Cartridge loading- Low Output M/C

krelldog

Apr 4, 2018
I have a Plinius Koru- Here are ADJUSTABLE LOADS-
47k ohms, 22k ohms, 1k ohms, 470 ohms, 220 ohms, 100 ohms, 47 ohms, 22 ohms

I'm about to buy an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze that recommends loading at 50-200 ohms

Will 47 ohms work? Or should I start out at 100 ohms?

I'm obviously not well versed in this...and would love all the help I can get.

Also is there any advantage to buying a phono cartridge that loads exactly where the manufacturer recommends?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
I run the Cadenza Bronze loaded at 100 ohms and would suggest you start there. You can then experiment if desired with 47 ohms or 220 ohms to see if you prefer either of those settings, but you don't have to be concerned with being slightly outside the recommended range. Congrats on the Cadenza Bronze, it's a very fine cartridge and an exceptional value in today's market!

krelldog

Apr 4, 2018
audio.bill- Thanks for the reply. Which gain setting would you use- 60db's or 66 ?

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
audio.bill- Thanks for the reply. Which gain setting would you use- 60db's or 66 ?

That can depend upon the gain of your linestage and amps as well as speaker sensitivity. With the 0.4mV output of the Cadenza Bronze I'd suggest trying 60dB to start and only raise it to 66dB if additional gain is needed to reach your desired volume with good dynamics. Experimentation is fine with such settings and determining which is ultimately best can be system dependent.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
As mentioned on Audiogon, your best approach is to always start with the stock 47K, and try to get a tone arm cable with the least capacitance that you can.

As has been discussed elsewhere on this site, the loading can adversely affect the tracking ability of the cartridge at high frequencies, as the loading is forcing the cartridge to do more work. This in turn makes the cantilever of the cartridge stiffer- hence the high frequency energy reduction!

krelldog

Apr 4, 2018
Atmasphere- Can you recommend some phono cables that have low capacitance like you mention ?

Thanks again for all your insight.

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
When you look on your Volumen knob. Good gain is when the knob is between 9.00 to 10.00 o´clock as your personal prefered volume.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Atmasphere- Can you recommend some phono cables that have low capacitance like you mention ?

Thanks again for all your insight.

If single-ended, this cable is quite good (don't be alarmed by its low price), being made of low capacitance Mogami cable:
https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/wirewin.htm

I don't know if they do balanced, but we've been making balanced phono cables with the same Mogami cable for decades.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing