Munich High-End 2018 Ron Report: NAT Magma New SE

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Yes Nico helped establish the brand in the market and converted cat, lamm, and VTL users from what I understand. He himself owned the Siegfried before moving to Nat. I have been to his place.

I think he even owned 5 siegfrieds! He’s still using the magnetostat / magma’s.

When did you visit him? Was he still using Respons speakers or his rebuild Genesis?

I can't make out from W&W's site what else he stocks? What speakers does he use the Nats on?

His inventory changes to fast to keep an up to date website.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The rebuilt genesis around three years ago

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, the good news is that unlike you and me, he doesn’t need to demonstrate his audio virility by posting all the time.
His approval of Nat means a lot to me, and he’s backing up what I love about the sound.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You miss the point. You said you wouldn't name somebody and then proceeded to describe in enough detail so anyone would know who he was. Then might as well name

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, I used to feel compelled to engage with you.
Not anymore, have a nice day.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
If I’m not mistaken, Bernd Bold has had custom transformers made for CAT amps which were fitted by Ken, much quieter on 50Hz.

Still have the Audio Aero Prestige monos?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I can't make out from W&W's site what else he stocks? What speakers does he use the Nats on?

He was selling big Ushers but maninly I think whatever he has in the shop. I have been to this shop...it is FULL of gear.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I think he even owned 5 siegfrieds! He’s still using the magnetostat / magma’s.

When did you visit him? Was he still using Respons speakers or his rebuild Genesis?

His inventory changes to fast to keep an up to date website.

I am somehow doubtful that the Magma is the best sounding NAT. How does the linearity of this tube compare to say a 211 or a GM70?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Still have the Audio Aero Prestige monos?

No, I sold them to a friend together with the Audio Acoustics Sapphire speakers, replacing his Focal Utopia speakers and CAT monoblocks, somewhat regretfully as it was a remarkable combination. I ran 2 systems for a while but got tired of the complexity / recalibration involved.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I am somehow doubtful that the Magma is the best sounding NAT. How does the linearity of this tube compare to say a 211 or a GM70?

I dont know, NAT is very good value for performance, I didnt feel the transmitters to be up to the level of the prestiges though if that is of any help. The prestiges were more neutral, threw a significantly larger stage, and imho had superior rendering of texture. Their predecessors, the Audio Sculpture Ultima’s ran at even higher voltages, 1.5 times the rated power output, and are tube rectified. There’s a pair up for sale but the refurbish cost will be considerable. I do have spare Sic Safco high voltage capacitors which I had to order a bunch from as they’re custom order only so I am tempted from time to time to pick these up :rolleyes:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Taiko, for what it’s worth, I remain a little unconvinced by the Transmitters. I’ve heard them twice now on dynamic spkrs and ribbons, and feel they lack a little in texture compared to my Nat SE2SEs. I believe this may be something to do w them being SETetrodes as opposed to SETriodes. My SE2SEs are triodes as are the Magmas.
The Transmitters felt a bit “glassy”, lacking in texture and harmonic development. OTOH, they have stonking bass and dynamics in excess of my triodes.
I just feel in the final analysis they don’t quite have that triode magic.
Now the Magmas being pure SETriodes may well fuse the intimate magic of my SE2SEs with the greater pace of the Transmitters into a very compelling package.
The new owner who has them is absolutely bowled over by them despite some obvious shortcomings, and he has vast experience of what’s out there.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Taiko, for what it’s worth, I remain a little unconvinced by the Transmitters. I’ve heard them twice now on dynamic spkrs and ribbons, and feel they lack a little in texture compared to my Nat SE2SEs. I believe this may be something to do w them being SETetrodes as opposed to SETriodes. My SE2SEs are triodes as are the Magmas.
The Transmitters felt a bit “glassy”, lacking in texture and harmonic development. OTOH, they have stonking bass and dynamics in excess of my triodes.
I just feel in the final analysis they don’t quite have that triode magic.
Now the Magmas being pure SETriodes may well fuse the intimate magic of my SE2SEs with the greater pace of the Transmitters into a very compelling package.
The new owner who has them is absolutely bowled over by them despite some obvious shortcomings, and he has vast experience of what’s out there.

Could absolutely be the tubes used. The Prestiges mentioned used 6sn7, 211 and 813 tubes. Rolling the 211’s fully delivers what you would expect from doing that. I agree on the Transmitters bass, pretty impressive for a SE design.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The current newest owner of Magmas has heard the lot including his absolutely number one Thomas Mayer 46 tubes amps.
For him, nothing has come remotely close to these.
But the Magmas with their high current design absolutely has made the best fist of competing w the Mayers.
By all accounts the Magmas just come up short on delicacy and inner beauty/transparency, but totally convince re dynamics, slam.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .
By all accounts the Magmas just come up short on delicacy and inner beauty/transparency, but totally convince re dynamics, slam.

Is this remotely true? Have you heard them yourself? Who are all these accounters?

A.J. Conti had both Transmitters and Magma News and he told me that overall he preferred Magma New. I do not know exactly what he meant by “overall.”

I would not at all assume Magma New SE is short on delicacy and inner beauty/transparency.

I went to the room on Sunday to meet Dejan in person but he left the day before.

Your description is how detractors of solid-state amps describe them.

If I did not fear blow-up risk I would have selected Magma New SEs over single-tube 833 SET amps.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron, no ambiguity here. This listener has extremely particular tastes, and for him, the 46 tube is King Of The Hill, Thomas Mayer 46 monos are Emperor Of The Known Universe.
So for him to even give the Magma house room is a major victory for Nat, and then to acquire another pr, the SE, tells you all you need to know.
That the Magma is a very special amp indeed.
His horns are pushing 120dB efficient, yet really benefit from high current.
So to have the alternatives of 2W/ch 46 tubes and 170W/ch GM1000 gives him amazingly different perspectives on the music.
One, the ultimate open window transparency and delicacy, the other, a lot of this plus more verve, drive and grunt, giving very little away to the former.
But there is a difference, and it can be heard.
I have a chance v soon to visit this chap and hear the comparison myself.
But please don’t misinterpret my comments as some kind of “Magmas are like SS” comment, nothing could be further from the truth.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Okay, Marc! :eek:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron, the joys of being seperated by thousands of miles and the vagaries of social media inflections .
My visit is really highly anticipated by me.
I’m going to hear a truly SOTA tt front end, an amazing comparison of two stellar tube amps, and pretty much a one of a kind full range 20Hz-50kHz horns system.
I’ll really be able to give you the measure of the Magmas after this visit (maybe even the SE version which the host is acquiring too).
For me to take the day off work to go to a demo is unusual, but this one I can’t miss.
I suspect the choice of Magmas or more delicate 46 tube amps would come down as much to musical preferences as anything else.
A diet of Taverner, Britten, Bach, Blue Note would indicate 46 tubes.
A diet of Rush, London Grammar, Free, Cream, electric Miles D, Coltrane, and some classical, would indicate Magmas.
It’ll be interesting to see if my preconceptions are challenged.
One thing I won’t conclude is that anything sounds remotely SS.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing