Kronos reference analogue source

boonyarat

Jan 7, 2011
Bangkok , THAILAND
Even KRONOS turntable was succeed in the HIGH END market for years but now it just complete for REFERENCE ANALOGUE SOURCE . We do Strongly recommend for all KRONOS's owner, as you never know exactly how the true KRONOS sound until this day :):):)

Attachments

• IMG_1360.jpg
    IMG_1360.jpg
    785.8 KB · Views: 486
  • fullsizeoutput_1564.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_1564.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 461
  • fullsizeoutput_153d.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_153d.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_1311.jpg
    IMG_1311.jpg
    732.4 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_1306.jpg
    IMG_1306.jpg
    561.6 KB · Views: 464

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What are the technical details of the Kronos phono stage?

Why do you believe this phono stage is better for the Kronos turntable than other companies’ phono stages?

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
I did owned the Kronos Pro for 6 months and i have few friends still owning it and for me it is most popular and overrated Highend TT.
All the Praise and good reviews i have read i couldn't hear back..

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I did owned the Kronos Pro for 6 months and i have few friends still owning it and for me it is most popular and overrated Highend TT.
All the Praise and good reviews i have read i couldn't hear back..

So you don't like it?

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I think DDK pointed out that different turntables have different sound qualities , these may not appeal to a particular listener

Also dialling in a turntable to a system can take some effort

I watched Lois dial in his turntable and get wonderful sound from a very modest system

We then went to a system costing 10 times as much, and it took a lot of effort , and eventually we had to change some parameters against what we though would work best to get it to sing, before that the system sounded very ordinary

In the end it’s all a matter of taste,

I don’t own a Kronos, but have spent a lot of time listening to them in four different systems, and two with Lois, that he set up

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I think DDK pointed out that different turntables have different sound qualities , these may not appeal to a particular listener

Also dialling in a turntable to a system can take some effort

I watched Lois dial in his turntable and get wonderful sound from a very modest system

We then went to a system costing 10 times as much, and it took a lot of effort , and eventually we had to change some parameters against what we though would work best to get it to sing, before that the system sounded very ordinary

In the end it’s all a matter of taste,

I don’t own a Kronos, but have spent a lot of time listening to them in four different systems, and two with Lois, that he set up

Agreed it takes work. Agreed it is not always what you think. Wondering, however, what adjustments you are referring to when you say "had to change some parameters against what we though would work best to get it to sing, before that the system sounded very ordinary". Just curious...

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Agreed it takes work. Agreed it is not always what you think. Wondering, however, what adjustments you are referring to when you say "had to change some parameters against what we though would work best to get it to sing, before that the system sounded very ordinary". Just curious...

We had two phonos an Io Aesthetix and Soulution 755

Lois pretty much always uses the same cartridge(ZYX) and was somewhat insistent on the exact loading he wanted, but in the Soulution which he preferred to the Io( it was an all Soulution system other than the Io) the loading he wanted did not sound good, we eventually unloaded it a lot, to get it to get sound good. This surprising him quite a lot.

SMKL

Feb 5, 2018
Even KRONOS turntable was succeed in the HIGH END market for years but now it just complete for REFERENCE ANALOGUE SOURCE . We do Strongly recommend for all KRONOS's owner, as you never know exactly how the true KRONOS sound until this day :):):)

From the rear panel, this has the flexibility to connect to two tonearms?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Half of all turntable preference is because of the error in belief that the platter can be naked without negative consequences. People are choosing which negative consequence they like the most. Tastes will vary widely on the character from them. And the whole stereo is tuned to that choice often in small parts.

boonyarat

Jan 7, 2011
Bangkok , THAILAND
Ready enjoy listening and have fun together. The new Reference Tube Phono from KRONOS sound very very good as we never heard before and we know exactly it's perfect with KRONOS ANALOGUE SYSTEM for sure , strongly recommend :):):)

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_15d2.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_15d2.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 321
  • fullsizeoutput_15d1.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_15d1.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 323
  • fullsizeoutput_15da.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_15da.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 327
  • fullsizeoutput_15d6.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_15d6.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 321

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas
Half of all turntable preference is because of the error in belief that the platter can be naked without negative consequences. People are choosing which negative consequence they like the most. Tastes will vary widely on the character from them. And the whole stereo is tuned to that choice often in small parts.

What do you mean by naked platter and negative consequences? Are you meaning that a mat is necessary in order to avoid bad sound?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
What do you mean by naked platter and negative consequences? Are you meaning that a mat is necessary in order to avoid bad sound?

Maybe not bad sound, but characterized sound, yes. The stylus generates it's own SPL that plays down through the vinyl. If that sound reflects, it has an affect on the overall sound. Putting a ring and clamp on it could reduce the affect some, but I personally have thought that perhaps too much pressure on vinyl can have negative effects. I need to test that more. The TechDAS uses suction which is similar to what a ring and clamp would do for coupling the record to the table and lowering all of the frequencies that are trying to pass through the vinyl.

So unlike most around here, I do prefer a mat of materials that absorb instead of reflect. My other criteria is that the LP won't slip. I don't use weights or anything to keep mine in place, and as above am unsure if I think they're a benefit.

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas
Maybe not bad sound, but characterized sound, yes. The stylus generates it's own SPL that plays down through the vinyl. If that sound reflects, it has an affect on the overall sound. Putting a ring and clamp on it could reduce the affect some, but I personally have thought that perhaps too much pressure on vinyl can have negative effects. I need to test that more. The TechDAS uses suction which is similar to what a ring and clamp would do for coupling the record to the table and lowering all of the frequencies that are trying to pass through the vinyl.

So unlike most around here, I do prefer a mat of materials that absorb instead of reflect. My other criteria is that the LP won't slip. I don't use weights or anything to keep mine in place, and as above am unsure if I think they're a benefit.

Very interesting. Might I ask what mat you use, or what type of mats you prefer?

I know many people seem to like the Micro Seiki type mats, but I'm assuming you do not.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Very interesting. Might I ask what mat you use, or what type of mats you prefer?

I know many people seem to like the Micro Seiki type mats, but I'm assuming you do not.

Currently I'm using a double system. It's a somewhat thick rubber one from JVC (5-6mm but not solid), and a layer of cork on top. The rubber prevents the cork from moving, but perhaps has other attributes that help. My stand isn't as weighted as would be preferred, so the rubber may benefit me more than others. I've played around with felt and a Herbies in the mix with cork and rubber mats from other tables. The Herbies was thick enough to fully decouple according to the website. No other combination has worked right for me besides the cork on top of rubber. By comparison the Herbies that is like $70 or so, sounds awful, but it beat felt/bare metal.

I've heard good things about leather, and Jack on here likes a carbofiber one that is mean to turn the acoustic energy into heat (I think he carefully applies double sided tape so it won't slip, very important no slipping).

You could mimic me with either this new mat or maybe this sony one (I looked at all of eBay, didn't find my exact one), and finish it with a cork top (mine is like 3mm or so, not very thick). My cork mat is trimmed back so the edge of the lp that's slightly thick isn't on it.

My whole point of playing with different stuff was to find something that could absorb the acoustic energy on the underside without any slipping. It just so happened that a decoupling element was still needed as far as I can tell.

boonyarat

Jan 7, 2011
Bangkok , THAILAND
My new setup with KRONOS ANALOGUE SYSTEM :)

Attachments

• IMG_1842.jpg
    IMG_1842.jpg
    907.8 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1840 (1).jpg
    IMG_1840 (1).jpg
    987.2 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_1839.jpg
    IMG_1839.jpg
    932.4 KB · Views: 170

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Currently I'm using a double system. It's a somewhat thick rubber one from JVC (5-6mm but not solid), and a layer of cork on top. The rubber prevents the cork from moving, but perhaps has other attributes that help. My stand isn't as weighted as would be preferred, so the rubber may benefit me more than others. I've played around with felt and a Herbies in the mix with cork and rubber mats from other tables. The Herbies was thick enough to fully decouple according to the website. No other combination has worked right for me besides the cork on top of rubber. By comparison the Herbies that is like $70 or so, sounds awful, but it beat felt/bare metal.

I've heard good things about leather, and Jack on here likes a carbofiber one that is mean to turn the acoustic energy into heat (I think he carefully applies double sided tape so it won't slip, very important no slipping).

You could mimic me with either this new mat or maybe this sony one (I looked at all of eBay, didn't find my exact one), and finish it with a cork top (mine is like 3mm or so, not very thick). My cork mat is trimmed back so the edge of the lp that's slightly thick isn't on it.

My whole point of playing with different stuff was to find something that could absorb the acoustic energy on the underside without any slipping. It just so happened that a decoupling element was still needed as far as I can tell.

Micro Seiki CU-180. Copper turntable platter mat - works a treat and @ 1.8kg's will never slip.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing