Thread: Hello from Connecticut

Hello from Connecticut

I'm Vito from Connecticut. Looking forward to posting and contributing to this wonderful forum. I really enjoy listening to my audio system
    which includes Wilson Sasha speakers, Levinson 33H amps, ARC Ref 5SE preamp, JL Audio f212 subs, Playback Designs MPS-5 w/ DSD capability. I have owned the Levinson amps for 16 years. Never had an issue but realize that they should be serviced with new caps and other updates if I want to
    keep them around. I already inquired about cost of updates but wanted some advise. I've been looking at other amp options such
    as the Sim Moon 870A and Pass Labs 260.8 monos that work well with the other components. Just wanted some insight before I finalize my decision. Thanks in advance.

Greetings Vito,

May want to look into the Connecticut Audio Society - 35 years strong - meets every other month - next meeting first sat in June

Charles

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Welcome, Vito! That sounds like a great system!
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, SchrŲder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Air Tight Opus-1; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse; line stage: VTL TL-7.5 Series III; amplifier: VTL Siegfried Series II; loudspeaker: Gryphon Pendragon; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Vintage Audio Nothing racks, Herzan TS-140/Taiko Tana for Io, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Torus AVR60BAL; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; acoustic treatment: ASC IsoThermal Tube Traps, Lumitex drapes

Vito,Italian name?

Member Sponsor [VIP/Donor] GaryProtein's Avatar
    Vito, welcome.

This is a great place!
    Listening Room: McIntosh C46, MCD500, MR78, MPI4, MC602 (2), Accuphase DG58, Pass Labs XVR1 (three-way), tri-amplified Infinity IRS Series V, TailTwister T2X rotator, AtlasSound FMA Rack, dedicated electrical sub-panel, boarded up fireplace, NO TV!

Living Room: McIntosh C28, MC2300, MEN220, Revox B226, Tascam CD355, Thorens TD125 MKII w/vacuum platter, Rabco SL-8E, Grace F9-Ruby, McIntosh ML-2C (2) & ML-1C (4) stacked, MQ-107, SAE 2800, Nakamichi Dragon, Tandberg 64X, JL Audio f113 (2)

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    Big welcome Vito
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    USA Dealer of Center Stage Feet and owner of PitchPerfect Sound (www.pitchperfectsound.com)
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    Welcome Vito!

I've owned and enjoyed the 33h's and the MPS-5. nice system!
    Wave Kin. NVS tt, AS-2000 ord. (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*MSB Select II dac w/33 Femto clock + mono powerbases, SGM serv + (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darT NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart 458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, *Tripoint Troy Sig + Elite, Entreq Sil Tel + Pos, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kin. A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

Addicted to Best!
    Welcome Vito! Regarding your question about recapping, i remember doing this with an old second Gryphon antileon. According to the company who arranged for the recapping (formerly a Gryphon distributor many years ago), his view was that once the caps were redone, the amp if otherwise well made and in good shape could run another 10 years. The primary element of 'age' in the Antileon was the capacitors. I did end up doing it, and it sounded so good I ended up reselling it for more than I had paid for it, including the recapping, years later!

The 33H is a legendary amp for a reason. While I cannot speak very authoritatively about how it compares to modern day amps, if you really love the amp, re-capping is a relatively inexpensive way to go another 5-10 years with a great amp. From my limited experience listening to the 33Hs, one area where you might be curious to see how newer SOTA amps might differ is in treble, noise floor, refinement/nuance.
    Speaker: Wilson X1 + Velodyne DD18+
    Source: Zanden 4Box Digital
    Amp: CJ GAT2 + Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable: TA Opus Gen5&MM2 + PAD 25th Sablon GCUber
    Isolation Sandwiches: Under: HRS.Stillpoints.Auralex Top: HRS.Artesania.Entreq.EAT.90kg Mass Damp
    Power/Ground/Shield: 7 + 16A Furutech . Burmester948 . NordostQX4 / Tripoint Troy Sig+Thor . Entreq Atlantis / Receivus/Everest/Wrap
    Room/Tube: Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex.Mullard
    Headphone: Sennheiser 650 . Arcam rHead . ApogeeGroove

Thanks for all kind replies. I’ve decided to have my current amplifiers
    recapped and updated. Honestly I could not part with the Levinson's for
    what I was to offered towards a trade. But more importantly I love how
    they sound with my setup. I’ll enjoy them even though if they weigh a ton
    and get fairly warm! Happy listening !

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by vrac View Post
    Thanks for all kind replies. Iíve decided to have my current amplifiers
    recapped and updated. Honestly I could not part with the Levinson's for
    what I was to offered towards a trade. But more importantly I love how
    they sound with my setup. Iíll enjoy them even though if they weigh a ton
    and get fairly warm! Happy listening !
    Congrats and best wishes!
    Speaker: Wilson X1 + Velodyne DD18+
    Source: Zanden 4Box Digital
    Amp: CJ GAT2 + Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable: TA Opus Gen5&MM2 + PAD 25th Sablon GCUber
    Isolation Sandwiches: Under: HRS.Stillpoints.Auralex Top: HRS.Artesania.Entreq.EAT.90kg Mass Damp
    Power/Ground/Shield: 7 + 16A Furutech . Burmester948 . NordostQX4 / Tripoint Troy Sig+Thor . Entreq Atlantis / Receivus/Everest/Wrap
    Room/Tube: Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex.Mullard
    Headphone: Sennheiser 650 . Arcam rHead . ApogeeGroove