Which is Better Sound From High Power: Single Tube SET or Parallel Tube SET?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Have you seen Kronzilla monos in person?
I had the DM monos for review many years ago. Cool looking tubes :cool:. Christoph has the SX and it is a fine amp. It is a stereo amp and not mono.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Yes, I think for the 95db or so speaker the more powerful SX would work better.
I would consider the KR va680 though. Apparently, it is a 10 watt more powerful SX but supposed be significantly better sounding. Never heard it myself though.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
My Nat SE2SE are doubled up 211 tubes. 70W/ch apparently conservatively rated, said to be closer to 90W. Way better controls my Zus, w truly saturated tone in an 800 sq ft/5500 cub ft room.

Reactions: morricab

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I never got the SET thing , i never owned a lamm, so who knows.
What i do believe is that in the right speaker amp match tubes are a faster amplyfing device .
From all the SS i ve owned id say the main factor is is that they are slower.
Doesn't always is a bad thing on certain music it may sound more real then tubes due to is relaxter vibe

SETs are much faster than SS when matched correctly. 2a3, 46 and the likes are tough to beat for speed. See in Tang's videos how fast the violin variations are

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Thats why i wanna try the lamm 18 watts set at one time , or the ML 3 s and make Micro happy ( if he hasnt already sold them :) by then).
I ve owned a very good 300 B for a couple of years ,the Zanden 7000 .
Convergent JL 2 sign is faster , faster is determined in a large part by the power supply not so much the tubes imo.
And its hard to beat convergent in that area , ive never seen a tube amp with that big a powersupply / powerbank.
Instant power means instant dynamics.

Ps i would also like to have the Lamm sets as a speaker selling point off course , there aint that much dynamic speakers that will sound good with them i reckon .
Lamm is often described as natural , which is off course the most important design goal .

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thats why i wanna try the lamm 18 watts set at one time , or the ML 3 s and make Micro happy ( if he hasnt already sold them :) by then).
I ve owned a very good 300 B for a couple of years ,the Zanden 7000 .
Convergent JL 2 sign is faster , faster is determined in a large part by the power supply not so much the tubes imo.
And its heard to be convergent in that area , ive never seen a tube amp with that big a powersupply / powerbank.
Instant power means instant dynamics.

It's not only about which SETs you own it is what they pair up with. You can hear the speed of 2a3 on much lower priced amps when paired right. Why would someone compare convergent to a 2a3 on the same speaker?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
2a3 cannot drive speakers CAT, VTL or AR can. Those speakers are overpowered for the speakers 2a3 can drive. If you have a high sensitivity easy to drive speaker, you stay low watts on 2a3, 46, 45, 50, single ended pentode. If you need more power, Then you go up to 211 or lamm types, 300b in the middle. Then 833c , kronzilla. Then push pull if you like it. There could be other low watt tubes too. Many in fact

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I still dont understand your point , why would one not put the CAT on a 100 dB horn ?
If its quit enough , i dont see a reason why it would not sound good .
I ve heard a lot of those low powered flea amps before , at shows/ dealers i never was impressed.
May be you have a different expirience after all those private( tuned )systems you have heard

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I still dont understand your point , why would one not put the CAT on a 100 dB horn ?
If its quit enough , i dont see a reason why it would not sound good .
I ve heard a lot of those low powered flea amps before , at shows/ dealers i never was impressed.
May be you have a different expirience after all those private( tuned )systems you have heard
It won’t likely sound better than a well designed SET on such a speaker.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Guys put into equation also Tobian soundsystems KA100 PSET power amps...freakin awesome..made with 300b, 242, 46,,depends on your preference of tube sound signiture

Reactions: Argonaut

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Guys put into equation also Tobian soundsystems KA100 PSET power amps...freakin awesome..made with 300b, 242, 46,,depends on your preference of tube sound signiture
Didn't know they made a SET.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Never liked their speakers that much...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Thanks as always; that's good to know. Better transformers I suppose(?)
Quite possibly...google it as there were some reviews.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing