Not much love for idlers??

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
___

For your pleasure only:

Bob,

you realize, of course, that IE users only see big black boxes in your posts and it's mostly litter to the thread. and changing browsers is not real world. so maybe be a bit more discrete as to how much of that stuff is added.

thanks,

Mike

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Mike, you mean that you are using Internet Explorer as your browser and all you can see are big black rectangle boxes?

I have no clue because I'm using both Edge and Chrome. I quit IE about a year ago and before that I hardly used it for about two years. The last time it was my main browser is when I was on Microsoft Windows XP edition.
Some friends are with Windows 7 but I didn't know they are seeing YouTube videos differently, I just don't know what people are seeing with IE, zero clue.

What should I do to make compatibility with all the browser's out there?

Right now I am using my Samsung tablet android with Google Chrome browser, no Edge and no Internet Explorer (IE) in this poor baby.

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I have no problems, Bob. I'm on FireFox, but have no idea why IE wouldn't work.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I have no problems, Bob. I'm on FireFox, but have no idea why IE wouldn't work.

That's why I'm asking Mike. I can check with my PC or my laptop and reactivate IE and see what happens. But I'm not sure if that would help? I'd like to help. But my tablet is a Chrome browser toy, one of the most used browsers on the planet.
___

Test:

Browsers:

1. Google Chrome > It works.
2. Mozilla Firefox > It works.
3. Microsoft Edge (15) > It works.
4. Internet Explorer (11) > It doesn't work (Mike says, and I am verifying as I'm typing this...I need about five minutes...it doesn't work for me either!)
5. Apple Safari > ?
6. Opera > ?
7. UC Browser > ?
8. Vivaldi > ?
9. Brave > ?
10. SeaMonkey > ?
11. Pale Moon > ?

? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_browsers

* Mike, does it mean that all IE users cannot see many YouTube videos?

** IE = No good; it does not display YouTube videos. I've just checked.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, you mean that you are using Internet Explorer as your browser and all you can see are big black rectangle boxes?

I have no clue because I'm using both Edge and Chrome. I quit IE about a year ago and before that I hardly used it for about two years. The last time it was my main browser is when I was on Microsoft Windows XP edition.
Some fridnds are with Windows 7 but I didn't know they are seeing YouTube videos differently.

What should I do to make compatibility with all the browser's out there?

Right now I am using my Samsung tablet android with Google Chrome browser, no Edge and no Internet Explorer (IE) in this poor baby.

I guess I don't want to totally derail the thread, and this is a moderator issue. it's not up to me to regulate posting. but all these video's that require certain browser's to use, and whether they keep the thread going, or reduce relevance is a question. I can tell you when I see all these black boxes I want to find another forum.

nothing personal. but I'm here to read about stuff I'm interested in and interact. those posts make that more difficult for me.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 174

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I guess I don't want to totally derail the thread, and this is a moderator issue. it's not up to me to regulate posting. but all these video's that require certain browser's to use, and whether they keep the thread going, or reduce relevance is a question. I can tell you when I see all these black boxes I want to find another forum.

nothing personal. but I'm here to read about stuff I'm interested in and interact. those posts make that more difficult for me.

I don't want to derail the thread either, I don't want to create any issue, ever. You mentioned that all you see are black boxes from those YT videos. I'm trying to help you out right now. It is sad that you cannot see all the YouTube videos from all various music threads.
I took the time to return in my home, power up my computer, let it warm up (I hardly use it), and reinstall IE, just for you and others who might also use it, activate it, and confirm that indeed all the YouTube videos @ WBF are just black boxes. It has nothing to do with me, none to do with the site, but it's a browser issue from Microsoft with Internet Explorer.

Moderate what and who? What are you talking about Mike, are you blaming me for posting YouTube videos that you can't see? All the videos are related to the topic. It is not my fault if IE won't allow you to see them.

Would you like me to not post any more videos ever just because you are using IE? Would you prefer that I just disappear? Say it and I'm gone.

* I'm out of this thread for good.Thank you.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Admit to being fan of the 301--I've owned two Shindo TT Systems--both refurbished in Japan-absolutely superb in recreating the Music!

I feel the 301 though is dependant to a fair degree upon the Plinth--in this regard the Shindo reigns supreme.

The same Garrard in other plinths to my ear does not rise quite to the same heights-- while I rate the Cusworth/ Lignolab/Artisan Fidelity/Woodsong/etc 301's I've heard

none have attained the Shindo status--in spite of delivering satisfactory results IMHO:).

The only 927 listened to was in the 80's and it is indeed the benchmark of the idiom.

BruceD

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I’ve been living with my rim drive/idler for 6 years now, topped off by all things with an air bearing linear tracking arm.

I have to concur with Mike, in the final analysis, it can’t quite do the neutral invisible act as well as the best belt drives.

This in my system is somewhat ameliorated by running it w the air arm, tricked out Soundsmith Straingauge cart, and isolating it on my Stacore Advanced passive platform.

However, it is absolutely stellar with rock, fusion/electric jazz, jazz.

On classical there is a little bit of lower mids colouration or bloom, that would leave an absolute aficionado maybe a tad unconvinced.

Of course my Zus aren’t famed for classical, so I can’t totally isolate the tt’s contribution here. But I know I would have to spend big on belt drive to truly keep my idler/rim engagement levels intact while adding more linearity.

Would not those colorations be there with all music - does the 'table know about what you're playing?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
As I've perused the WBF archives and discovered a wealth of information, one thing that has stuck out to me is that there seems not to be a lot of love for idlers here. Garrard, Thorens, Lenco... Bueler? Mainly I'm curious why this might be the case, what with the stability, PRaT, and imaging capabilities of well-restored idlers being hard to beat. Obviously, they're not the latest and greatest thing, aren't hyped/memed much in the press, etc. But if the love of music is paramount....

Anyhow, I'm interested in what others think, especially if there's a notable preference away from them.

Thanks!

There certainly is love for classic idlers on WBF and quite a few owners but the subject has been fully discussed all over the net for at least a decade now and dedicated sites like LencoHeaven have left no stone unturned. AFAIK there aren't any serious current idlers out there and the few mid level ones I heard are best left to obscurity. So perhaps the reason is that there's not much left to talk about :).

david

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Probably influenced by this long and hypnotic thread https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=2o3rg94penp6d7lv3qhuv03815&topic=7793.0 I feel that a debate on idler drive intrinsic sonic qualities should include the EMT927 ...

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41276&stc=1&d=1527204950

;)

? https://audiocirc.com/2012/08/04/emt-927-r80-the-bearing-and-platter-size-matters-8/

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I don't want to derail the thread either, I don't want to create any issue, ever. You mentioned that all you see are black boxes from those YT videos. I'm trying to help you out right now. It is sad that you cannot see all the YouTube videos from all various music threads.
I took the time to return in my home, power up my computer, let it warm up (I hardly use it), and reinstall IE, just for you and others who might also use it, activate it, and confirm that indeed all the YouTube videos @ WBF are just black boxes. It has nothing to do with me, none to do with the site, but it's a browser issue from Microsoft with Internet Explorer.

Moderate what and who? What are you talking about Mike, are you blaming me for posting YouTube videos that you can't see? All the videos are related to the topic. It is not my fault if IE won't allow you to see them.

Would you like me to not post any more videos ever just because you are using IE? Would you prefer that I just disappear? Say it and I'm gone.

* I'm out of this thread for good.Thank you.

Bob,

all I said was "so maybe be a bit more discrete as to how much of that stuff is added." and that is what I meant. it's nothing personal. only that if a percentage of us just see black boxes, it would be common courtesy to maybe post fewer of them. you can post links instead of big boxes. maybe one box and the rest links. then even those of us using IE can use the links.

i'd apologize if I said anything offensive or personal, but I did not. no one is pushing you away, only asking for understanding from you about the consequence of your posts.

sigh.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Bob,

all I said was "so maybe be a bit more discrete as to how much of that stuff is added." and that is what I meant. it's nothing personal. only that if a percentage of us just see black boxes, it would be common courtesy to maybe post fewer of them. you can post links instead of big boxes. maybe one box and the rest links. then even those of us using IE can use the links.

i'd apologize if I said anything offensive or personal, but I did not. no one is pushing you away, only asking for understanding from you about the consequence of your posts.

sigh.

Mike, I got the message without explanations. And I just don't know why IE is blocking videos. I didn't Google around to find out.

I don't post big black empty boxes. But the fact that you told me; one, can you use another better browser than the old outdated IE, and two, yes, I could have posted less of them here in this thread, perhaps couple posts less. I didn't mean any arm (harm), and I certainly didn't know how terrible IE was, and that you only saw black boxes. ...Again, not my fault, and I now understand your frustration.

I'm open to positive suggestions; clear communication is key.
You did good to say that with IE you only see black boxes of all those YouTube videos; I've checked to verify and I understand now how irritating it is. I'm not sure @ 100% but I blame this old IE browser for no good support. And it's a subject of interest for you this thread, I get that too.

Mike, get Google Chrome or another good browser. Those black boxes are not an enjoyable way to browse and share online with your friends. How do you check those movie trailers some of us post?
There was a great YouTube video of Michael Fremer not too long ago about taking the stand in court and giving his expert opinion on today's music recordings, the music industry for the kids and the poor quality of heavy compressed music and without dynamics...the loudness sickness. Was that video also a black box?

Im sorry too for my previous reply; I've read your post as if I committed a crime, as if I was guilty.
Sorry about that.

Last edited:

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Get a better browser. Most people already have. Of course, it'd only be fitting if this showed up as a black box:

vNQyMBR.png

Thread: derailed.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
There certainly is love for classic idlers on WBF and quite a few owners but the subject has been fully discussed all over the net for at least a decade now and dedicated sites like LencoHeaven have left no stone unturned. AFAIK there aren't any serious current idlers out there and the few mid level ones I heard are best left to obscurity. So perhaps the reason is that there's not much left to talk about :).

david

If idlers do so much so well, why do you think there are no serious current contenders? And BTW, does the AS2000 have the PRaT and stability of a good idler? Does it absolutely require all that mass to perform at such a high level?

Thanks!

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Get a better browser. Most people already have. Of course, it'd only be fitting if this showed up as a black box:

Thread: derailed.

at work (i'm the GM of the company) we only allow IE, so that is what I use. it's the only browser carpetable with our DMS (management system).

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I use chrome but I find myself distracted by these videos all the time. They take up too much space and make us scroll too much. One post of relevant links is fine, otherwise we prefer to read other people's comments.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, I got the message without explanations. And I just don't know why IE is blocking videos. I didn't Google around to find out.

I don't post big black empty boxes. But the fact that you told me; one, can you use another better browser than the old outdated IE, and two, yes, I could have posted less of them here in this thread, perhaps couple posts less. I didn't mean any arm (harm), and I certainly didn't know how terrible IE was, and that you only saw black boxes. ...Again, not my fault, and I now understand your frustration.

I'm open to positive suggestions; clear communication is key.
You did good to say that with IE you only see black boxes of all those YouTube videos; I've checked to verify and I understand now how irritating it is. I'm not sure @ 100% but I blame this old IE browser for no good support. And it's a subject of interest for you this thread, I get that too.

Mike, get Google Chrome or another good browser. Those black boxes are not an enjoyable way to browse and share online with your friends. How do you check those movie trailers some of us post?
There was a great YouTube video of Michael Fremer not too long ago about taking the stand in court and giving his expert opinion on today's music recordings, the music industry for the kids and the poor quality of heavy compressed music and without dynamics...the loudness sickness. Was that video also a black box?

Im sorry too for my previous reply; I've read your post as if I committed a crime, as if I was guilty.
Sorry about that.

no worries Bob, let's forget it and move on. i'll deal with it. if you decide to post fewer 'boxes' and more links instead......….then good, but if nothing changes i'll get over it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I use chrome but I find myself distracted by these videos all the time. They take up too much space and make us scroll too much. One post of relevant links is fine, otherwise we prefer to read other people's comments.

I got that now from you too.
_____

What's your take on idlers versus belts.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing