Munich High-End 2018 Ron Report: Ballfinger Reel-to-Reel Tape Machines

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Roland Schnider of Ballfinger was displaying three of his new reel-to-reel tape machines.

IMG_0162.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

I asked Roland if he has any plans to produce a 30ips machine. He said that he does intend to produce a 30ips, 1/4" machine. He said he also plans to produce a 1/2" machine!

The playback-only version of the machine costs less than $10,000. (For half a meter of fancy interconnect you can have a whole new source component!)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron, does this look like the Real Deal to you?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am not sure what the "real deal" means. Unlike the Horch House Revox, this absolutely is a real machine.

It looks very well thought out and well built, but it is impossible to know how the motors and the transport and the controller actual treat the tape compared to a new UHA or to a vintage Studer.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I am not sure what the "real deal" means. Unlike the Horch House Revox, this absolutely is a real machine.
It looks very well thought out and well built, but it is impossible to know how the motors and the transport and the controller actual treat the tape compared to a new UHA or to a vintage Studer.

Hello Ron,
They are on silent display only?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes. The machines function, but they were not connected to any stereo.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
One article on this deck stated the machine in your bottom photo did not have an "output amp". Which suggests that it is "head output" only. Don't know if that statement was accurate, though.

Yes, one of the versions is head output only.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Thanks for the pics .
Looking at the website and construction pics , solid design
This is indeed a completely new design and very nicely built, indeed no more escaping now for audiophiles who want the best.
Its also great for the recordingworld to have a modern sevicable deck , plus the price is very reasonable imo.
Who knows i might be in the market for one these.
Modular design plus a heads out direct for other tapeamps, looks well thought out designed.
Machined aluminium frame Nice

Last edited:

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Ron, thanks. I'm surprised that that the Ballfingers were silent. One of tape vendors told me they requested and he sent them a tape to demo during the show. Seems obvious that the sound quality is an unknown until we can actually hear it. Maybe it isn't quite ready for prime time. Larry

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
Ron, thanks. I'm surprised that that the Ballfingers were silent. One of tape vendors told me they requested and he sent them a tape to demo during the show. Seems obvious that the sound quality is an unknown until we can actually hear it. Maybe it isn't quite ready for prime time. Larry
Might have to do with the fact that they only had a small booth without listening cabin. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me to play a high end R2R machine in the middle of a noisy exhibition hall. As far as I know it's not easy to get a listening cabin in one of the halls, let alone a proper room in the atrium of the High End show. And that is not even talking about the costs for this, just the sheer possibility to get one in the first place.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Might have to do with the fact that they only had a small booth without listening cabin. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me to play a high end R2R machine in the middle of a noisy exhibition hall. As far as I know it's not easy to get a listening cabin in one of the halls, let alone a proper room in the atrium of the High End show. And that is not even talking about the costs for this, just the sheer possibility to get one in the first place.

Thanks, that would explain it. The vendor does read WBF and probably would be interested in knowing that his tape was not played. Larry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing