Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Letīs not forget Jonathan Horwich of International Phonograph

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    Oh, thank you!

Ooh! What modification are you making?
    You are so predictable . I wrote just to see if you ask...hehehe.
    No mod my dear Ron. Just sent it in for a check up.

Tang

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    You are a tease!
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Air Tight Opus-1; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse; line stage: VTL TL-7.5 Series III; amplifier: VTL Siegfried Series II; loudspeaker: Gryphon Pendragon; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Vintage Audio Nothing racks, Herzan TS-140/Taiko Tana for Io, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Torus AVR60BAL; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; acoustic treatment: ASC IsoThermal Tube Traps, Lumitex drapes

Playing Jonathan’s newest release right now in fact, and it’s sounding great!

Greg Ward Trio - At Pro Musica
    International Phonograph 15 ips 2-track reel tape

Name:  BD3914BC-ECF6-4E8F-9EA8-1408BE7373B6.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  149.3 KB
    TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20, 3030; Technics 1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
    VINYL: VPI ScoutMaster/Benz LP-S MR/EAR 834P; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
    SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
    AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Dear Skylab,

Do you also have Albert Daley and Stan Getz? I wonder how it is.

Kind regards,
    Tang

I just listened to both tapes. Both are terrific, but I'd rank Daley/Getz a hair above the Ward Trio. Part of it is that the jazz is more mainstream, so more within my wheelhouse (although the Ward Trio isn't that avant-garde), but on the cuts where Getz is playing, it's like having him standing about 8' away from me. The naturalness of the tenor sax sound is simply uncanny. And Daley's piano solos are sublime. I go to a lot of small-ensemble jazz performances, and when I put this tape on, it was like I'm sitting in the first row of the Blue Note listening to these guys. Pour myself a beer, and just sit back and listen . . .

John C.

Quote Originally Posted by jdcolombo View Post
    I just listened to both tapes. Both are terrific, but I'd rank Daley/Getz a hair above the Ward Trio. Part of it is that the jazz is more mainstream, so more within my wheelhouse (although the Ward Trio isn't that avant-garde), but on the cuts where Getz is playing, it's like having him standing about 8' away from me. The naturalness of the tenor sax sound is simply uncanny. And Daley's piano solos are sublime. I go to a lot of small-ensemble jazz performances, and when I put this tape on, it was like I'm sitting in the first row of the Blue Note listening to these guys. Pour myself a beer, and just sit back and listen . . .

John C.
    Thank you John C. I think we share some common musical preferences. I read what you recommended and commented in another thread and very much agree with all tapes you recommended except for one jazz tape with amplified guitar that Jonathan recommended me. Not the problem with sonic but I just don’t like amplified instruments. IPI jazz tapes are very very they are here in the room. The only IPI tape that transport me to the venue is the Obe And Orchestra. While all Edward Pong’s tape are all “you are there.”

Kind regards,
    Tang

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Dear Skylab,

Do you also have Albert Daley and Stan Getz? I wonder how it is.

Kind regards,
    Tang
    Yes, I did just finish listening to this one, also terrific!!

Quote Originally Posted by jdcolombo View Post

John C.
    I agree with this totally.

Both tapes are unbelievably realistic sounding saxophone recordings.
    TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20, 3030; Technics 1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
    VINYL: VPI ScoutMaster/Benz LP-S MR/EAR 834P; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
    SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
    AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123