Best W10 Roon Core set-up? Nucleus+ can't handel my library...

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
My library is 300,000 tracks and Nucleus+ is choking trying to keep up.

Roon recommends a i7 W10 setup running Roon Server for this size. I know to some of u this is bad, noisy, etc. but it it what it is.

So what is the recommended best W10, i7 setup for audio?

Last edited:

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
The i7 in the Nucleus+ is a low power, low tdp(low heat) cpu. A consumer “desktop” level i7 cpu is just in a different league performance wise. Any current “desktop level” i7 will have a very easy time running Roonserver. The tradeoff is exactly what you mentioned above, cooling fan and electrical noise. Unfortunately solutions like the MSB renderer are still not eliminating the influence of your Roonserver setup.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
When is the updated SGM coming? Time is a wasting!
And my library keeps growing!!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Don’t tell Blue58

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
You can use a decent laptop/desktop .. look at Dell precision/ lenovo thinkpad range (both are quiet or silent mostly) ... noise is not a factor as you can site the server machine and storage anywhere in the house and control via an ipad/droid tablet in the listening room...

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
You can use a decent laptop/desktop .. look at Dell precision/ lenovo thinkpad range (both are quiet or silent mostly) ... noise is not a factor as you can site the server machine and storage anywhere in the house and control via an ipad/droid tablet in the listening room...

Yes...been doing it this way for years. Time for something much better. I think the new ethernet SGM thats coming is my answer...

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Yes...been doing it this way for years. Time for something much better. I think the new ethernet SGM thats coming is my answer...

Agreed.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Emile said he could fit the JCAT Femto ethernet card in the new SGM.......isolation solved

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Small Green computer sells the sonicTransporter i7 Roon Server. It has a full i7-7700 quad core CPU.

It can handle 750k tracks no problem.

Had it built like crap and sounded the same....

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
my series 1 SGM is having zero issues handling Roon Core for my MSB Select II renderer (I switch back and forth from USB to renderer). sounds great. not sure how many tracks I have, but have 20 terabytes of music on my 30 Terabyte Synopsis NAS (and have a mirroring identical NAS in the house). I play lots of big files (dxd and quad dsd) with zero issues. it's super responsive and no glitches.

on the fence whether to do the 'evo' Mk2 SGM upgrade.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
my series 1 SGM is having zero issues handling Roon Core for my MSB Select II renderer (I switch back and forth from USB to renderer). sounds great. not sure how many tracks I have, but have 20 terabytes of music on my 30 Terabyte Synopsis NAS (and have a mirroring identical NAS in the house). I play lots of big files (dxd and quad dsd) with zero issues. it's super responsive and no glitches.

Hi Mike,
Any further feedback on renderer vs USB? I've seen your post on Audiogon. Have you reached a final conclusion yet?
Thanks,
Aziz

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Had it built like crap and sounded the same....

Can you explain that comment? Are you using that computer direct as a USB input into your DAC or just as a server on your network.

Personally, I have never experienced it being "built like crap" or "sounding the same" but I am no longer using one of their computers in my network. Now I use the MSB renderer and stream from my desktop in my office to an isolated network in my sound room with a Gobels Ethernet cable.

However, in the past I have used one of the Small Green computer with both SOTM and JCAT USB cards and thought it sounded great, until I went to an UltraRendu with an Uptone LPS-1 which I thought was better.

Just curious what your experience was and what the issues with small green computer.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA

Mike, I presume you are going from SGM through a switch or router to MSB Renderer since it does not have direct ethernet. I am curious, do you by chance know whether the Evo mk2 SGM will have a direct ethernet feature akin to Melco, Innuos and Antipodees?

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Doesn't the JCAT NET Card give u "direct ethernet" ?

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing