The Arts | General Everything | Landscapes - Portraits - Wildlife - People - Things - Cars - Stereo

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The Art of David Hockney

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/david-hockney-studio-visit

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/art-features/8066839/David-Hockneys-iPad-art.html

One of his paintings, a young man standing by the swimming pool and looking @ a swimmer under water with a lush background, is supposed to fetch $80 million.

* https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...on-records-top-80-million-range/#.W51P5e6p69c

Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The Allure of Light was superb.

I like exquisitely detailed art--fine pencil drawings and paintings done under a magnifying glass with a two-haired brush (OK, that's a slight exaggeration). I'm almost more into the quality of the technique than the content. I occasionally bring surgical loupes to museums so I can critique the artist's abilities. Gail hates when I do that and sometimes the guards think I get too close, but the quality of the execution of the technique is really important to me.

Picasso was wonderful in his youth, then he sold out to produce the crap people know him for today.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Gary, you are an art connoisseur with surgical loupes (French word - loupe), please share some that you like.

There is no Art forum section @ WBF, I was going to start a new thread about David Hockney, from Los Angeles. Lots of stuff here, the guy is 81 and he explored with many new innovations. His art evolution is fascinating, his drawings, paintings...many of them are fantastic. Then I stumbled into this thread I started back in May, so it's perfect to add more artists here.
If this wasn't mainly an Audio Forum I would have a separate thread for each artist.
I'm not very big in talking to myself, I love interaction, other people's impressions, comments, critics, all that art jazz. ..Same with music and films, of course; I grew up surrounded by musicians, lived with them, played with few of them, worked with them and for them. I took photography and film history courses, I worked in photo labs, I worked with moving cameras, I projected films, I worked for international stars, I set up their lights, their cables, their microphones, get closed to them, emotionally and real close. It's in my blood, in my soul. ...The arts in everything, in paintings, in writings, with brushes, pencils and everything else.

Anything Arts...paintings, drawings, architecture, geometry, perspective, medium, sculpture, the grand masters, the various styles, art history, regions of the world, sketches, models, etc., etc., etc., are some of my most passionate interests. I went to Art school, I wanted to be an architect, I have some close relationships with various artists, great artists...painters, art teachers, musicians, etc. ...Some of the best.

So if there is something, some artists you really like or less, this is the spotlight.
Audio is an art, the passion that goes into setting everything right, the room, the decor, the acoustics, everything is a passionate audio art for the higher love of the music we love best, we know best and we newly discover/ed.

I know artists who are well calibrated financially, I know artists who are struggling, I know artists with all type of different soul. I know audio dealers who are some of my best friends, I know audio dealers with quick judgemental opinions, wrong opinions, I know audio dealers with a heart of gold, I know audio dealers with a heart of cold. It's an art to be a speaker's designer, a turntable's designer, an open-reel tape recording master.

I took Arts @ high school; paintings, drawings, sculptures, many mediums, I was among the tops of my classes...and many more. I have interests on all artists, it's my art...that interest.
Without it I wouldn't be here, and saying what I've just said. Same for you, same for everyone else here @ WBF. ...The best in everything including people and their art.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I like the old masters who did realistic paintings.

The list would have to start with Vermeer. His lighting, shadows and perspective were the best there ever was.

Velazquez, Fragonard, Brueghel, Sargent, Inness, Rubens, Van Dyke, Caravaggio, Wyeth, Rockwell, Da Vinci and a few others that don't immediately come to mind are some of the greatest painters and draftsmen of all time. I almost forgot, Van Gogh was an exquisite draftsman but I don't care for his paintings.

Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Where are the other people who enjoy art?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
. . . . I know artists who are well calibrated financially, I know artists who are struggling, I know artists with all type of different soul. . . . .I took Arts @ high school; paintings, drawings, sculptures, many mediums, I was among the tops of my classes...and many more. I have interests on all artists, it's my art...that interest. Without it I wouldn't be here, and saying what I've just said. Same for you, same for everyone else here @ WBF. ...The best in everything including people and their art.

It is very unfortunate that so many artists struggle throughout their lives only to have people who have bought and sold their works of art a generation or two after they died to have made extraordinary amounts of money.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
My favorite painter is Basquait, going to a showing in a few months in NYC.
018BA985-B4BF-4605-A6E3-F3AB38546DF9.jpeg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Where are the other people who enjoy art?

Everywhere, right here, the art of music listening. :b

It is very unfortunate that so many artists struggle throughout their lives only to have people who have bought and sold their works of art a generation or two after they died to have made extraordinary amounts of money.

Gary, it's part of reality. Some of the best artists; musicians, painters, ... are unknown. They are street people, rejected people by the society, struggling people with everyday challenges. Some turn into alcoholism, others into drugs...heroin, cocaine, ...they steal in order to subsist.

There was a street man not long ago in the news; a young woman's car run out of gas, he gave her his last twenty dollar bill, she started a fund for him, the fund for him collected $400,000, she and her boyfriend kept all the money for themselves! This is life, the rich rejects the poor even when the poor gives all what they have, the rich steal from the poor, money is a drug. If you didn't see that news just tell me and I will give you a link*.

Some artists don't get the chance to have their art exposed, to be discovered, appreciated.
And like you said, some do years, hundred years later after they committed suicide, or died of sickness.

* https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...nny-400-000-raised-homeless-veteran-gone.html

My favorite painter is Basquait, going to a showing in a few months in NYC.
View attachment 43779

I like him too, he died way too young.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Michel_Basquiat

Art galleries, museums are cool places to hang out on rainy days, when hurricanes are unleashing hell outside.

Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Here'a a famous portrait by John Singer Sargent.

"Dr. Pozzi at home"

Dr. Pozzi is/was a gynecologist. At the museum show (I think it was the Museum of Modern Art in NYC) we saw in the middle of 2015 (I checked my Amazon orders because I bought Gail a book with all the paintings in the Sargent Show), Dr. Pozzi was described as a gynecologist and his hands were specifically described in the catalog as having long slender fingers!

The internet photo doesn't do justice to the quality of the lighting.

I wonder if our fearless leader, Steve, has a similar portrait.:D

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
He was purported to be a sexy, stylish gynecologist!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Oh, but he is interesting. He has too because that painting is part of the museum.
And the more I read about him from wiki the more interesting he becomes. ...Some interesting stories.

Gary, you made me aware of a very interesting man, a gynecologist with the hands/fingers of a an artist in his own right, the master of his domain. He was French too.
How did you find him, how did you come up with this artist gynecologist?
Do you think that all that red from that painting has anything to do with blood?

* Do you agree with people who found him sexy?
Stylish, yes I can see some of that...he has the pose, the moustache and the beard and the bathrobe.
He reminds me of Hugh Hefner, without the moustache and the beard.
But Hugh wasn't a gynecologist, was he?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Oh, but he is interesting. He has too because that painting is part of the museum.
And the more I read about him from wiki the more interesting he becomes. ...Some interesting stories.

Gary, you made me aware of a very interesting man, a gynecologist with the hands/fingers of a an artist in his own right, the master of his domain. He was French too.
How did you find him, how did you come up with this artist gynecologist?
Do you think that all that red from that painting has anything to do with blood?

* Do you agree with people who found him sexy?
Stylish, yes I can see some of that...he has the pose, the moustache and the beard and the bathrobe.
He reminds me of Hugh Hefner, without the moustache and the beard.
But Hugh wasn't a gynecologist, was he?

I can definitely see women finding him sexy. He is a tall well built man. You said "the master of his domain," I wonder if he was also the master of women's domain (a la Jerry Seinfeld) as well. :D The painting is life sized--91" tall. It's definitely reminsicent of a High Hefner pose. https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/644345

I first saw this painting at the Sargent show at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in mid-2015 when Gail and I saw the Sargent show there. Being red and life sized, it would have been hard to miss. A I am sure all the red in the painting has to do with a woman's cycle and his being a gynecologist. His fingers are definitely conspicuously positioned in the painting.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I love the pencil and charcoal. That's a beautiful piece.

Years ago when I did more photography, I used medium format black and white and using the Zone System with three film backs to have contraction, normal and expansion levels of contrast. Black and white is the art of photography and draftsmanship.

Thank you for the article on Dr. Pozzi. It was very interesting and the portrait of Sarah Bernhardt was perfectly executed, having details in the shadows as well as the highlights.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Even when dying (shot four times in the stomach) Dr. Pozzi remained calm and composed.
The painting of him with all that red is interesting, but not particularly my soothing cup of tea. Red is aggressive, surgical, manipulator, showoff, all that bloody jazz.
As for the level of attraction, viewed by women, I have zero clue. ...Back then, and today. What does attract most women in most men? Only a real woman can answer that.
One of my friends said it's his guitar playing, the serenades...the songs he wrote and played, plus the security...financial. ...The paintings he made of her too, he's a pro painter and pro musician/songwriter.
I think there are many answers, as many as there are women.

I was drawing early, before 10, and I did a pencil sketch of Sophia Loren. My brother stole it later on. Was it a good drawing? You betcha, or he wouldn't have stolen it.
Designers run in the family, my Dad was a graphic designer before he was dealing in the steel industry, with Americans, Europeans, Chinese, ...
His brother is/was a designer too, furniture, rooms, hotels, ... He designed my room when I was seven.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing