Moisturizer? :D

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Heck...I would probably benefit from a facial :p

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Concur with what KeithR stated above. BTW, nice finally meeting you Keith.

This year THE Show was somewhat disappointing. I certainly am glad that I did not book days at this show. Most of the rooms were severely impacted by the very poor acoustics of the space allotted.Plus there just weren't that many rooms to begin with.
OTOH, i was pleasantly surprised by one room that I normally don't find to my taste....but this time..WOW!! That room was the Evolution Acoustics room with the mid-size EA speakers. Front end was the Wave Kinetics and a soon to be released new arm from Joel Durand. I believe it will be called the Tosca...and to me it strongly resembles the SAT arm. This room was my joint BOS with the Big YG's in the Alma suite ( great sound, but at a price). But what the EA's did for me..and for the first time, was not take my head off with top end glare. Add to that the superb analog front end ( I think Joel's new arm will easily give the SAT a major run for its money) and you have one room that shouldn't be missed.
Otherwise a show that if I had missed it wouldn't have been that upsetting. Here's hoping that next year the organizers and the industry will get their act in gear for a great S.Calif show.

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Add to that the superb analog front end ( I think Joel's new arm will easily give the SAT a major run for its money) and you have one room that shouldn't be missed.

Joel's new arm looked bullet proof - amazing construction.

Honestly, if I hadn't already been driving up from SD I would have skipped out and felt like i didn't miss much this year. Its not worth the $15 + $15 parking to park a 1/2 mile away as there isn't any on-site hotel parking and valet was full by noon.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
the last thing I'll say - the show is too far for LA people. Its 60 miles from my house - another 10-15 miles south of John Wayne even. I'm with Davey that I expect attendance to be a bit tepid although apparently yesterday morning it was crowded.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Agree with you Steve, my impression was that it wasn't that well attended yesterday. Perhaps a good thing, as IMO it was quite disappointing and would possibly have left a bad taste in more people's mouths.
BTW, Steve sorry to miss you...or was that you getting the facial and I mistook you for someone else, LOL...:p:D

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Quick post from my cellphone : yesterday was incredibly busy up until 5pm. Today was crazy busy, even before 10am. Let up a bit now (2:30pm). Way, way better than last year.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Quick post from my cellphone : yesterday was incredibly busy up until 5pm. Today was crazy busy, even before 10am. Let up a bit now (2:30pm). Way, way better than last year.
Alex, luckily I think your room greatly benefits from being in the location that is in and by the fact that you have such a large space. Last year you didn’t enjoy that benefit. Goes to show that the biggest and best can attract the crowds:cool:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Last year I had three rooms, including one of the large-ish rooms of the mezzanine of that LAX hotel. And it was pretty bad. Sunday was practically exhibitors visiting each other's rooms. Not this year.

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
Hello DaveyF

We truly appreciate the great feedback on your experience in our room! The sound was sublime and we're happy you enjoyed it as well! We are flattered with your joint BOS nod!

Thanks again!

Concur with what KeithR stated above. BTW, nice finally meeting you Keith.

This year THE Show was somewhat disappointing. I certainly am glad that I did not book days at this show. Most of the rooms were severely impacted by the very poor acoustics of the space allotted.Plus there just weren't that many rooms to begin with.
OTOH, i was pleasantly surprised by one room that I normally don't find to my taste....but this time..WOW!! That room was the Evolution Acoustics room with the mid-size EA speakers. Front end was the Wave Kinetics and a soon to be released new arm from Joel Durand. I believe it will be called the Tosca...and to me it strongly resembles the SAT arm. This room was my joint BOS with the Big YG's in the Alma suite ( great sound, but at a price). But what the EA's did for me..and for the first time, was not take my head off with top end glare. Add to that the superb analog front end ( I think Joel's new arm will easily give the SAT a major run for its money) and you have one room that shouldn't be missed.
Otherwise a show that if I had missed it wouldn't have been that upsetting. Here's hoping that next year the organizers and the industry will get their act in gear for a great S.Calif show.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing