Power Conditioning Advice

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Balanced power is one way of power conditioning. Are you interested in balanced input , balanced output or both?

I don't really know since I am just starting to look at this. When you say balanced input or output can you explain what you mean? If I went to an Equi=tech unit doesn't that provide me with balanced output?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Yes, Equi=tech makes balanced transformers.

Balanced means that on the Line and Neutral wires you instead have +60v and -60v, so both blades on a power cord plug become hot, and ground remains ground. On a normal power system only Line is hot at 120v, and neutral has no juice.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Balanced means that on the Line and Neutral wires you instead have +60v and -60v, so both blades on a power cord plug become hot, and ground remains ground. On a normal power system only Line is hot at 120v, and neutral has no juice.

Thanks. That part I read and get. I didn't know what was meant by balanced input or output. I assume what comes out of an Equi=tech unit, either a panel or shelf mount, is balanced out.

I have an opportunity to demo a model Q 2RQ which I think I will do.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Part of it is driven by my interest in balanced power which I realize isn't the same as power conditioning. There isn't any bad with the Dmitri so I am just exploring.

I am using the Mongoose right now. Who makes the X20 and X30?

CHacoustic designed and made the HZ. The X20 and X30 are better. I have the X20 and use it to feed my RSA unit.

http://chacoustic.com

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I don't really know since I am just starting to look at this. When you say balanced input or output can you explain what you mean? If I went to an Equi=tech unit doesn't that provide me with balanced output?

Yes,Equitech is balanced output, but if you operate it in the US with 240V you also get balanced input. IMHO balanced input is more important than balanced output.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Yes,Equitech is balanced output, but if you operate it in the US with 240V you also get balanced input. IMHO balanced input is more important than balanced output.

Why is balanced input more important?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Balanced input rejects common mode noise coming from two equal long lines, that can be significant. In your home the Equitech will be close (a few meters) of the equipment, the main advantage of the 60V dual supply is mainly reducing the ground leakage through equipment filters.

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
If you use a wall mount one it may not necessarily be close. MikeL has his farther away, as does at least one other member, and at least one has it close. I would prefer farther away, and use my Lillies meant for them.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Why is balanced input more important?

If you go with balanced output just make sure you know how it works. I personally have a very bad allergic reaction to my cold being hot. It scares others too.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
If you go with balanced output just make sure you know how it works. I personally have a very bad allergic reaction to my cold being hot. It scares others too.

Can you be more specific? Is there some danger you are referring to?

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA

As others have said, nuetral is hot in a balanced system. Just be aware that both will bite you not just the hot.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
In a normal US type system.
Hot has 120V when referenced to Neutral or Safety Ground.
In a balanced system, there is no Neutral so:
Hot #1 has 120V when referenced to Hot #2.
Either Hot has 60V when referenced to Safety Ground.

Unfortunately the transformers in hi-fi components are not balanced so they can't take full advantage of balanced power.
In fact the well designed units, take the Hot/Neutral imbalance into account.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
There are clearly different camps here as to the ability for one's equipment to work with balanced power.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
If you use a wall mount one it may not necessarily be close. MikeL has his farther away, as does at least one other member, and at least one has it close. I would prefer farther away, and use my Lillies meant for them.

Maybe but I think only bad things can occur the farther away the transformer lives from the system. I am not sure why you would prefer this if avoidable.

I have 5 equal-length, 10-gauge, ncf furtech, shielded lines that run only 15 feet each from my 75 amp wall mount Torus to ncf receptacles. The Torus is balanced 240V in and unbalanced 120V out. This ensures clean, high instantaneous current with voltage regulation and equal potential at each ground receptacle to mitigate ground loops. (The 75 amp transformer is of course wired as a completely separate electrical system with its own 1 inch by 8 ft copper ground rod and 400 lbs of grounding mix.) The noise floor is nil.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..Nordost QB8/QX4..does it sound good?...I think so...just knowing it’s there it offers the warm and fuzzies

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

No danger if properly implemented - but you need ground-fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) protection on the output of the balancing transformer - it is mandatory.

In most european countries, as shucko plugs are symmetrical, normally we are not aware of what wire is neutral or live.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
No danger if properly implemented - but you need ground-fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) protection on the output of the balancing transformer - it is mandatory.

In most european countries, as shucko plugs are symmetrical, normally we are not aware of what wire is neutral or live.

Thanks.

I am reading an old thread which compares Torus (balanced in) to Equi=tech (balanced out).

I am trying to understand if the non-wall mounted units are close to the wall mounted ones.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Maybe but I think only bad things can occur the farther away the transformer lives from the system. I am not sure why you would prefer this if avoidable.

I have 5 equal-length, 10-gauge, ncf furtech, shielded lines that run only 15 feet each from my 75 amp wall mount Torus to ncf receptacles. The Torus is balanced 240V in and unbalanced 120V out. This ensures clean, high instantaneous current with voltage regulation and equal potential at each ground receptacle to mitigate ground loops. (The 75 amp transformer is of course wired as a completely separate electrical system with its own 1 inch by 8 ft copper ground rod and 400 lbs of grounding mix.) The noise floor is nil.

15ft isn't so bad, when I say longer I certainly don't mean over 50ft. Also I don't think or feel about why I would, I have deliberate measurable concerns when it comes to an Equi=tech. The Torus is probably a better unit. But I ultimately would not use a transformer anyway, personally.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
The more I research the more options I am finding:

1 - Balanced in (Torus) vs.
2 - Balanced out (Equi=tech)
3 - Wall Panel
4 - Shelf unit

This is just supposed to be for my sources and pre-amp. I didn't plan on doing anything for my amps but I guess if I get a wall unit it would supply power to my amps too.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing