My new BMW M2

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ouch sorry to hear, good to know you are fine. Insurance can cover the damage?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Keith, that's no good. Glad your'e ok...that's the main thing. Looking at the photo of the right rear wheel, I don't see how there cannot be frame damage? Right rocker panel also looks severely impacted...not good either. Maybe a second opinion?

With unibody car construction, its apparently much more difficult to have frame damage these days. A new rear axle and right suspension with quarter panel is the bulk of the repair.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Ouch sorry to hear, good to know you are fine. Insurance can cover the damage?

of course - and if its an uninsured motorist, there isn't even a deductible. with the characteristics of the hit and run, doubt they will find any insurance but will be interesting to see the police report.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
So sorry to see this, Keith! I am glad you are okay!

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
It's very nice to see that you got out of that accident.

What's your driving setup ?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
With unibody car construction, its apparently much more difficult to have frame damage these days. A new rear axle and right suspension with quarter panel is the bulk of the repair.

That is true, nonetheless,I would have somebody look under the body and still determine the specs, if that hasn't been done already.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
That is true, nonetheless,I would have somebody look under the body and still determine the specs, if that hasn't been done already.

Ya, they basically have taken apart the entire back of the car. The good thing about sub-assemblies is repairing an older car - the bad part is repairing a new one!

I'm using Caliber Collision in Santa Monica, BMW certified and lifetime guarantee. I went into the shop to chat with them and get a feeling about what they do and they answered all of my questions (so far). There is a specific apparatus that is used in BMW panel replacement, etc. They've worked on numerous M cars including some M2s.

I probably will ask to see the undercarriage when I pick up the car to get a handle on the suspension replacement and will take a "car guy" friend along with to judge the work. I just added up the right, rear suspension cost and parts alone is 6k lol. Gotta love M cars.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
It's right to questions all of this... No one wants a brand new car with some shitty quirks for the next 100k miles.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Glad you're ok... that's the important part!

i got into my 1st ever accident about 2 years ago, I was t-boned by a distracted woman running a red light. Hit my front wheel, there was frame damage so it was totaled. I was told it would be repaired first, but I talked to the agent and said we'd need to figure out the depreciated value of the car due to collision, the dealer told me trade-in would not be possible anymore and if they did they'd give me FAR less than standard value for it. The next day someone else from my insurance called and told me they would total the car.

edit: I got hit with a RAV4 going about 35 mph and it caused an instant of lost consciousness and it took me about 15 minutes to regain my normal though processes. It wasn't even enough to set off airbags. I feel for folks who got in severe impacts, I can only imagine how difficult and painful it could be.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Glad you're ok... that's the important part!

i got into my 1st ever accident about 2 years ago, I was t-boned by a distracted woman running a red light. Hit my front wheel, there was frame damage so it was totaled. I was told it would be repaired first, but I talked to the agent and said we'd need to figure out the depreciated value of the car due to collision, the dealer told me trade-in would not be possible anymore and if they did they'd give me FAR less than standard value for it. The next day someone else from my insurance called and told me they would total the car.

Ya, I asked my shop something similar as my car was worth 55k and only 6 weeks old - was told it would probably take 40k in repairs to total it vs. the 18k now.

It's new expensive car, bad luck scenario.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Ya, I asked my shop something similar as my car was worth 55k and only 6 weeks old - was told it would probably take 40k in repairs to total it vs. the 18k now.

It's new expensive car, bad luck scenario.

Yeah... mine was about $16k to repair a car worth $28k so it's easier for them to just total it. Salvage value with intact airbags is probably decent.

I'd consider consulting with a lawyer on the depreciated value aspect, insurance will often try to not compensate for this at all, and if they do it's often not a fair deal for the vehicle owner. However, there is precedent for insurance being responsible for this depreciated value. Something like a repair + a check for $10k or so might be possible...

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Ya, they basically have taken apart the entire back of the car. The good thing about sub-assemblies is repairing an older car - the bad part is repairing a new one!

I'm using Caliber Collision in Santa Monica, BMW certified and lifetime guarantee. I went into the shop to chat with them and get a feeling about what they do and they answered all of my questions (so far). There is a specific apparatus that is used in BMW panel replacement, etc. They've worked on numerous M cars including some M2s.

I probably will ask to see the undercarriage when I pick up the car to get a handle on the suspension replacement and will take a "car guy" friend along with to judge the work. I just added up the right, rear suspension cost and parts alone is 6k lol. Gotta love M cars.

The important thing is that the car will have the same ability to track as when new. I had a friend who went through something similar, unfortunately the car would eat tires because it could never be set up for alignment with the precision that is necessary. Taking someone knowledgeable with you and checking on the under carriage is a great idea. Caliber is big enough to have a frame jig if it is needed. But my experience is that once the car is in need of a jig, it really isn't ever quite the same. Like Dave C suggested, I would also talk to someone about the loss of value due to the incident.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I'd be there in a minute if I lived in LA. I feel infuriated just imagining my new car not being 100%.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Man I'm glad your ok, this sucks to be sure. Get an attorney or at least talk to one, you will have to actively pursue a diminished value claim. It sucks but it is a reality. Was the other vehicle a stolen car?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Man I'm glad your ok, this sucks to be sure. Get an attorney or at least talk to one, you will have to actively pursue a diminished value claim. It sucks but it is a reality. Was the other vehicle a stolen car?

Diminished value isn’t gonna apply on a (likely) uninsured hit and run. Cops ran the plates and stolen vehicle didn’t come up.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Circumstance like this can suck for sure, especially when you clearly put value in buying a lovely car like this but you are right, you are OK and in the end that is all that really counts. Sorry to hear of this challenge but nice you came through it in one piece.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
That's unfortunate and glad you didn't get hurt...too bad they didn't total it. You will be hurt on resale compared to the same car, condition, mileage not in an accident.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Sorry to hear this, glad you are ok.
T-boning seems to be a regular occurrence in the US with your reliance on traffic lights. Roundabouts are safer and permit better traffic flow

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sorry to hear this, glad you are ok.
T-boning seems to be a regular occurrence in the US with your reliance on traffic lights. Roundabouts are safer and permit better traffic flow

Roundabouts are free market. Traffic lights are regulations :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing