The best Dipoles, Dipoles that can do bass?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What is attracting you towards big Tannoy's?

I heard a pair of modded canterburys which were very musical. Low cost set up, with a TD 124 and Ikeda and SPU, Radford amps. These are front vented bass reflex speakers, you can put them in the corners, the guy who owned them was classical music educated, he refused to buy LPs costing over 5 - 6 quid (strictly no originals or reissues), but whatever we put on his TT was enjoyable. Lieder, renaissance, baroque, orchestral - I can't say it did fantastic violin or bass or vocals or piano...it just did everything very good. There are better speakers. But let's say this was the restored 124/garrard equivalent of speakers. Extremely satisfying, though those who can afford the set up room and costs of large of horns or panels should go with panels or horns.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I urged Ked to go and hear the above Tannoys a number of times. He went eventually despite being skeptical.

It is a really nice pair of Tannoys. However they are a custom job with special cabinets and uprated crossovers etc etc. They make the best of what is fed to them and are good all rounders, even well outside the bounds of classical music, which their owner prefers.

More info here, though sadly all the photos were Photobucket.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I had Soundlab A1 and mono sub Soundlab B1 drive by Mark Levinson N20 bridge,400 watt,and the bass was much better that the bass of Apogee full range with Krell 200 reference
I could listen in my room long 9 mt the 16 hz of the organ record of Miller & Kreisel.You don't listen music but listen 16 hz in your body
The best bass i listen in my 43 years of hifi
Really incredible

A good friend has this SoundLab B1 in storage. It is a very curious electrostatic subwoofer with dual diaphragms, extreme large and even wider than the A1's. If it was not for the size and weight I would like to try it with my Soundlab' s. :cool:

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I had ML LNC 2 cut at 100 hz,so A1 was working starting from 100 hz and mid high was much better and the B1,big like the Soundlab A6,was very impressive

Here my system in 1992 without B1 that arrived later,but with 4 ML N 20 bridged ready for B1

IMG_2885.jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow the sub is additionally wider than the A1? That will be one massive system

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Tried to find some B1 pics quickly it Google but could not.

Anyone got one?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Attachments

• B-1 Electrostatic Sub-woofer 001.jpg
    B-1 Electrostatic Sub-woofer 001.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 185

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I had ML LNC 2 cut at 100 hz,so A1 was working starting from 100 hz and mid high was much better and the B1,big like the Soundlab A6,was very impressive

Here my system in 1992 without B1 that arrived later,but with 4 ML N 20 bridged ready for B1

It is one of my projects for the next months - using my spare pair of old Soundlab A1 as subs with the JLAudio CR-1!

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I had Soundlab A1 and mono sub Soundlab B1 drive by Mark Levinson N20 bridge,400 watt,and the bass was much better that the bass of Apogee full range with Krell 200 reference
I could listen in my room long 9 mt the 16 hz of the organ record of Miller & Kreisel.You don't listen music but listen 16 hz in your body
Really incredible

I did something similar with Acoustats. I used Spectra 2200 down to 100hz and Spectra 4400 (2.4 meter tall and 65cm wide) from 100 down to 20hz. They were flat to 20 and most amazing bass I have heard. Even better than my IRS Betas and way better than my or friends Apogees, which I like a lot, btw.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

View attachment 40762

I used an Accuphase F25.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
ESS Transar

AmazonAudio Amazon 1 speaker

Lotus Audio speaker

Linkwitz speakers

Emerald Physics

Goebel

etc

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Gobel are definitely on the shortlist
Of the others Emerald Physics are the only one i am aware of.

I must admit I've also strayed into looking at horns
The Aries Cerat system looks very interesting, i feel a road trip coming on once their UK installation is finalised.
I've also rekindled my interest in Rey Audio Kinoshita Monitors.
I'm advised by Shozo Kinoshita that the RM7-VC prefers a slightly larger room than my current space, he advises 8.5m length whereas i have 7.2m, so ive asked if the RM6-VC is the way forward.

I'm still ruminating on the big Apogee Grands as suggested by Ked, and have taken onboard the view that Tannoy Westminster Royals not as dynamic as the Apogees, to my surprise

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Where are you?

Anywhere near Bristol and you can come and hear my Apogee Duetta Interstellas - upgraded Duetta Sigs. Mid bass speed and slam is off the scale when compared to Tannoy Westminsters.

For speed in any area of the frequency range, they are extremely quick. Rise times that compare with the best amplifiers (OK I read that somewhere, I can't prove it as fact, but they do sound incredibly "fast").

That's really jolly kind of you, thank you.
I'm on the Scottish Border.

What would you say are the disadvantages of the Apogee sound - philosophy?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Fly to Schipol and listen to the apogee grands. One day trip.

Two questions if i may?

Why Schipol,

And would a standard pair or a restored or modified pair be the ones to chase?
There's a pair of HigherFi atm

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Restored pair. Less than an hour from schipol is a top restorer who has worked for 8 years on his. Go listen to it. If you don't like it, drop apogees. Focus on horns.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
The below is a video of a 320Kbps MP3 of Jim Keltner's Improvisation from an Usher test disk.

Underneath it is a link to the same track recorded using a Rowland Edirol you see in the video by the sound pressure meter.

Make no mistake this test track is really hissy with additional LF noise from somewhere - no noise reduction on analogue tape from a long time ago. However, the recording has plenty of slam, which makes it an impressive listen.

If you follow the link you can download the 44.1KHz uncompressed .wav recording, which is better quality than the camera mic, obviously. Compare the two for fun, but you'd have to be pretty mad to bother doing it, I accept that. Play loud, though, if you do. The .WAV download contains the bass the camera mic misses along with other improvements in quality, I think.

The problem is when played back on my dynamic Mark & Daniels, they can't convey the sheer speed of the Apogees. However, I think all will agree you can tell the speakers aren't slow (and have real balls), LOL.

Just a bit of fun don't take it too seriously. Feel free to say it sounds bad, but I can tell you in room it is astonishing. This on properly tricked out restored Full Range must be astonishing+++.

We're getting 96 odd DB from nominally 80 Watt tube amps here, with a bit of headroom to spare yet, from an Apogee. Take note of that - the Duetta never was really hard to drive.

Note my Lampizator is away being fixed/modified, and I am simply using a £100 Chinese DAC, a Xiang Sheng DAC-01A, with a Western Electric 396A in it. Amazingly good for the money.

Make sure you play back at at least 720P.

The track is a pretty well known hi-fi show track.

The Rowland Edirol .WAV version download.

I love the way you can see the membranes shiver....do you have the blue lights behind the panels?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Really incredible

Are they still available new, or strictly vintage like the Apogees?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

View attachment 40762

Very impressive.....how many channels of amplification required, when including the B1?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Are they still available new, or strictly vintage like the Apogees?

Apogees come in New ribbons, modern crossover components like duelund, and much better structure than before. So not exactly vintage

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing