Munich High-End 2018 Ron Report: Horn Loudspeaker Report

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
thanks Ron!

it appears if I decide to pursue horns at some point, a visit to Munich would be mandatory. although in the States, AG and Cessaro are really the only 2 options (and both only have 1 dealer iirc)

You would be better served with an EU tour outside of the Munich show

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
You are welcome, Keith!

For horns, you and Jeff T would love the Tune Audio Avaton, I would be willing to bet!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
And thanks to everyone else for their comments on my horn report. Obviously, I have heard these systems mainly only at shows, so that puts a cloud of unreliability over everything. On the other hand different preferences and different perceptions is what makes this hobby subjective!

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Horns are my cup of tea.
Living Voice is too expensive, price/ quality ratio is important to me, audio is only a hobby.
I might be happy with AG’s, Cessaro, Horns Universum , Acapellas - everyone may adjust them with amplifiers and cabling to personnal taste.
I did not hear Tune Audio, Odeon nor Aries Cerat though. I am sure I could be happy with them as well.
Jazz and classical is approx 80% of my music selection, imho horns are best speakers for big living rooms with difficult accoustics, which is my case.

Thank you Ron for interesting report.

Last edited:

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Thank you for the report Ron. With the plan to do the LAAS I didn't make plans to go to Munich and missed out on a lot of systems and gear that I wanted to hear including the Apolyte. Next year though....

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
We greatly appreciate your reports, Ron! Very nicely done and also kudos for the photos

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Horns are my cup of tea.
Living Voice is too expensive, price/ quality ratio is important to me, audio is only a hobby.
I might be happy with AG’s, Cessaro, Horns Universum , Acapellas - everyone may adjust them with amplifiers and cabling to personnal taste.
I did not hear Tune Audio, Odeon nor Aries Cerat though. I am sure I could be happy with them as well.
Jazz and classical is approx 80% of my music selection, imho horns are best speakers for big living rooms with difficult accoustics, which is my case.

Thank you Ron for interesting report.

Saw your comments and it is like De’javu.

Tang:)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I heard the Avatons last year at Munich. On the Friday I was underwhelmed, but on the Saturday they were my favourite speakers of the show (along with the Aries Cerat).

I doubt you've heard the Anima at its best. Having heard both the Avatons and Animas, they clearly share a 'house sound'. The retail price of the Anima is a fraction of that of the Avaton - I reckon you get a lot of speaker for your money.

Mani.

The big open box of the Avaton seems uniquely able to project an open, planar-like, sound.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Funny how we all have very different impressions of the same setups :)

The Tune Audio was the same model as displayed last year, but while I enjoyed it quite a bit last year, this year was so-so. Might've been the amp, since last year they had the big Trafomatic amps, with a turntable, etc.

I actually preferred the big AG room (with their amps) than the one with tube amps, that was all midrange.

My pick for 2nd best horn after the AG was the Odeon with the NAT Magma amps. I didn't listen to digital, vinyl only every time I was there, but it was really good, nuanced, with the bass being just a touch "behind" the rest. But still very, very enjoyable, which is far from what I could say of the other horn systems. Some, like that funky chinese thing shoehorned into a small cabinet on the ground floor, as well as the back-loaded Pnoe, were truly puzzling...

Yep; I went bonkers over the Avaton -- and that system did not even have the advantage of vinyl to help it.

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
"On my first visit to the TuneAudio room, their 82" high, Avaton hornspeaker (220,000 Euros/pair) made a solo piano appear full-sized (or larger) and full-density between its towering, 82" deep rectangular horns. I was listening with David Chesky, to a recording made by David Chesky, of a piano played by David Chesky; and we were both looking at each other, shaking our heads. When it was over, we both agreed, this was closest any loudspeaker ever got to reproducing the density and presence of a real piano. I left the room in tears from the experience."

https://www.stereophile.com/content/more-munich-herb-reichert

Mani.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think they might’ve been in the room when I was there. When I first entered the room I heard piano playing, and as I sat down and listened I thought the piano was exactly how Herb described it: full and rich and dense and real; like there was an instrument in the room.

Herb first believed “it was the best hornspeaker I had ever heard.”

(Now I feel like breaking my arm patting myself on the back.:D)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
"On my first visit to the TuneAudio room, their 82" high, Avaton hornspeaker (220,000 Euros/pair) made a solo piano appear full-sized (or larger) and full-density between its towering, 82" deep rectangular horns. I was listening with David Chesky, to a recording made by David Chesky, of a piano played by David Chesky; and we were both looking at each other, shaking our heads. When it was over, we both agreed, this was closest any loudspeaker ever got to reproducing the density and presence of a real piano. I left the room in tears from the experience."

https://www.stereophile.com/content/more-munich-herb-reichert

Mani.

"After I left, I texted several friends and told them to go there now and listen carefully. I said it was the best hornspeaker I had ever heard. Later, when I asked them what they thought: none of them were as impressed as David and me"

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/more-munich-herb-reichert#khjsR7ZUjppiY1eo.99

It is the first time I read something from Herb Reichert, but listening close to the person who played and recorded is surely a very strong bias ...

It is surely one of the problems of shows - some designers and demonstrators are enthusiastic and persuasive. It is not easy to make judgments in such company. Collective auditions are a real danger!

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I think they might’ve been in the room when I was there. When I first entered the room I heard piano playing, and as I sat down and listened I thought the piano was exactly how Herb described it: full and rich and dense and real; like there was an instrument in the room.

Herb first believed “it was the best hornspeaker I had ever heard.”

(Now I feel like breaking my arm patting myself on the back.:D)

Hi Ron,

Any consideration to getting these instead of the Pendragons?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
"After I left, I texted several friends and told them to go there now and listen carefully. I said it was the best hornspeaker I had ever heard. Later, when I asked them what they thought: none of them were as impressed as David and me"

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/more-munich-herb-reichert#khjsR7ZUjppiY1eo.99

It is the first time I read something from Herb Reichert, but listening close to the person who played and recorded is surely a very strong bias ...

It is surely one of the problems of shows - some designers and demonstrators are enthusiastic and persuasive. It is not easy to make judgments in such company. Collective auditions are a real danger!

Did you go to the TuneAudio room last week in Munich High-End?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Did you go to the TuneAudio room last week in Munich High-End?

No, I was not at Munich. I must say that I am enjoying shows each time less. Currently I go there mainly for the social aspect - meeting old friends.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
No, I was not at Munich. I must say that I am enjoying shows each time less. Currently I go there mainly for the social aspect - meeting old friends.

I didn’t think so.

How about enjoying the reports instead of trying to figure out a way to pick almost everything apart from a distance?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I didn’t think so.

How about enjoying the reports instead of trying to figure out a way to pick almost everything apart from a distance?

+1

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I didn’t think so.

I have really enjoyed some reports, including yours, and acknowledged them. But IMHO we are here to comment on them, not only to thank and glorify the posters.

IMHO the part of the sentence I added was very relevant to debates concerning objection that other posters had expressed about show evaluation.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing