear the Realization. But haven't been able to get hold of any demo units.

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
There are lots of wonderful cables out there, with their own metallurgy and merits but it is impossible to home audition so many brands. In my system I have A-B'ed MIT Oracle with a few brands I have on hand. It may not have the most exquisite high frequencies or lushness or speed of some other cables. But it has other strengths that I like a lot. I am on the fence because the full loom will take up floor space due to the boxes. I happen to use Rockport speakers which recommend Transparent wires if I am not mistaken. Hence, I am interested to hear from members who have compared MIT and Transparent. One day, I may ask to home audition Transparent.
It was not my intention to start/restart a debate on MIT/Transparent vs non network cables. But if members have preferred certain non-networked cables over MIT Oracle on sound quality, I am of course interested to hear the reasons. Thanks.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Well, I wouldn't choose the cable on the size of the networks. I also would prefer common loom...same manufacturer for interconnects and speaker cables.

I can't answer if MIT or Transparent is better. I can say I really enjoy my Transparent cabling and have no desire to even consider anything else.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I can't answer if MIT or Transparent is better. I can say I really enjoy my Transparent cabling and have no desire to even consider anything else.

It is best to have no desire and be happy with what you have. My recommendation is dont try anything new in your system. I was happy with my MIT Max SHD full looms. But my friend Gian juuuust had to send his cable for me to test and now I no longer have MIT.

Kind regards,
Tang

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Which cable is that?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well, I wouldn't choose the cable on the size of the networks. I also would prefer common loom...same manufacturer for interconnects and speaker cables.

+1...over 12 years consecutively.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Who wouldn’t prefer no boxes. Did you ever try a full loom of MIT? And what is it about Odin ‘s sound that you like over MIT? Thanks.

It doesn't get in the way of the music. While I liked the beefed up bass of MIT (speaker cable only), I did not like the treble leading edge transients...especially on music that has some sibilance recorded like Armstrong for example. I have a full Odin loom. It sounds more natural to me, balanced...not hyped up in one area or more.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing