NHB-108 model one

luiscesar

Oct 19, 2016
Madrid. Spain
Hi LuisCesar,

thank you for your impression about driving Alexias with darTZeel electronics! Does you 108 amp has the SNCP-upgrade? Good to know that this amp can drive an Alexia. Sometimes you read different. My room is similar, a bit larger with 50 sqm. I think about purchasing by time a 108 for center channel or rear speakers (the Sophia 3 is more loudspeaker friendly).

You highlight a really interesting topic: Is it better to invest your money in electronics or speakers? Normaly you always invest in room and speaker. I think you should spend your money in the weakest link of your chain. In my case I was longtime thinking about the alternatives between a WA Alexx or darTZeel monos. Was is better? Nobody can tell you. I decided for the red and gold party. :D

Thank you! Yes It has the SNCP. (I think all models B have it)
It is not a theoretical decision, you have to hear and try (If you have the chance). If i had the chance (and the money) I should go for sure for a pair of monos and a Alexia 2.
Congrats for your big monos !!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thank you! Yes It has the SNCP. (I think all models B have it)(...)

No, as far as I remember they don't - B model preceded the SNCP. People should check before buying an used NH108.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Speaking of used, those who are looking to get the new Model Two wanting to sell their Model One ... send me a PM. :cool:

I don't know how low an impedance becomes a problem for the NHB-108, but 4 ohms shouldn't be an issue? 160W into 4 ohm is plenty for me.

redandgold

Jun 3, 2018
Thank you! Yes It has the SNCP. (I think all models B have it)
It is not a theoretical decision, you have to hear and try (If you have the chance). If i had the chance (and the money) I should go for sure for a pair of monos and a Alexia 2.
Congrats for your big monos !!

Thank you so much for your congratulations! I am really happy... I think there will not be a second hand market because the most people will keep or/and upgrade.

I follow microstrip: Most of the older Model B don't have SNCP. But good for you if you have it.

redandgold

Jun 3, 2018
Speaking of used, those who are looking to get the new Model Two wanting to sell their Model One ... send me a PM. :cool:

I don't know how low an impedance becomes a problem for the NHB-108, but 4 ohms shouldn't be an issue? 160W into 4 ohm is plenty for me.

If I am not wrong most of the speakers are 4 ohm speakers. But in reality some go deeper with impedance. Like my Alexia dips to 1,9 ohm. And this can be a problem.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Yeah, mine dip to 3.9 ohm at a minimum.

BTW, what kind of turnaround time on upgrades does Herve offer? Any word on the cost of upgrade from Model One to Model Two?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
No, as far as I remember they don't - B model preceded the SNCP. People should check before buying an used NH108.

model 'B' was started in 2004 with XLR inputs, and manual DC compensation was no longer necessary (with model A it required DC adjustment for particular speakers). the SNCP upgrade came out in 2010-2011. so build dates around there had it standard, prior you would need to check.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yeah, mine dip to 3.9 ohm at a minimum.

BTW, what kind of turnaround time on upgrades does Herve offer? Any word on the cost of upgrade from Model One to Model Two?

Don't count on having that upgrade done any time soon. He hasn't announced pricing on that particular upgrade yet, and going by what he did with the 18NS, it'll be at least a year until he does so.
That's the bad part. The good is that the 108 model one is already an amazing little amp :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing