PH-3 interfacing

Guglielmo

Aug 19, 2010
Hello,

Recently I acquired a PH3 phono preamp to be mated with LS7 line stage. Unfortunately I am not sure that this combination may be driven by a 0.2-0.3mV output MC cartridge.

Before testing and soldering the different resistors to get the suitable load I would like to know your thought about this issue. Actually I get this AR couple to utilise my several MC carts avoiding additional step-up transformer but I have some doubt whether this may be accomplished with clear dynamics and low S/N.

May be that I have to change this phono preamp with other one? The AR Reference Phono could be a better choice? I had the occasion to buy it but someone told me that it is too much for my LS-7 line stage.

Consider that I prefer full vacuum technology design.

Moreover: wishing listening with headphones directy to power amp (my wonderful VT-50) how may I connect it? Why AR don't foresee headphones outputs in their power amps?

Thank you for useful tech help!

Guglielmo

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
new-ish gsi-75 integrated from arc has a headphone socket. also, you can option in a phono stage module as well.

ph-3 has low max gain of around 52db, so you will need at least 0.5 - 0.6mv cart in order for it to work well.
0.2-0.3 is very low output.

Reactions: Down Under

Carlos Villarreal

May 20, 2020
hello , i still have the ph3 phonostage and use to have a Ls7, Yes i agree with the above that You should look at cartridge with at least .5 mv output. or you could get SUT (step up transformer), i currently use an old Entre Et 100 with good results with my Ph3 and with low output mc cartridges.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Hi you need if you plan to use a low out cart 0.2-0.3 mv you’ll definitely need a mc step up transformer . You won’t need it if your using a medium output mc cartridge .

Carlos I use to have the Entre ET100 back in the day , I used it w/ my ARC SP6E , it worked well w/ my Cartridge ( Koetsu Black) . The Entre was highly recommended by the dealer from Hong Kong . I think Entre is the forerunner of the company My Sonic Lab

Carlos Villarreal

May 20, 2020
Exactly tdh888 , Entre designer was Matsudaira San, who now runs My Sonic labs, and apparently sells its SUT for around 5k. I got mine for around 500 dlls a few years ago, it weights the same and does not even has 3 inputs and impedance selector ,if i remember well. i don,t think SUT technolgy changes that often, so I think its a good thing to pick up those vintage SUT,s and just do a fresh internal rewire,

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing