My favorite rooms at Munich (High end and Hifi Deluxe)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Dammit morricab i was Just about to buy a Horn , now you ruined it.
Jokes aside is it that difficult ?
NO off course not , for these prices you might expect a average inroom response graph added as info , that's at least reasonable, asking 10 s OR 100 thousands?
3 k Will get you Clio measurement Gear incl calibrated mike , duh.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Jasbirnandra, Ypsilon cdt & dac made for me one of the sounds of the show in 2016, running the Dohermann Helix tt very very close.

It remains IMHO one of the few digital front ends that really competes w vinyl where it matters most ie timbre, tone density and texture.

Sorry I can’t report on the new dac.

But Ypsilon remains for me a desert island/lottery win digital front end.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I’m getting the strong impression that there weren’t too many standouts at Munich, plenty of underachievers, and as usual, pricing based on the burgeoning uber rich in Asia and not the general rate of inflation in the West.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
You need also people who can built good system s. Give good demo's, not all are gifted.
Doesnt mean the Gear is all bad

True and why I pointed out systems generally rather than speakers or amps. In a short session without gear swapping I can't always tell why a system sounds good or bad

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I’m getting the strong impression that there weren’t too many standouts at Munich, plenty of underachievers, and as usual, pricing based on the burgeoning uber rich in Asia and not the general rate of inflation in the West.

Curiously I am not getting this idea from what I read elsewhere. Even in WBF my weighting filter manages to keep me more optimistic than you. Without it I would be persuaded that WBF is becoming the weeping place of the high-end audio. :)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I cant tell either always, problem with most audiobusineses, there ain't much swapping going on .
One business doesn't swap with another lol

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I forgot one room that I would like to add to my list. Boenicke audio. Sven was there with his larger models and they were sounding as musical as ever. Not the last word in anything except delivery of basically sonically correct music.

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Who is Lee? I liked the big ones on the outside a lot...very promising I thought. The KR room was good but didn't leave a really strong impression on me for some reason. I liked two years ago with the RD Acoustics horns and the Foxtex driver (or Voxativ but the Foxtex had better bass)... a poor man's Pnoe ;)

That would be me, myself and Christoph had a little tour round the horn based systems and I introduced him to some nice tunes

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
That would be me, myself and Christoph had a little tour round the horn based systems and I introduced him to some nice tunes

Cool. So, you liked the Supravox room as well then?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Keith, if Cessaro SQ at shows anything to go by, you’re better off hearing them at a dealer.

I'd be amazed if anything could rescue them. I've never liked them, any model, ever, at Munich. So my experience is simply 4 visits to Munich each time hearing whatever they have there. They never do it for me.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I'd be amazed if anything could rescue them. I've never liked them, any model, ever, at Munich. So my experience is simply 4 visits to Munich each time hearing whatever they have there. They never do it for me.

Well, it SOUNDS like Cessaro is turning the bass way down on their big horns for fear of boom but I would prefer that to the oversized table radio sound that came out of the Zetas. The cognitie dissonance of having no bass from speakers the size of a truck is hard to get past.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Well, it SOUNDS like Cessaro is turning the bass way down on their big horns for fear of boom but I would prefer that to the oversized table radio sound that came out of the Zetas. The cognitie dissonance of having no bass from speakers the size of a truck is hard to get past.

+1

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

+1

That is what Ralph told audioquattr he (Ralph) is doing.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey, he gets at least 6 orders every Munich.
I guess some guys love to spend €x00,000s on spkrs they don’t hear any bass from .

Last edited:

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Cool. So, you liked the Supravox room as well then?

I did mate thought it sounded great for the very modest amount of money that it would cost compared to some of the rooms at Munich

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing